Bak mei kungfu in viet nam

crisvan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'd like to send a warmest greeting to brothers and sisters who have been practicing martial arts and searching for its true origin and power. Bakmei is one of the kungfu style that has been lost since Thanh dynasty. There are so many martial artists out there who have been trying to learn it but they all failed or they could not learn its best technique. On my path, i have found a Bakmei master in Viet Nam who has been teaching his disciples the lost style. I think this is the real and original Bakmei kungfu
Now i would love to take a look at these 2 perfornances below called "cuu bo thoi" and "18 ghosts hand" which is commonly practiced by Bakmei practitioners

CUU BO TOI

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I knew some guys from Vietnam 25 years ago that practiced back mai. they were very skilled.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

OP
C

crisvan

White Belt
Reaction score
I knew some guys from Vietnam 25 years ago that practiced back mai. they were very skilled.

thanks you for your reply . Would you tell me which martial arts do you pratice ? and How can you know bak mei kung fu

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I practice Northern mantis, FMA, and capoeira. I only know a few bak mai techniques that I have picked up over the years I'd hardly say I know bak mai. Wouldn't mind learning it though.

OP
C

crisvan

White Belt
Reaction score
I practice Northern mantis, FMA, and capoeira. I only know a few bak mai techniques that I have picked up over the years I'd hardly say I know bak mai. Wouldn't mind learning it though.

So what so you thinks about this guy's skills, i saw him training in the park. So how long did you train kungfu ?

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
His skill is good it's a little different from some bak mai I have seen, but it solid.

OP
C

crisvan

White Belt
Reaction score
His skill is good it's a little different from some bak mai I have seen, but it solid.

oh well, do you have any video? would you send to me plz ?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Dragon House in San Francisco, CA is an MMA gym, but the owner came to SF from China in 1996 as a kung fu guy, teaching Bak mei and dragon styles. He still teaches those, as well as running an active MMA gym. I know that Bak mei has not been lost.

Do an internet search for dragon house San Francisco, I believe there is a clip on his website of him doing a Bak mei set.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't any videos of me doing what little bak mai I know.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No. I learned a little bit of Bak Mai from people I knew 20 years ago.

OP
C

crisvan

White Belt
Reaction score
No. I learned a little bit of Bak Mai from people I knew 20 years ago.

wow, you were learning bakmei kungfu 20 years ago, so which level bakmei do you learn and do you have any video ?

isbal

White Belt
Reaction score
hello,

a bit of a dig here but if the OP still comes around... It's always treacherous to gauge skills on video but these ones seem pretty good. I understand you train with him. Is the lineage from Tai Chek Cam / Diep Coc Long?

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as I am aware of, all Bak Mei in Vietnam comes from Tsang Wai Bok after he returned to his native Saigon in (I think) 1954. The different student lines might have spread out since then and have some individual variation.

Bak Mei itself is an art with less than 100 years of history. No kidding.

isbal

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes that's right, all (I would assume) viet lineage come from tsang wai bok/tang hue bac, that's why it's also interesting to assess from which of his students it is attached. Tai check cam is one famous of his pupils, I know at least another, i can already see some difference in what is taught. Therefore my question. Those individual variations :)

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes that's right, all (I would assume) viet lineage come from tsang wai bok/tang hue bac, that's why it's also interesting to assess from which of his students it is attached. Tai check cam is one famous of his pupils, I know at least another, i can already see some difference in what is taught. Therefore my question. Those individual variations :)

Buuuuuut then there's also this, I just remembered. Hoi An, 1995-1996. Farely standard traditional Vietnamese, but smomeone has learned Bak Mei's Sap Ji:

Is that other one possibly Cheung Bing Fat/Truong Binh Phat? That lineage has some videos on Youtube in Chinese.

May I ask what's your connection to Vietnam? Feel free to PM if you wish. :)

isbal

White Belt
Reaction score
haha, nice finding :) i like the execution although we move apart from the PM principles.I'm not surprised though, some PM forms have infused in the viet martial arts community (e.g. quan ki do).
My Master was based in HCMC (as he liked to say ;)) .

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
I take it that he's not in HCMC anymore. :D

Which forms do you study? :)

isbal

White Belt
Reaction score
I practice another style nowadays, but still practices PM forms at some point, mostly gau bo tui and sup bat mor kiu, I learned meng fu chi lum but not rnoough to remember all of it correctly :s

You practice viet lineage PM too?

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually not. I practice a Guangzhou lineage of PM, but have spent time in HCMC and will quite likely spend even more in the future. I'm just interested in the dissemination of PM in Vietnam, since they have some interesting variation there. For example, the Sap Baat Mo Kiu (Thập Bát Ma Kiệu in Vietnamese) in the video linked by OP is missing a kick, and Gau Bou Tui stance has feet unusually parallel to Chinese versions.

They also have unique forms like the following "Four horses linked fist":

Latest Discussions