Bad news yesterday...

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just found out from my instructor's wife (over the phone, since I'm in AL now and they're in PA) that after this summer's Black belt test, my instructor will be closing his doors and retiring. This is for several reasons...right now there's only a small handfull of students, not enough to be able to afford to keep the doors open. He also isn't getting any younger, although at 60 he can outrun, out-fight and out-dance men one third his age!

I will do my best to be there for this last event, but this is a sad time. I knew this day would come eventually, but I had hoped it would be further off.

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the benefits of being in the military is that I have found schools everywhere I have gone. The heartache is that this particular school was always home for me...no matter where I studied, my school was this one. Everytime my family and I go home to visit my parents, I would go to two or three days of practice and catch up with everyone. Now, I realize that three times a year shouldn't consider me as student of the year, but that's the only times I am "home."

I know that the black belts will still get together for drinks and dancingon the odd saturday night, but it will be far more complicated to get everone together now...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this. My old Shorin Ryu school closed a few years back and I can empathize with you on this. It really bites.

Jeff

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sad news, for sure. But age happens. :cool: Just gotta hang on to the good memories, all you learned there, the friends you made. What else can ya do?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, Dragon. It sounds like you have a good relationship with him & have learned a lot from him. At least THAT won't change in his retirement. Change is hard.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very sad news, Yet here is the same old song probaly the younger adults with all that flash has probaly taken most of the students from that area. No loyalty anymore.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pity about that, I really feel for you. I have often wondered how I'd feel if my school shut down and I've only been going a year.

I just hope you can find somewhere else you are really happy with and don't loose touch with anyone.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's always hard, to lose a place that you consider home, and touch in at every chance you get. Any chance any of the other black belts might want to take it over, or start a class (rather than a school) at another facility? A YMCA or recreation center? At least that way the class could continue, even if it's not quite the same.

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's always hard, to lose a place that you consider home, and touch in at every chance you get. Any chance any of the other black belts might want to take it over, or start a class (rather than a school) at another facility? A YMCA or recreation center? At least that way the class could continue, even if it's not quite the same.

I'm hoping that one or two of them are going to start up a different class somewhere else. It could be a blessing in disguise for all involved. My instructor has been teaching 3 nights a week and holding a full-time job since 1989...he does deserve a break.