Banuelos wins the battle of the hairy dudes

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-19-2009 02:05 AM:

Antonio Banuelos has gotten Mustache of the Night on at least one occasion here on Cagewriter. He got a run for his money in the hair department tonight on the WEC 44 undercard from Kenji Osawa, who was sporting some sort of faux hawk, mullet that made him resemble a mini-horse head.

"It was kind of awesome. I can't dog his hair. It looked good for him," Banuelos, speaking with Cagewriter, gave Osawa props for the pompadour.

But he wasn't about to relinquish the title of best hair.

"My mustache was nice. Come on!"

Banuelos then went after Cagewriter's attempt at a goatee. Banuelos' buddy Chuck Liddell can be heard in the background dogging the reddish mess.

Banuelos also went on the attack about a low blow he took in the first round. Osawa nailed him with a kick but it wasn't the fighter Banuelos got mad at:

"It did hurt. I gotta get a new cup. I know why the [expletive], I gotta sue the company."

Banuelos only took about 60 seconds off to recover from the low blow which seemed odd since referee Kim Winslow is allowed to give the fighter up to five minutes:

"I wanted to keep my momentum going. I was gong hard in that firstround.. I didn't want to give him the chance for the momentum to getin his corner."

Banuelos gave Osawa plenty of credit in the postfight press conference saying he hit the guy with some big shots but he just wouldn't stay down.

"He's a real tough guy. I popped him a few times, but he's a veteran fighters. I tried to knock him out."

That was win No. 18 for Banuelos, who is now 8-4 in WEC. Banuelos said he'd love for his next fight to be for the bantamweight title. Realistically, he probably needs a few more wins to get a shot at Brian Bowles.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions