Beta Readers - TSD Book

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As many of you know, I've been writing a book on teaching a close quarter form application TSD system. I've written about this book in a lot of places elsewhere, but suffice to say, there is a lot of excitement on this board. So, I had a novel idea. How about arranging some beta reading right here on the forum. I'm not sure if I'll post the text directly into the forum due to intellectual property issues, but I may just do it anyways as I know how hard it actually is to publish. We'll see, let me know if you are interested and what you think would be the best way to do it.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As many of you know, I've been writing a book on teaching a close quarter form application TSD system. I've written about this book in a lot of places elsewhere, but suffice to say, there is a lot of excitement on this board. So, I had a novel idea. How about arranging some beta reading right here on the forum. I'm not sure if I'll post the text directly into the forum due to intellectual property issues, but I may just do it anyways as I know how hard it actually is to publish. We'll see, let me know if you are interested and what you think would be the best way to do it.

Count me in, J!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two things:

First, I'd contact Brian R. VanCise regarding e-publishing your book. I know he's done a couple that way.

Second, I'd be interested in reading your book.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One idea I had was to scan the chapters into PDFs and then post them in this forum so my betas could get at it easier. I am wondering if that would cause problems by getting it out too publically before its ready. Or maybe someone would just blatantly rip me off. It could happen regardless and I am just excited to get some ideas out so I'd like to hear what you think. I'm on the fence.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One idea I had was to scan the chapters into PDFs and then post them in this forum so my betas could get at it easier. I am wondering if that would cause problems by getting it out too publically before its ready. Or maybe someone would just blatantly rip me off. It could happen regardless and I am just excited to get some ideas out so I'd like to hear what you think. I'm on the fence.

There are plenty of people out there who are just waiting to grab any good idea that anyone else has and market it as their own. I think a certain caution might be useful at this point, John. I'd hate to see the hard work I know you're putting into this—'cause you've been thinking about this a loooong time, I know—get exploited by someone else.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're serious about publishing and 'beta' distributing, I would PDF it up, and distribute on a limited basis. Perhaps the proper solution is to upload to a file sharing service inside a password protected archive, and be cautious about who you give the link and password to.

Perhaps an NDA of some sort is appropriate. (I doubt it, but you never know with IP...)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

John the best thing to do is pick a few people and send them by e-mail what you have and let them reply, this way no need to worry and have each person sign a confi. agreement to assure proper steps.

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wouldnt put it on the web if you plan on publishing. I would love to proof read though for you.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not a TSD'er but I'd love to take a read, if you were interested in someone from the "outside" looking at what you have written. :asian:

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think we're all excited to read what you've been working so hard on, but I agree that you want to watch how much you give out to just anyone. I would love to see some really good books on TSD start appearing on the shelves. I agree with the earlier suggestion of just selecting a few individuals for a trial run. Let them read it, present their critiques, and then work through it some more before that big step: publishing.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. I am very excited about this, obviously. I am on the downhill slope as far as the book is concerned. The major work is done and now I'm just wrapping up the final chapters. This will be put together for reading probably by the end of the month.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're serious about publishing and 'beta' distributing, I would PDF it up, and distribute on a limited basis. Perhaps the proper solution is to upload to a file sharing service inside a password protected archive, and be cautious about who you give the link and password to.

Perhaps an NDA of some sort is appropriate. (I doubt it, but you never know with IP...)
That's my take, too.

I'd start with people you respect for their knowledge & experience specific to TSD. And I'd include a few for just plain "editorial" reads, that don't need to know the TSD side -- but can catch grammar screw-ups, inconsistencies, and the like. Keep it a closed distribution, and I'd put disclaimers on it. Not that you aren't sending it to folks you trust -- but they can accidentally drop a page or whatever...

Then I'd consider a wider "beta" read. While that's happening -- do the research for e-publishing or find an appropriate print house to do the job.

Latest Discussions