Benchmade to re-release the Hobbit line?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nifty knife, in the right, (hell even wrong) hands it could mean devastating wounds.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope the rumors are true.

Although I am not sure about using it as a civilian EDC, I really like the design for what it is intended for (a reverse grip fighter).

From what I understand, REKAT had trouble using the Hobbit name from Disney Co. for the knife. Perhaps they'll have to change the name?

Either way, no mattter what its called, I hope Mr. Taylor gets his design revived!

Paul

E

Emptyglass

Hi there:

Actually the problem would have been with the Tolkien Estate and/or Saul Zaentz who own the rights to the works the name is drawn from. The use of the name Hobbit on a product without permission would have been a violation of copyright law in the US and some other countries.

Rich Curren

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Emptyglass said:
Hi there:

Actually the problem would have been with the Tolkien Estate and/or Saul Zaentz who own the rights to the works the name is drawn from. The use of the name Hobbit on a product without permission would have been a violation of copyright law in the US and some other countries.

Rich Curren

Yea, I have no idea. This would have been pre-lord of the rings movies, so it may have had something to do with the 1970's cartoon version? I had heard that Disney had something to do with going after REKAT for the hobbit name, but it very well could have been a different entitiy...

Paul

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Rumors are out that Benchmade owns the patents to these knife designs of Bob Taylor originally made by REKAT and may be doing a production run soon! I handled one many years ago and always regretted not getting it. Its an excellent design.

Those of you who are not familiar with the hobbit go here http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/HobbitWarrior.asp
I bought a pocket hobbit from REKAT a couple years back. I looked everywhere for one and was actually told they weren't made anymore, when I managed to find Bob Taylor's phone number and I ordered one directly. It's a wonderful folder and I love the fact that it's designed for reverse grip and trapping. I've always wanted one of the Hobbit Warriors, though, heck of a wicked weapon. I'll have to get one if they reissue.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I definitely like the look of this blade. :) You say there was a folder? are there any pictures? I'm curious to see how that style of blade would go into a handle, and still have a decent draw.

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I sold the Hobbit and the import copy for years, until the Tolkein lawyers contacted me and threatened legal action merely for selling at retail the product which was thusly named. I can still obtain the copy version and sell it but I cannot advertise it. These things are too HEAVY and I don't see much practical value, myself. Sorry to be a wet blanket. You could carry a good fighting knife and a loaded hideout polymer framed pistol for the same weight.

I prefer a medium weight Bowie, Kukri, or other fighting knife style. IMO a knife is not a pry bar or a way to split wood. If you want something with greater power and a tool, get a Junglee Skinning axe. If you want a razor sharp fighting knife there are many better designs, JMHO, having handled them all.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AC_Pilot said:
These things are too HEAVY and I don't see much practical value, myself. Sorry to be a wet blanket. You could carry a good fighting knife and a loaded hideout polymer framed pistol for the same weight.

While I agree the original Warrior was way too large to carry, the Hobbit Warrior was more practical. I am hoping that they produce the Pygmy Hobbit which will be even more compact.

This thread kind of goes hand-in-hand with the reverse grip thread. If you don't see value in reverse grip fighting, than most likely you won't see value in a knife designed for reverse grip.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that this isn't a practical carry knife; mostly for legal reasons.

However, I am sure that in the right hands this can be deadly enough. Also, although it is designed for reverse grip, I could see many forward grip applications as well...

Paul

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I agree that this isn't a practical carry knife; mostly for legal reasons.

However, I am sure that in the right hands this can be deadly enough. Also, although it is designed for reverse grip, I could see many forward grip applications as well...

Paul
If someone is in to reverse edge training, they are definitely the knife to carry. I prefer a forward grip myself, but I definitely am impressed by the rear edge trapping power of those vicious teeth. I bought the pocket hobbit mostly because I just wanted one. I don't carry it, preferring an Benchmade CQC7 and a CRKT M16-SRT. It's still an interesting conversation piece, the belt clip draw and the reverse openning are interesting, but require time to master.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
If someone is in to reverse edge training, they are definitely the knife to carry. I prefer a forward grip myself, but I definitely am impressed by the rear edge trapping power of those vicious teeth. I bought the pocket hobbit mostly because I just wanted one. I don't carry it, preferring an Benchmade CQC7 and a CRKT M16-SRT. It's still an interesting conversation piece, the belt clip draw and the reverse openning are interesting, but require time to master.

For a civilian, though, the knife isn't legally prudent to carry...

Paul

L

latchless

For what it's worth, Benchmade owns the patent for the "Rolling Lock" previously owned by R.E.K.A.T knives. That may be the source of the wishfull thinking/rumors around the Hobbit.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
For a civilian, though, the knife isn't legally prudent to carry...

Paul
I'll give you that, it's a vicious looking blade and any jury it's shown too will wince. So will your attorney. Better a knife with a "utility look". The hobbit looks like it was made for one thing...opening a human body.