Bassai Dai Kata - Opening Move Bunkai Video

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Here's my latest application video. It's a bunkai example regarding the opening move in Bassai Dai. The material I cover in this video is as follows.

Kihon

Finger point or weapon point
Sweeping block/inside pivot
Instep knee kick
Hook punch or elbow strike
Sword grip on wrist, drawing and unbalancing
Wrist lock #1 with armwhip throw
Sacrifice Fall

Kata

Opening move in Bassai Dai – Uke points finger at tori. Tori pivots and kiai’s, sweeping weapon hand into either a hook punch or elbow. Tori also uses an instep kick to strike uke’s knee as he grabs uke’s hand with a sword grip on the wrist. Tori draws uke off balance and uses an outside pivot to apply a wrist lock arm whip throw. Uke performs a sacrifice to save his arm and wrist from breaking.

Kumite

Defang the snake sparring – put on pads and spar with light contact slow to medium speed. Look for opportunities to strike the opponents limb as it attempts to strike you.

Kime

Defang the Snake
Kiai
P-6 as a grabbing point

Last edited by a moderator:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well done!

I like the interpretation of turning into the cat stance as avoiding a stab rather than what I was taught when I studied karate long ago--merely turning to face your next opponent. On the other hand I wonder if you wouldn't want to go further then and pull the (now) front leg further back in case the stab is lower than expected? It might take away from the block/parry but would also provide some extra margin of safety. Well, I'm probably thinking like a Filipino martial arts guy in wanting to do that!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well done!

I like the interpretation of turning into the cat stance as avoiding a stab rather than what I was taught when I studied karate long ago--merely turning to face your next opponent. On the other hand I wonder if you wouldn't want to go further then and pull the (now) front leg further back in case the stab is lower than expected? It might take away from the block/parry but would also provide some extra margin of safety. Well, I'm probably thinking like a Filipino martial arts guy in wanting to do that!

That's a good point regarding the pivot. The kata shows this and I may have made an error. There is a step that brings you closer to your opponent if you pivot out like I demonstrated though. In class, I would show both. Thanks for the feedback btw.

Latest Discussions