Beginning Again--old, fat, with a kid and a bum knee.

Chib

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm contemplating a return to martial arts. From ages 10-15, I studied Yuan Wa Ryu (although, I guess it was mostly Tae Kwon Do) and LOVED it. I was devoted, at the dojang for every class, and I based my life around learning martial arts.

At a national championship, I tore my ACL sparring, and after surgery and healing, my mother wouldn't allow me to continue. My plan was to get back into it on my own time and money during college, but things happened, I had a child and divorced, etc. before I was 20.

My question is, where do I go from here? I'm almost 24, about 40 lbs overweight post-childbirth, and my knee still gave me trouble when I tried out a class at some random dojang about 2 years back. I'm of the "train hard or don't bother" school of thought, so I'm really uninterested in doing one of those fitnessy faux-kickboxing classes, but it almost feels like I'm unready to play with the big kids anymore.

Should I wait to start training until I get back in shape?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm contemplating a return to martial arts. From ages 10-15, I studied Yuan Wa Ryu (although, I guess it was mostly Tae Kwon Do) and LOVED it. I was devoted, at the dojang for every class, and I based my life around learning martial arts.

At a national championship, I tore my ACL sparring, and after surgery and healing, my mother wouldn't allow me to continue. My plan was to get back into it on my own time and money during college, but things happened, I had a child and divorced, etc. before I was 20.

My question is, where do I go from here? I'm almost 24, about 40 lbs overweight post-childbirth, and my knee still gave me trouble when I tried out a class at some random dojang about 2 years back. I'm of the "train hard or don't bother" school of thought, so I'm really uninterested in doing one of those fitnessy faux-kickboxing classes, but it almost feels like I'm unready to play with the big kids anymore.

You ain't old, you ain't fat, but if you still have a bum knee, I'd consider seeing a sports medicine doctor before engaging in MA training again, see what he or she thinks your knee is up for.

I'm 48, and, well, let's say I don't have childbirth as an excuse, and I blew past 40 pounds overweight about 20 years ago. I sweat just doing kata. That doesn't mean I don't give it all I have. I say if your doc says the knee is good, go for it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

First Welcome

Now I am sorry... I don't want to do this... but it is required whenever someone in their 20s says they are old.

OLD :eek: ... I have leather jackets older than you... I'm working on 24 too...FOR THE SECOND TIME!!!! :tantrum: You're not old you're still a kid for crying out loud :D

OK... I'm calm now :D.... now you are not old and if you want to go back to MA then do it. People train MA for various reasons, self-defense, get in shape, stay in shape, etc. Very few show up in the shape Bruce Lee was so just go train and enjoy the training.

:asian:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chib, I started TKD when I was 55... six years ago. I passed my fairly severe first dan test this past autumn with strength in reserve. So my sentiments about your view of your age are the same as Xue's, except even more so!! :D

As me mum would say, you're still at the breakfast of life...

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, no. I had a similar path, in that I was into martial arts as a teenager (15-17), took a long break during college, and didn't get back to it until my 30's. Now have two kids, and blew out an ACL about 3 years ago (tripped over my ego... it's a long story).

Use the training to get you back into shape, and design a plan around it that might include aerobics, weight training, changing eating habits, etc with that goal in mind. If your knee is still bothering you, I suspect that provided the surgery was done correctly, it's because you haven't built up the strength of the surrounding muscles, and also because your mind dwells more on the previous site of injury. Definitely see a sports medecine person and possibly a physiotherapist if you need one to get the joint back in shape.

You have to look at this as a long-term thing. I strongly advise that you start slow (rather than the "train hard or don't bother") until you can get your body used to the increased stress and get a better feeling for what you can and can't do. If you pretend no time has elapsed since the last time you were in the dojang, you're fooling yourself and asking for further injuries. It will come back, but you need to exercise patience.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What XUE SHANG said. I started Martial Arts at the tender age of 38. It is the best way I know of to get into shape. I found that I loved MA and I hated going to the gym. It was much easier to get motivated to go to class than the gym. Cut yourself a break start slow then show them young guys whats what!!!!

If your knee continues to bother you have it checked out.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
just start off slow it happens to all of us every year around december i kind of wyne down my training , guest at the pad etc etc x mas party new years party and i really dont get started until jan 15 and its hard to get back up to where i was when i stopped ' so just start off slow and then take it from there :)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my opinion, no. I had a similar path, in that I was into martial arts as a teenager (15-17), took a long break during college, and didn't get back to it until my 30's. Now have two kids, and blew out an ACL about 3 years ago (tripped over my ego... it's a long story).

Use the training to get you back into shape, and design a plan around it that might include aerobics, weight training, changing eating habits, etc with that goal in mind. If your knee is still bothering you, I suspect that provided the surgery was done correctly, it's because you haven't built up the strength of the surrounding muscles, and also because your mind dwells more on the previous site of injury. Definitely see a sports medecine person and possibly a physiotherapist if you need one to get the joint back in shape.

You have to look at this as a long-term thing. I strongly advise that you start slow (rather than the "train hard or don't bother") until you can get your body used to the increased stress and get a better feeling for what you can and can't do. If you pretend no time has elapsed since the last time you were in the dojang, you're fooling yourself and asking for further injuries. It will come back, but you need to exercise patience.

I think Nomad has it nailed. You have to look at MAs as a long term venture, and be patient about getting all the pieces in play. At 24, you really, truly do have all the time in the world. And it doesn't take that long to get in really optimal shape. As Nomad suggests, start slow, and assume that as your overall fitness improves, there will be a positive feedback between your strength/aerobic program and your MAs that will let you pick up the pace a bit further down the line, and keep picking it up till you're completely back on track. The early phase is the crucial one: don't rush anything.

A good strength-training program can help significantly with all aspects of your return to the MAs, and is a necessary complement to any cardio you do. If you do cardio without resistance training, it's too easy for the body to wind up metabolizing your protein reserves, aka muscle tissue. You need to do both cardio and resistance training to force the aerobic exercise you do to target fat reserves primarily. Apart from that, you just feel much better the stronger you get....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am an old fat cop with a bum knee and I hold a 1st Dan and STILL train..Just go for it..

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The bottom line is to have fun and learn something.

But I agree with the previous posters who thing you should check out a doctor before training.

Getting back into the MAs and maintaining a healthy lifestyle will trim that extra weight off in no time. However, I do suggest looking into another MA, rather than the local gym's cardio kickboxing class. I passed by one the other night and just saw REALLY bad mechanics.

Good luck on your journey, and Welcome!

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I won't go into the age question or the knee question, as both have been well addressed, what I CAN address is the post childbirth issue, which I don't think has been addressed much yet.

I had a child 4 months ago, at the age of 38. If you do a search of the forums, you'll see my threads about training while pregnant (typing with little time or I'd post the link0. I started uechi-ryu almost 1 1/2 years ago, so still a newbie. I trained until my 8th month of pregnancy..although training changed dramatically, and I started back to training last month.

It's not been easy, but it has been SO worth it!! I'm still overweight, but I lost 38 lbs in my first few months of training, and felt GREAT! Training while pregnant helped minimize back pain and I had no swelling until I stopped training. Even the slow kata I did in my last few months helped me mentally and physically!

It's a great way to get back in shape. My style, and I suspect most MA, involves a lot of core, which is weakened considerably by pregnancy and childbirth, but training helps me focus and motivate my recovery and improvement of self.

But most importantly, from your post, is that it's not just a physical training...it helps mentally as well. It helps focus, self-perception, so many things I don't have time to mention in this post.

In the end, it's not age or physical shape. It's do you want to do this, and why. I say find a good dojo that will help you work from your level and advance. DEFINATELY seek doc advise on knee...
and then go for it!

OP
C

Chib

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, there's so much information here, thank you guys!

I'm really heartened by the fact that there's people here that started after the typical preteen to teen range. I know there are a lot of places that offer adult martial arts, but I always figured that I'd either need to be at a higher level, or I'd end up training with 6 and 7 year old white belts. Is there any good way to test out the waters in a new area to find out which schools have real adult classes?

Secondly, regarding my knee, I went to see a "physical therapist" about a year and a half ago when I started up a season of indoor soccer. She said that I was OK, but that one leg was shorter, etc., then digressed into some chiropracty mumbo jumbo about subluxations. I took her word for it, played soccer, and had to buy a knee brace which I ended up wearing more and more as time went on. I guess I should just grin and bear it, and head in for an evaluation elsewhere, although I haven't had problems with the training I've been doing at the gym for the last two months.

I think I'm OK with the idea of going into training concurrent with my gym training. It may give me MORE time in the end, as I can cut out my purely-cardio days and replace it with a martial art.

My husband and I are currently in the process of trying to get pregnant, so I'm also glad that a previous poster mentioned that she trained into pregnancy. My understanding is that, as long as you were being physically active before you were pregnant, you can continue at about the same level of activity until late into the pregnancy, as long as you're not on your back.

I'm really getting excited... I think I'm going to convince my husband to do it with me, as he's expressed interest before. The next big step is, for those of you with kids, what do you do with them when you're in class? She's four, so way too young to sit in with us. A drop-in daycare for an hour a week, I guess?

Again, thanks SO much for all the help and advice! I'm loving reading all the threads on this site about different MAs.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I'll second the vote for making sure that knee of yours is up to training. If you want to train hard, consider BJJ. There is no striking, and because of the nature of submission grappling, you can spar at very close to 100% without too much fear of injury (certainly no more so than any other physical activity). And it will definitely get you into shape. I'm not sure what your goals are, but if you are interested in a great workout, hard training, the ability to spar and possibly to compete if you want, it's a pretty great sport to get into.

That's my sales pitch. :D

I hope, regardless of what style you end up training, you find the one that suits you.

Oh, and I started training martial arts in my early 30's, and in BJJ at 36. When I started BJJ, I was 35 lbs overweight as well. Lost it all in 6 months. Went from 220 to a steady 180-185 and have had no trouble staying there for the last couple years.

PS: I wouldn't wait until you're in shape to train. Rather, quality training should get you in shape.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation as you.

I practised jiu-jitsu from 18 - 21. I only missed 4 lessons during that time, On non-class days I practised at home or at the sensei's place. I was assistant teacher in the youth classes. So I think I was like you in the 'train hard or don't bother' category.

I had to quit because my body told me in no uncertain terms that finishing my masters degree, doing an internship and practising 6 days per week was not a long term option.

Fast forward 10 years, 20 pounds, 1 tricky knee, 1 house, 1 wife (still married) and 2 kids.

My kids are now old enough (about 2 and 4) that not being at home in the evening is not a problem for my wife.
Since august last year I changed my eating / drinking habits (no candy, no soda pops, little alcohol) because I did not want to end up like my dad at 93 kg. The trick is to adapt a new lifestyle that you can see yourself living long term. If you combine with some excercise, weight loss will come automatically, but slowly. It will also put less strain on your knees.

I started ninpo a month ago, but I quickly realized 2 things
a) I am nowhere near the physical shape when I quit MA at 21
b) I am nowhere near as flexible in my legs as I was then. I am lucky enough that I am naturally flexible (can put my hands flat on the ground while wearing shoes, and still have enough flex left to bend my elbows a little), but side split are my weakness.

Both issues have to be built up slowly again. You won't do this in a month, or maybe even a year. Although I have to admit, 24 is nowhere near old (I am 32).

Another issue is that with a kid, there will be times when you cannot follow every class. But don't feel bad about it. MA is a long term investement. If you try to practise as much as you can, then a couple of missed classes will not matter over the course of 5-10 years.

What you can also do is to practise at home on the days that you cannot attend class: basic kata, stretching, etc.
Currently, my ninpo class is only 1 day per week, so I repeat basic excercises on thursday and saturday for example, and I try to stretch daily, and perhaps do lots of kicking excercises one evening in the week when my wife and kids are asleep.

Good luck on your new start.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you feel old fat and bum out about knee at 24, wait till you are 50 with three boys been training forever and are overwieght and have multiple knee surgery. This is what you want then go for it, I would not change anything as far as my life training makes me complete and I love it when I go home and have to ice my knees, it means one great night of training.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you feel old fat and bum out about knee at 24, wait till you are 50 with three boys been training forever and are overwieght and have multiple knee surgery. This is what you want then go for it, I would not change anything as far as my life training makes me complete and I love it when I go home and have to ice my knees, it means one great night of training.

Well said Terry..I had both legs broken in 79.. I joined a dojo less than 6 months later, after surgery and learning how to walk again.I quit smoking and gained about 65 lbs that never left.I jack up my knee last year on duty and when it gets to much for me, I sit..Just screwed up my back and its killing me not to train..I'm 55...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started KMA training at 30. I had my last child at 33, injured my back and also tore my right ACL. I'm overweight too and am returning to training at 43.

I was about 10 lbs overweight when I started training and I was going to try to lose the weight before I started training, but I didn't.

The biggest concern would be your knee and the potential for re-injury. My suggestion is that you seek out a physical therapist familiar with the demands of martial arts on the knees and consult about preparing your knees for the activity, where you should draw the line as to what you can and can't do, stance requirements, etcetera. Get your knees strong first.

When you go back, be smart about your movements - educate yourself on how to avoid reinjury by proper foot placement, hip centering and leg alignment.

It might be a good idea to prepare yourself for a few weeks before returning but if you have a really good teacher, might not be necessary.

You can do this! Keep us posted!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The biggest concern would be your knee and the potential for re-injury. My suggestion is that you seek out a physical therapist familiar with the demands of martial arts on the knees and consult about preparing your knees for the activity, where you should draw the line as to what you can and can't do, stance requirements, etcetera. Get your knees strong first.

When you go back, be smart about your movements - educate yourself on how to avoid reinjury by proper foot placement, hip centering and leg alignment.

It might be a good idea to prepare yourself for a few weeks before returning but if you have a really good teacher, might not be necessary.

You can do this! Keep us posted!

It's also a really good idea to have a talk with your instructor when you join up about issues like this; he or she may be able to make recommendations on how to avoid re-injury and possibly on modifying some of the stances/techniques in the short term (hopefully you can build up to doing them properly in the longer term). You don't want to come off as if you are looking for excuses not to do well or for "special treatment", but more in the interest of full disclosure your instructor should have a good idea of any physical limitations.

If the instructor dismisses your concerns or doesn't have any ways to address them, you might want to seek a different instructor/school.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Chib. I'm 34 and more or less on the same route. At this current time, I'm "gym-hunting" while getting myself back in shape. However, it took me some time (as well as reading through some of the advice of some of the forum members) to get myself on track.

What it came down to was when I read a chapter of Box Like the Pros by Joe Frazier. A key point he made (and I might be quoting it wrong) was to "get in shape before you get in shape". What he meant was, if you've never been involved in the gritty training, or maybe it's been some time since you've last stepped out onto the training floor, then it's probably in your best interest to get in some basic training with strength, flexiblity, and cardio. In both of our cases, we have prior injuries (a dislocated shoulder) that could take us out of the training again if we don't take the time to get those body parts ready to handle the rigors of training again.

Some may say just get out there and do it, and that's actually worked for many, including myself. However, if your body is "telling" you to get it ready before you embark on a return to training in the arts, then it's probably best to listen.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is solid advice.

Before starting MA again a month ago, I had been inactive for several years: Life, kids, house, ...
I spent 6 months doing cardio 2-3 times per week, situps, pushups, and some other basic exercises. I also cut a lot of candy and snacks out of my diet.

In the beginning I couldn't even be on an exercise bike for more than 20 minutes at low resistance. Had I started MA then, it would have hurt really bad. Maybe enough to make me quit again.
After 6 months I was in a reasonable shape and starting MA was not a problem because now my body can at least handle the strain and recover quickly enough.

Latest Discussions