bad weather reading list

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
sorry for not posting, I have not had any power or internet due to ice storms. so it has gave me time to read candle light is great! I read the TAE KWON DO SECRETS OF KOREAN KARATE by Sihak Henry Cho, it was a great read. And several other great martial art books , If one was to make a list of books what would you put on your list? ALL THE BEST IN THE ARTS

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have that book as well and found it a good read. I am also patial to Doug Cook's books (both of 'em). Good stuff.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
The encyclipedia of Tae kwon Do is a great read as well
Is the Encyclopedia a worthwhile read for folks who practice WTF TDK? I haven't yet read the book, but do want to. I would assume that, other than the forms, much of what General Choi wrote could be used across the board. I'd like to get your thoughts.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
sorry for not posting, I have not had any power or internet due to ice storms. so it has gave me time to read candle light is great! I read the TAE KWON DO SECRETS OF KOREAN KARATE by Sihak Henry Cho, it was a great read. And several other great martial art books , If one was to make a list of books what would you put on your list? ALL THE BEST IN THE ARTS
By the way Bret...welcome back! Those were some nasty storms. I hope you and yours made it through okay.

OP
B

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reading list ideas, and yes the ICE has melted. All the best in the arts

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are 2 books that I want to read (when I have free time). One is the biography of Jean Yves Theriault (from whence my "Iceman" ring name comes) & the other is on Breaking by Maurice Elmalem. I saw him on the ABC sports special "The Oriental World of Self-Defense" a few years ago. I'm interested in his views on the subject.

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A couple good reads I've enjoyed are; "Zen in the Martial Arts" and "The way of the Warior" (not sure of that title but it was written by Forrest Morgan, I'm sure someone here will recognise it.) Both very good reads. The Art of War is a good too.

I like reading books about Aikido and right now I'm reading "Aikido in Daily Life by Koichi Tohei. Not bad so far other than grammer errors.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of my favorite MA non-technical books:

"Moving Zen" by CW Nicol
"Karate-Do, My Way of Life" by Funakoshi, Gichin
"Okinawan Karate" by Mark Bishop
"Filipino Martial Culture" by Mark Wiley

I have a lot of favorite technical books.

Miles

dsuh86

White Belt
Reaction score

I've browsed through that book. It has just about everything and a lot of good self defense information.