Bart

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Renegade said:
I was wondering who was your Modern Arnis instructor?
:asian:
Sure,

Here in the states it was Bruce Juchnik of Kosho Ryu Kenpo on and off when I was a wee lad (9-14) and then again when I was 18 for a few months and then again at 21 for a few months.

When I was in the Philippines it was my YDT (Youth Development Training) teacher at Jose Rizal College, High School in Mandaluyong from 1988-89. I'll have to dig back into my report cards for the exact name. We just called our teacher Mang Santos, but their were several teaching, one or two for each grade level. He was not the most senior. It was a module in the class that lasted about one month and recurred each semester. There was a practice session every other week regardless of the module and I attended that every session.

I also attended several seminars at Reid's Martial Arts in Modern Arnis here in Sacramento, CA with Larry and Linda Reid and their son Darren Reid. The last one I attended was in 1997. I dropped by their school in March and Darren still actively teaches Arnis at their school although I didn't speak with him or see his class as it was on another day.

Aside from that, the only other training I had in Modern Arnis was when the "Big Three" rolled through town, the last time being in 1997 I believe.

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bart said:
Sure,

Here in the states it was Bruce Juchnik of Kosho Ryu Kenpo on and off when I was a wee lad (9-14) and then again when I was 18 for a few months and then again at 21 for a few months.

When I was in the Philippines it was my YDT (Youth Development Training) teacher at Jose Rizal College, High School in Mandaluyong from 1988-89. I'll have to dig back into my report cards for the exact name. We just called our teacher Mang Santos, but their were several teaching, one or two for each grade level. He was not the most senior. It was a module in the class that lasted about one month and recurred each semester. There was a practice session every other week regardless of the module and I attended that every session.

I also attended several seminars at Reid's Martial Arts in Modern Arnis here in Sacramento, CA with Larry and Linda Reid and their son Darren Reid. The last one I attended was in 1997. I dropped by their school in March and Darren still actively teaches Arnis at their school although I didn't speak with him or see his class as it was on another day.

Aside from that, the only other training I had in Modern Arnis was when the "Big Three" rolled through town, the last time being in 1997 I believe.

Cool.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
bart said:
Sure,

bart,

What differences to you see between the actual school program MA that you participated in while in PI versus what you recieved here in the states? In the school program, was there any character/personal improvement.... psych behind the training (since it was geared toward students and not 'adults')? I ask because I notice that there is no real direct link between the mind and body training in FMA compared to the history of other trad arts. On the cultural FMA thread the major influence seemed to be Catholic/Christian values influenced by PI culture to create a 'flavor' of "western" cultural values (more akin to old world values of 'face', machismo, custom....). In a school program I figured there would be more character emphasis than pragmatic "fight" emphasis - that seemed to be in keeping with GM Presas' goals for the program.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The school program was very much a high school PE class. You got just about the same stuff from a module of basketball that you would out of the arnis module. Your chances of going pro in either one afterwards were just about the same. The extracurricular sessions were a different animal, but we were just learning basic sinawalis and some single stick drills. The main points I think were "health" and "sportsmanship". Self-defense was understood, but it was not the main emphasis. But also, we were kids and that would be in keeping with the secondary educational goals. Culturally, in the Modern Arnis it was about exercise and culture was simply in the backdrop of the school. It was very much a secular deal.

The program under Hanshi Juchnik was done in a kata-waza-bunkai fashion, meaning we trained form, then a trick from the form, and then applied the trick. It seemed mostly self-defense oriented. The program was not the main emphasis of the dojo, the karate was. So it was always flavored by that.

In the seminars, the emphasis was, of course, a broad overview.

Cebu West

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the training was like this when Professor taught in the schools in the PI, or was it more of a hard core approach? Being it was through the school systems I would tend to think it was on the tame side but that is pure speculation on my part.

SAL

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cebu West said:
Does anyone know whether the training was like this when Professor taught in the schools in the PI, or was it more of a hard core approach? Being it was through the school systems I would tend to think it was on the tame side but that is pure speculation on my part.

SAL

some of my family members went to college in the PI, I think St. Thomas, (Professor Presas wasn't there himself teaching) they said the Arnis was more of a callesthetic, cardio, physical fitness workout and they didn't really get to deep into the defensive aspects of the art.

Andy

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
some of my family members went to college in the PI, I think St. Thomas, (Professor Presas wasn't there himself teaching) they said the Arnis was more of a callesthetic, cardio, physical fitness workout and they didn't really get to deep into the defensive aspects of the art.

Andy
If I am correct, RP was also trying to elevate PI arts to a more respectable level of acceptance by putting it in the school systems as well. That was one of the reasons that he was awared diplomatic status by the PI government: He was presenting PI culture in a positive way, home and abroad.

Prior to that it had more of a gang banger association. This reminds me of Negro Gato's mission and approach to raising the perception of Caporiea in Brazil.... In both countries, local arts were pushed aside for the more popular trad arts from Japan, China.....

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
If I am correct, RP was also trying to elevate PI arts to a more respectable level of acceptance by putting it in the school systems as well. That was one of the reasons that he was awared diplomatic status by the PI government: He was presenting PI culture in a positive way, home and abroad.

I have heard this as well. Datu Shishir (as well as others) has continued Professor's work in the Philippines. He is associated with PIGSSA (Philippine Indigenous Games and Sports Savers Assoc) and has been working the the Philippine Tourism Committee and Philippine Government to declare Arnis the National sport of the Philippines. Although many "hardcore" or oldschool practitioners scoff at the idea of Arnis as sport, promoting it as such is one method to increase its popularity to the Filipino people and abroad. As you had mentioned, it is also a way of promoting Filipino culture.

Our club is associated with 2 major Filipino cultural organizations in my area. They are very supportive of our school, so much so, that they have considered building our own training facility into a new Filipino Cultural Center which they have plans to build in the near future. We are doing a demo at a cultural event and the focus of the demos is not so much the combat effectiveness, or self defense (which we do focus on in regular training), but to show the beauty of the art to the Filipino and American people.

Latest Discussions