ballet clasess inside dojang??? Ummmm

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well last night I had a very.... Ummmmm... different workout at dojang, I was told tuesday and thursday we are going to have a bellet dancer given us a ballet workout, you know the kind of work out the ballet dancers do before the dancing classes.

Ohhhh boy I was ..... well... not confortable doing this, I wanted techs,one step kyorugi... something rough... but well sambonim told me this work out can enhance my flexibility.... however I hated the ballet class of yesterday.

The next class half of the hour of TKD will be the ballet work out and then TKD class.

Manny.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's what you WANT and what you NEED. Seems these are out of balance.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm. Well ... ballet can help increase balance, flexibility, softness/flow and uses muscles in a different way which would be good cross-training. They also believe in locking out the knees which is very damaging and why so very many dancers retire in their 30's.

Yoga would be a better choice IMVHO.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, dancers retire at the age of 30 because - well it's like most football players, a demanding job.

However, for the amateur, the work outs are exquisit! They are low impact and like forms if you do them right you sweat buckets within minutes.

it is WONDERFUL for flexibility and who here said van Damm did ballet? His splits made him a rich man.

Yoga is cool, too but ballet id different. you use all of your body (dancers have wonderful arms, considering that they really don't do anything with them. it should be an extreme sport, really.

You are VERY lucky to have this opportunity!!!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, dancers retire at the age of 30 because - well it's like most football players, a demanding job.

You are VERY lucky to have this opportunity!!!

Speaking of ballet and football; Lynn Swann comes to mind along with the flexibility, balance and flow that have already been mentioned.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh, BTW your sambonim, called, there's a new uniform you'll need. And tights.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha ha ha...don't sweat it. We did this a few times. One of our kids mom is a ballet instructor and our GM asked her to give all the black belts a ballet lesson. It was the funniest thing we ever did. No one was any good and we gained some respect for what they do. It is really quite hard and demanding.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well last night I had a very.... Ummmmm... different workout at dojang, I was told tuesday and thursday we are going to have a bellet dancer given us a ballet workout, you know the kind of work out the ballet dancers do before the dancing classes.

My sister and brother-in-law were professional ballet dancers with a major US company. They were ripped, strong, and flexible from their intense workouts. The men were extremely strong as much of their job was lifting live weight at decidedly awkward angles. (You try lifiting a 120 lb girl at arms lengths for 15 minutes, oh and you have to do it gracefully.) I wouldn't want to do it everyday, as I don't do ballet, but see value in it as a cross-training exercise. As for your dislike of it, well, tough. It isn't like this is a permanent change. Get over it.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ballet sounds interesting. We spend so much time being hard, strong, fast that we fail to realize that being soft and flexible also has a place in Martial Arts training.
As much as you like self defense I think that it would be especially helpful there. I also think that dance is very expressive which could translate into forms as well.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha ha ha...don't sweat it. We did this a few times. One of our kids mom is a ballet instructor and our GM asked her to give all the black belts a ballet lesson. It was the funniest thing we ever did. No one was any good and we gained some respect for what they do. It is really quite hard and demanding.

That's the same in my dojan the dancer is mom of one of the girls that do TKD and the sambunim think the stretching and exercises made by ballet can be useful to TKD.

Manny

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Some of the best forms practitioners that I know have dancing/gymnastics backgrounds. There is also something to be said for "shocking awake" the body by doing something demanding, but different.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny did you learn anything?

Yes Terry, I learn I have to have this ballet calistecnics before the TKD class, and I think that maybe this ballet calistecnics can improve my kicks a little. Yes I really don-t like so much this but I will give it a try.

Manny

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not gonna say it, not gonna say it, oh hell, yes I am.

Don't confuse the 2 classes. Kicking a ballerina in the head doesn't earn points and doing your form in a tutu is just wrong!

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not gonna say it, not gonna say it, oh hell, yes I am.

Don't confuse the 2 classes. Kicking a ballerina in the head doesn't earn points and doing your form in a tutu is just wrong!

Pffft, they think they're so tough but let me tell you, some people think TKD's got no ground game but a ballerina... don't get me started.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
As kids when I was just doing karate, my sister was in karate and ballet. I'll tell you, she had, grace, speed, power in the legs, if I wasn't such a dumb teenager I would have joined her ballet class to learn some of that.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
A frequent example of the ability to focus past the pain is from one of my sister's friend at the Houston ballet. This ballerina was doing her solo in the Nutcracker and fell, she recovered, finished the remainder of the piece, and as she came off the stage she told her understudy to take over. I may have neglected to mention that she BROKE HER LEG when she fell. Talk about indomitable spirit.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A frequent example of the ability to focus past the pain is from one of my sister's friend at the Houston ballet. This ballerina was doing her solo in the Nutcracker and fell, she recovered, finished the remainder of the piece, and as she came off the stage she told her understudy to take over. I may have neglected to mention that she BROKE HER LEG when she fell. Talk about indomitable spirit.

Two words:

pointe shoes

Latest Discussions