Attn: Dan Anderson or Anyone With Arnis & Karate/Classic Taekwondo Experience

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in discussing the merits of the opening movement in Pyung Ahn Ee Dan (Heian Nidan: Shotokan, Pinan Shodan:Shorin-ryu) as a defense against a stick/club attack?

The kata starts out with the double 'square' block in a back stance (or cat stance depending on style), covering the side and upper regions. I've been shown this as an interception move, when the defender actually thrusts his left front hand (the one doing the side block) into the gap between the upraised club and the attacker's neck. This assumes a right handed attack. This stops the swing from doing too much damage and the right hand launches a simultaneous counter punch to attacker's face/upper region.

I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who has done a lot of stick work or has studied something like arnis.

Is this a realistic defense?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, from a practical aspect the movement would need to shift forward rather than rearward, to take up space in the attack rather than retreat from it. Assuming the that the footwork is what you would actually want to do, and that the attack is aimed at your head, you are going to get a broken arm out of the scenario and not much else.

If the footwork is going to be replaced with something that enters into the opponent's space, then the translation works better, I can see an application versus a reverse grip knife or club with a bit of the punyo/butt of the stick extending past the hand. Think of the rear arm blocking at the forearm, then sliding down the junction of the weapon and the hand, then torquing it to the outside.

You can see an application of this on this vid, at about 0:46, actually shown to both the inside and outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_4q5dTo_Bg&feature=related

Versus power attacks the arm position would have to start in a stronger position to take the impact like an upward block, otherwise it will likely collapse.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, from a practical aspect the movement would need to shift forward rather than rearward, to take up space in the attack rather than retreat from it.

I should have mentioned that. The versions of this kata that I learned do step forward, but you're right - there are some that retreat in the opening footwork.

Let's assume the defender has entered the attacker's space before the blow has landed and has driven his lead hand right above the attacking shoulder in preparation for a counter. True or false: this move has greatly negated the ability of the attacker to land a truly punishing strike with the stick.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

This one look about right?

Let's assume the defender has entered the attacker's space before the blow has landed and has driven his lead hand right above the attacking shoulder in preparation for a counter. True or false: this move has greatly negated the ability of the attacker to land a truly punishing strike with the stick.

Well, yes, being slammed by a solid forearm to the shoulder will negate alot of the power. I was more referring to the rear arm, which isn't well situated in that situation to take the impact of the stick, I'd rather have it extended and also taking up the weapon's space. Alot like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--74...FABE3AEB3&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions