Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Batto-Ho Iaido by Masayuki Shimabukuro Hanshi

[yt]gFPT574ZcSo[/yt]

Demonstration of Iaido Batto-Ho by Masayuki Shimabukuro, Hanshi - 8th dan Muso Jikiden Eishin-Ryu Iaido, 8th dan Shito-Ryu Karatedo, 7th dan Shindo Muso-Ryu Jodo. Filmed in Venezuela 2007 at the Sekai Dento Budo Renmei seminar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first form shown here was junto sono ichi, which is indeed from the Batto-Ho.

The second form I do not recognise as an MJER one.

The third form was Raiden from the Bangai No Bu (with an ukenagashi move in there that differs from the way I have been taught the form)

The fourth form looked like Zenteki Gyaku To from the Batto Ho No Bu Oku No Waza (except that the kessa cut went from left to right instead of right to left)

The fifth form was Yukichigai from the Tachiwaza No Bu.

The sixth form was Ukenagashi from the Tachiwaza No Bu but with the chiburi from the kneeling form.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Sukerin,

Is it possible that he is demonstrating henka to standard forms for a public demonstration (as a number of other Koryu do to preserve their "secrets"), or do you think it is more of a mixture of different influences (and therefore not strictly MJER)? I haven't come across MJER doing this, but I have seen a number of other Iai systems do that, such as Kage Ryu, but it wouldn't surprise me that that is indeed the case here.

Oh, and thanks for the list!

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That hadn't occurred to me, Chris! Aye, that could well be the case; tho as you say, I have not heard of any MJER demonstrations being done that way.

Do you recognise the second form in the video clip? It had a sort of Shinden feel to it but that may well be complete bunkum on my part as I know only a couple of Shinden forms :lol:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The action seems familiar, but I can't place it at the moment. I agree that the feel is Muso Shinden Ryu, but as to it's particulars, I'm afraid I can't help at present... I'll keep hunting around through my info, though, maybe it'll turn up!

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The second kata is a version of Soete tsuki (number 9) as done in Seitei. Don’t ask me the original school from which it came from, I have no idea!!

See!! You guys should learn seitei......:)

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:lol: Cheers Ken - I thought you might know :tup:.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I'll add a little bit more (as Ken got in ahead of me...). It's from Hoki Ryu, which is supposed to have a link to Hayashizaki Jinsuke, according to some sources (but not the ryu itself, interestingly).

Latest Discussions