Best moments

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What was your best moment in your TKD training and why do you remember that particular moment?
Terry

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
So far my best Tae Kwon Do moment came when I attempted a spinning crescent. I did it perfectly. This is a big deal for me because I wear two leg braces all the time, unless I am sleeping. So now my favorite kicks are spinning crescent, spinning heel and spinning wheel.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
What was your best moment in your TKD training and why do you remember that particular moment?
Terry

I'm not a Master, or even a full time teacher, but as the highest ranking TKD BB in my school I do end up teaching a lot. For me, the best times early in my training were when I suddenly "got" a difficult technique that had been giving me trouble.
Now, even better, I find my most rewarding moments are when I can help someone else "get" a technique or a concept that had been eluding them.
It's especially gratifying when it's someone with low self confidence, or an autistic kid, or someone with any kind of special challenge. The look on their face when you help them "get it/do it" correctly is worth every dollar and every drop of sweat I've spent in my training over the years.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One was when I got all my breaking requirements done, for my rec. black, lst and 2nd.

As others have said the best moments now are when someone comes up to me and thanks me for teaching them. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me teaching is the best reward. Seeing the student not being able to grasp a specific concept then spending "x" amount of time with them and finally; they understand what is expected. They smile and say thanks afterwards. To me that's better than anything else.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's funny, I never thought I'd like teaching as much as I have. But, I absolutely love it. Best moment so far, tying yellow belts on my students!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Breaking with a head-high twist kick at testing. I hadn't told my sahbum what I was planning, and the look of shock on his face when I said that was my choice, and then breaking with it, was worth the months I spent practicing the kick.

Also see this thread from Favorite Martial Arts Memory

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine was my 1st gup test. After failing the first time around, I worked my **** off for the second time. I passed with flying colors.

And the tourny the week before that test. I beat out people I lost to before, and got second place (out of 8 ... 6 were BB's).

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
on my first test as a white belt, when it was done, master Ceth jordan told me i would make a good instructor some day. also i love helping lower ranks and seeing and helping them through there tough times.
its humbling becoming humble lol

with respect
painstain

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
successfully completing my first bb test - I had an instructor who could make you determined to do anything. To this day I wish I could have continued to train with him, unfortunatley we moved a distance away and its not feasible.

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
My fave moment in the dojang....lets see, it has to be when my old TKD instructor and I were sparring and he done a turning kick and missed (hehe), as he done the turning kick I done a spinning hook kick and knocked him off his feet, he landed on his wrist and fractured it.

This is my favourate moment in the dojang because my old TKD instructor is a bully and only spars with people who are a lower rank than him in TKD, I think he does it because he is a whimp.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Finishing a fight, winning it, turning around, and having my instructor standing there beaming, and his first words to me were. "See. I told you you could do it. I'm proud of you"
even better was, when I lost my next fight, "Wow. You just fought so well, your improvements are amazing."
This meant so much, as I hold the utmost respect for him, and he often has a hard time telling people that they're working up to his expectations.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have 2 memorable moments in my training:

1. Aceing my yellow belt test. I so wanted to move beyond being a newbie white belt that I really wanted to tear it up and perform so well at that first color belt test. Maybe I was over-hyped for it... :uhyeah:

2. Preparing for my first full contact sparring competition. I just wanted to get that first tourney in, get my feet wet and start getting some TKD sparring experience. That first tourney, scrapping in front of a crowd at a sports arena was a rush and great fun even though I lost in the prelims. I still got my shots in though... :ultracool

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

I'm really excited. I had a pretty good moment today. I am a Brown Belt/4th Gup in TKD and I participated in my first organizational Black Belt workout this morning.

Towards the end of the workout we did some free sparing. I ended up matched up with a 4th Dan. We exchanged a few punches and kicks kind of feeling each other out. Then as he leaned in with a front punch with his right hand I timed a check with my left hand and slipped in close and got body control. I pushed him forward a bit and he resisted and pressed back which set him up for a sweep and throw backwards. As I am taking him down I feel his right arm still pretty much on my shoulder and before I even knew it I had him in a wicked arm bar on the floor and he was tapping out. Woo Hoo! I was so geeked.

As we got back up off the floor he paid what I considered a complement to my instructor by saying, "You're one of Kenny's students, aren't ya."

"Yes Sir"

Just thought I would share a big moment for me. Thanks!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm refreshing this, because I like what was being asked... Thoughts/ experiences, anyone?

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Best moment for me was knocking out my opponent at my BB test with a spinning kick. I never intended to do one but that ol' "muscle memory" kicked in so to speak.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
My best memory was winning my first gold medal. I hadn't planned on entering the tournament, but at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to compete. Just about everyone else from my dojang went to Portland for National Qualifiers, but the few that did show up with me cheered me on during my fights. I fought two fighters that were in it to win it, and when you're competing, that's what you want to go against. I fought being knocked out in the first round after getting kicked square in the chin, but hung in there to take that guy down. A minute after that fight I was fighting another guy and won. I was soaked with sweat and my jaw felt like it was gonna fall off any second, but it was worth it. Perfect strangers complimented me on my fights as I made my way back to my table to ref again.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I had a young lady in my school who has now gone off to college. When she started with us, she was so shy we practically had to pry her off her mom's leg to get her on the floor.

On the day she earned her Second Degree, her mom came up to us and started to say something, then burst into tears. When she calmed down, she said, "Thank you so much for what you have done for my daughter. You have given her confidence and discipline and the desire to be the best she can possibly be."

That is why I keep my doors open, even if I have to pay the rent out of my own pocket. There is nothing in the world that can compare to the knowledge that you are doing something positive in people's lives.

Latest Discussions