Ask me about my Pi Chuan! And Thanks!

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night, after a number of false starts, I had my first lesson in XingYee.

I am excited to be off on a new tangent and learning something that seems to be so much fun, healthy and useful. It sure is different after 30+ years of Kenpo. I have some "new" bad habits to overcome :erg: :erg: :erg:

Thanks to all who answered my previous post and got me started. I really appreciate the guidance.

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congrats. I'm about 2 months ahead of you, but with a good Tai Chi background instead.

Don't know about WC, but the stepping in my Wing-Chun-Do class was almost exactly like Xing-Yi. Due to my countless hours of WCD, I was doing Pi Chuan somewhat correctly after just a couple minutes. Does anyone else know if traditional WC steps similar to Xing-Yi, or is that one of those things Bruce Lee stole from Xing-Yi for his style?

Note: I am a big Bruce Lee fan, but I realized he didn't discover anything new, just learned a lot of little things from many styles. I just wanted to know if Xing-Yi was one that he learned something from.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't belive he did, but Wing Chun & Xingyi share a lot of ideas & theories. I've jokingly referred to Xingyi as Northern Wing Chun. Just a joke XY folks... don't go get in a tissy...

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
clfsean,

I can understand you calling it Northern WC. It wasn't until I started learning Xing Yi that I began to fully appreciate how powerful WC really is. Learned a lot of fighting principles in WC, but never really understood how they applied until recently.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool... glad it worked out that way. Sometimes it takes looking at something differently, but not too different in nature to "get it".

OP
Sigung86

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
I don't belive he did, but Wing Chun & Xingyi share a lot of ideas & theories. I've jokingly referred to Xingyi as Northern Wing Chun. Just a joke XY folks... don't go get in a tissy...

So... What you're saying is that Wing Chun is kind of like Southern XingYi?
:) :) :)

Regardless of how you look at it... It's all cool and it's all good.
:asian:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sigung86 said:
So... What you're saying is that Wing Chun is kind of like Southern XingYi?
:) :) :)
no no no no no no no .... not saying that at all. It's just how much they remind me of each other with certain principles & theories. Granted, there are lots of other arts that do the same, but something strikes a chord with me between xingyi & wing chun.

OP
Sigung86

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
no no no no no no no .... not saying that at all. It's just how much they remind me of each other with certain principles & theories. Granted, there are lots of other arts that do the same, but something strikes a chord with me between xingyi & wing chun.

That would be kind of interesting considering the diametric origins. Isn't Wing Chun really kind of a Shaolin origin? Of course, I guess the origins don't really matter. The motions/physics/principles can have different sources and still be valid. :)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In legend it's Shaolin. That's ok... Xingyi was developed (in legend) from a Muslim spearman from Henan in the area of Shaoin.

Your last statement is pretty true about a great many things.

OP
Sigung86

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
In legend it's Shaolin. That's ok... Xingyi was developed (in legend) from a Muslim spearman from Henan in the area of Shaoin.

Your last statement is pretty true about a great many things.

Interesting... I was under the impression from previous investigation (back in the 70s) that Wing Chun was created by a Shaolin Nun, if that's the correct term, named Ng Mui or some such. Just goes to show what happens when you don't keep up with current knowledge. :asian:

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Story is that Wing Chun was developed to teach a woman, named Wing Chun, how to fight in a six week period. The part of the story I have yet to hear is what style the person who developed Wing Chun based it on.

My guess... A version of Xing Yi. I was told there have been different versions of Xing Yi and one that I was told about is even more like WC then what most think of XY today. Even if one is not based on the other, they were probably at least both based off the same roots.

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I study the three "internal" arts, and Xingyiquan is my favorite out of the three. To help in the understanding of the 5-Element Fists (Piquan, Zhuanquan, Bengquan, Paoquan, and Heng/Hungquan) I would suggest going to 'Plumflower.com', and purchase the manual titled, "Xingyi Mu Quan (Xingyi Mother Fists) by Jiang Rongquiao. This is an excellent manual because it describes in detail how to position and transition for each "fist". Granted you have a Wing Chun background (I studied Wing Chun back in the day), but the feeling and characteristics of the 5-fists is totally different. It takes a long time until you actually start to "feel" it for lack of better words. Plus, just each fist by itself has so many strategic breakdowns (applications) from the commencement to the completion of each individual fist.

Your strategy work is emmerced (sp) in your footwork. Concentrate on the foot work and see what you will get out of that. If your footwork is executed correctly your opponent shouldn't be able to touch you.

Vince

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I study the Shanxi school of Xingyiquan. What schools of Xingyi are you guys coming from. Plus, can you describe some of the training that you guys go through for your 5-fists? I love to try new things.

Vince

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I should have posted this before, but what type of silk-reeling exercises do you guys get off into in your Xingyiquan training? For example, we actually have a silk-reeling form within our system which better teaches us how to understand/generate the necessary power. I also focus on 'makiwara' training. Even though this is a Okinawan training tool I find it to be wonderful. It is a sure indicator of whether or not I'm executing my techniques correctly. Is there anything training-wise that is indeginous to your respective schools?

Vince

Latest Discussions