Australia Day

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the 26th is Australia Day. Time to get out the Akubras, dust off the BBQ and turn on the strine.

This day, our national holiday, falls on the day that Captain, later Governor, Philip landed at Sydney Cove in 1788. But now it just celebration of what it means to be an Australian.

I've got my Akubra (its a bit beat up, but its supposed to be) and I've got a BBQ, all I have to do now is fire up the strine. By the way, an Akubra is a hat (mine has a nice piece of opal on the band that shines out against the sweat stains), you all know what a BBQ is, and strine is that peculiar Aussie slang everyone tries to copy but doesn't quite get right.

To all those Aussies at MT, have a great Australia Day and enjoy the long weekend.
(I'll be watching the cricket and drinking a few beers. Cheers!)

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Happy Australia Day from Kalgoorlie, looks like another scorcher!!:cheers:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Happy Australia Day to everyone from down under. Have a beer or two for me :cheers::drinkbeer:drinkbeer:cheers:

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This day, our national holiday, falls on the day that Captain, later Governor, Philip landed at Sydney Cove in 1788. But now it just celebration of what it means to be an Australian

However I am curious.

Isn't ANZAC Day (April 25th) the bigger national holiday down under?

Several years back, I had the privilege of being in your beautiful country on ANZAC Day.

The only complaint I had was you Aussies really do need to learn how to conjugate verbs on your Public Service Announcements… it's properly called "drunk driving" and not "drink driving".
:p

kez56

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Senjojutsu,

Although both are very important dates on our calender, IMO Anzac Day has a much more significance than Australia Day. Anzac Day remembers members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who landed at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I and in particular, those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Over the years, Anzac Day now pays tribute to all Australian servicemen who served and those who gave their lives during WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the Middle East.

It is a very special day.:)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Australia Australia Australia we love you AMEN! :)

OP
Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
However I am curious.

Isn't ANZAC Day (April 25th) the bigger national holiday down under?

Several years back, I had the privilege of being in your beautiful country on ANZAC Day.

The only complaint I had was you Aussies really do need to learn how to conjugate verbs on your Public Service Announcements… it's properly called "drunk driving" and not "drink driving".
:p

I think that ANZAC Day is the more significant holiday because its commemorative not celebrative. We have a military history that is almost as old as the nation, and for most of that history we have been fighting for other people. That is why I think it is so important for us to remember those who fell.

As to those drink driving announcements. I think that the term drink driving derives from drinking and driving. Thus, it is more likely a contraction than a (lack of) conjugation. But you never know. Grammar was the first thing to go with the "improving" of the education system.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think one of the finer things in life is listening to an Australian female accent (no offense Steel Tiger) and they (Australian females) are pretty nice to look at as well.
icon12.gif

OP
Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think one of the finer things in life is listening to an Australian female accent (no offense Steel Tiger) and they (Australian females) are pretty nice to look at as well.
icon12.gif

No offence. I happen to like the accent as well, though I do have a weakness for certain female English accents too.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked on two Nicole Kidman pictures in the past and I loved listening to her talk. Ok, done hijacking your thread, sorry.

Latest Discussions