Balintawak in Providence, RI?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A poster on FMATalk wanted to know if there were any Balintawak schools in the Providence area.

I don't know of any but...that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Any suggestions?

teovel'sBalintawak

White Belt
Reaction score
A poster on FMATalk wanted to know if there were any Balintawak schools in the Providence area.

I don't know of any but...that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Any suggestions?

Carol,

I am the one who is looking for someone to workout with. Im from a Velez lineage Balintawak practitioner. My mentor is Monie Velez one of the Velez brothers. I studied with him from 1992 to 2001 before I came here to the states. I reached the level as an assistance instrutor trainee that is based on their standard. In 2005 I was lucky to meet Zack Taco in New York and had the chance to resume my training. I also have the chance to workout with Nene Gaabucayan in LA. These guys are my senior and they help me out to polish my raw skills. Both Zack and Nene were once upon a time trained by Monie Velez 30 years ago. Monie is the older brother of Eddie Velez the instructor of Bobby Taboada.

I used to live in New York but now I'm in Providence. Every other weekend I drive 4hrs to New York just to practice. This is the reason I decided to look for some Balintawak school,practitioners or those who want to learn. Im willing to teach or workout for free.

God Bless

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure where the nearest instructor to you is but I have been told there is one in Springfield, ma. I'll try to see if I can find his adress for you.

sorry that was a Sayoc instructor I had the address for
I'll keep looking to see if I can locate one for you but no one comes to mind at the moment

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol,

I am the one who is looking for someone to workout with. Im from a Velez lineage Balintawak practitioner. My mentor is Monie Velez one of the Velez brothers. I studied with him from 1992 to 2001 before I came here to the states. I reached the level as an assistance instrutor trainee that is based on their standard. In 2005 I was lucky to meet Zack Taco in New York and had the chance to resume my training. I also have the chance to workout with Nene Gaabucayan in LA. These guys are my senior and they help me out to polish my raw skills. Both Zack and Nene were once upon a time trained by Monie Velez 30 years ago. Monie is the older brother of Eddie Velez the instructor of Bobby Taboada.

I used to live in New York but now I'm in Providence. Every other weekend I drive 4hrs to New York just to practice. This is the reason I decided to look for some Balintawak school,practitioners or those who want to learn. Im willing to teach or workout for free.

God Bless

If you are ever out in South East Michigan make sure you contact me and if I am not traveling I will meet and we can talk.

Good Luck

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol,

God Bless

I don't train in Balintawak, but I'd be up for an occasional trip to Providence if you don't mind training with a newbie :D

teovel'sBalintawak

White Belt
Reaction score
Who wants to learn the Velez way of Balintawak Eskrima here in Rhode Island ? I teach for free, for those interested you can PM me or see me at Roger Williams Park every saturday.

God Bless

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where were you when I was enrolled at Brown University in the late 80s?!? What a great deal.

I took Uechi-ryu under Charles Earle at the time, in downtown Providence. But what I really remember is the great restaurants...

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Love to! We'll be in touch!

teovel'sBalintawak

White Belt
Reaction score
Where were you when I was enrolled at Brown University in the late 80s?!? What a great deal.

I took Uechi-ryu under Charles Earle at the time, in downtown Providence. But what I really remember is the great restaurants...

I got here in the States just 5 years ago. I started learning Balintawak in the 90's:).

teovel'sBalintawak

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is a link of our demonstration last March in New Jersey with one of my Balintawak brother. This is a presentation of Teovel's Balintawak basic pushing and hitting drills.

Last edited by a moderator:

teovel'sBalintawak

White Belt
Reaction score
Guys,

Here is a link of my workout with my Balintawak brother from the Bay Area,CA.

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

beungood

White Belt
Reaction score
Who wants to learn the Velez way of Balintawak Eskrima here in Rhode Island ? I teach for free, for those interested you can PM me or see me at Roger Williams Park every saturday.

God Bless
Do you still train in Providence or at the Park?