banners

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is to bad that there has to be policical banners on this forum. We have to endure enough b.s. ads on the tube. Politics belong in this section of the forum.
:soapbox:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What banners? Mind you within reason I'd take most folks cash.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Massachusetts has their special election tomorrow for Ted Kennedy's seat and the Boston airwaves have been saturated with ads. I haven't seen the ads here but I may be filtered out because Comcast only gives me an address from their NH head ends.

Since the google sniffer just scans text for key words, I suspect there might be a thread that mentioned (say) politics in Kenpo, and then displayed an ad for Scott Brown or Martha Coakley.

Would it be fair to suggest waiting until Wednesday and then checking again to see if the issue is persistent?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like Bob said what banners? I just scrolled through and I did not see a political banner on MartialTalk. However, if one of the political parties was interested in advertising here I would be the first one to encourage Bob to accept there offer so that MartialTalk could continue and be prosperous.
icon6.gif

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like Bob said what banners? I just scrolled through and I did not see a political banner on MartialTalk. However, if one of the political parties was interested in advertising here I would be the first one to encourage Bob to accept there offer so that MartialTalk could continue and be prosperous.
icon6.gif

I'm guessing you can only see them if you have a Massachusetts IP address.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sure sounds to me like these are Google ad banner

Since the google sniffer just scans text for key words, I suspect there might be a thread that mentioned (say) politics in Kenpo, and then displayed an ad for Scott Brown or Martha Coakley.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it's Google related, I've got minimal control over those.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have mostly British ads, usually martial arts related so I guess the ads are targeted to where you are.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Disabled my ad blocker for MT so I can see what Googles serving up.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok, 50 refreshes later I saw 1 political ad "Who's to blame...". Most were for local MA resources, some weight loss and a couple phone ads.

I'd guess that Google's doing some geo-specific ad serving and given the current heated Senatorial race in Massachusetts that you're getting hit based on that. I'd expect it to taper off in a couple days.

OP
LawDog

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr Hubbard,
I posted this because when I entered the forum there was a banner bashing Scott Brown ontop of the header page. A short time later it turned into a Pro Marth ad.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah thanks. Was not one put there by me, and it's in the Google feed. If anyone finds an objectionable ad in that I need the full web address that it goes to and I can investigate and try blocking it.

Latest Discussions