Areas of special importance in training

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone pay special attention to any one area of there training more than the others? By special attention, I mean do you work more on ukemi, taijutsu,dakentaijutsu,taihenjutsu,taisabaki, or stamina/endurance? Why do you put more emphasis on this area? Maybe you just try to balance out everything, and put no special attention into one area? Why do you do this? Guess this question is going to have many different responses, but I am interested to hear a few.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the art of aiki ninjutsu our rank structure is built upon this idea. We start as white belts practicing the very basics such as proper striking and ukemi and then continue to build off what we have learned by then focusing on keeping our back straight and knees bent, and then using supple power, and then moving on to more advanced ideas.

We are supposed to constantly practice what we have already learned, and will put extra time into whatever area we feel we are struggling with until we are confortable with it and move on.

For example, all 2nd dans are placing special attention into hitting pressure points and causing sharp pain to our training partners, but if we feel we are struggling in another area we have already learned we can work on that instead until we feel better about it.

In our cirriculum, students are tested on specific skills learned from specific kata in order to progress. Green belts need to show "ju" and red belts must have a fair understanding of ground fighting.

How does it work for your school?

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I place great emphasis on Taiso, body conditioning and hardening. 9 times out of ten superior physical attributes will trump technique. When two equally skilled fighters meet, physical attribute is the decider of who wins and who loses.

Taiso also prepares te body for the rigors of combat like no other training can. IMHO it should have the greatest emphasis in any reality based MA

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The dojo I train in we have areas we focus on thruout our training for each Kyu... a little different than many Bujinkan schools I think, because those Ideas are structured by rank.

When we perpare for Black Belt, we pick a personal interest and work on that concept until we feel we "get it" and then present it to our instructor. Of course, he works with us along the way while we are practicing it, but its up to us to find and develop it. For example, I felt I was weak in a key area of our training, and that is controling the opponents balance. So when I was preparing for my black belt, I made my "Areas of special importance" about balance. I actually discovered quite a bit about the subject, AND learned that most of my ideas on what it was and how to use it, were all wrong. :D

I still work on it a lot in what I do now, because I am by no means an expert at it.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
...I think we actually agree on some level. Of course if a person gets hit hard enough in the face by a huge guy, they will probably go down like a sack of bricks.

I agree that fighting a bigger more muscular or athletic person puts someone at a disadvantage. But I don't believe that size is the deciding factor.

If a well trained person gets caught by a luckly swing, that person will likely go down. If a person is skilled enough, however, the chances of being caught off gaurd drastically decrease. Also we should remember that small people can withstand more punishment than some people give them credit for. Further more, the power behind an attack does not matter if the attack never connects.
Perhaps I came off sounding differently than I intended; I don't think strength doesn't have any influence on a fight, just not an overwhelming advantage.

You speak that a large person only needs to get in one technique or strike to effectively end a fight with someone weaker. I agree with that. But a well trained martial artist who weighs only around 100 pounds or so should also be able to win a fight against a big guy in one movement. That's why techniques should always be aimed for the weak spots on the human body.

"the bigger they are, the harder they fall"

Last edited:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another good tip is to get some feedback from your instructor. What you see might not be what s/he sees.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

Just going to weigh in on a couple of points here:

Size vs Skill - well, obviously size is the biggest determining factor in the development and ability of any martial artist; after all, Ueshiba, Funakoshi, Kano, Mifune, Sokaku Takeda et al. were all giants, with big rippling muscles, right? I mean, Ueshiba Sensei was what, almost 5 whole feet tall? Hmmm, might have to re-think that...

Endurance: If you are training for a competition, or a triathalon, or some other such athletic event, then conditioning and endurance training is very important... but this is in the Ninjutsu forum, so I feel I am safe in assuming that at the very least the vast majority aren't training in this particular mindset? As mentioned, a fight is often between 10 and 30 seconds... but the actual physical side might only last for 3 seconds (see Geoff Thompsons 3 Second Fighter for details on this). So the main aspect of endurance training should be to give you the ability to handle the shock of the adrenalin dump that you will experience, which leads me onto one of our main areas of importance at the moment...

Adrenalin Drills: One of our biggest focuses right now is to be able to train and perform under an adrenalized state. Essentially, techniques are taught and explored, then the element of adrenalin is brougth in to "pressure test" the skills developed. This can be very confronting, and very eye-opening, as I'm sure anyone here who has experienced it can attest (and I get the feeling there is possibly more than a few).

Ukemi: One of my old karate instructors used to talk about the basics like the foundations of a house; without solid foundations (basics), the house falls down, no matter how well designed (pretty, flashy) it is. Within Ninjutsu, I treat Ukemi as the basic of all basics... how can you learn a technique fully until you feel it on the recieving end as well as exercising it yourself? And how can you be on the recieving end if you never got your Ukemi (lit: recieving with the body....) down? So, yeah, if you stop focusing on Ukemi, your house doesn't have long to stand, no matter how big and impressive it looks from the outside.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

The terms "jutsu" and "jitsu" are different words, different kanji, and have different meanings. "Jutsu" has a translation in most Kanji dictionaries I have read of "practical art", whereas "jitsu" is translated as "truth", or "real" (sorry, my computer doesn't like me trying to post the kanji themselves...), and is never used to describe a Japanese artform - in fact, the only readily acceptable use of this mis-spelling is Brazilian JiuJitsu, which has been moving away from it's Japanese roots since Maeda first taught the Gracies and Machados nearly a century ago. Oh, and for the record, I am refering to the Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary, edited by Jack Halpern for my reference if you want to check them out yourself.

The site refered to by Tsuki Yomi seems to be more of a "well, we don't mind how you say it" kind of approach, rather than an in depth look at the language, but if you want to check it out, try to find a copy of Tanemura Sensei's old Panther Jujutsu series, number 6 (History and Traditions), where he illustrates in no uncertain terms the fact that the words are pronounced JU JUtsu, not JIU JUtsu, JU JItsu, or any other combination. He shows the different characters, and explains the different meanings pretty well there.

And while I'm here, yes, everyone is certainly welcome to post in any area, regardless of experience, in fact, that is one of the bes aspects of this particular forum... however, this thread is Ninjutsu-specific. If it was in the General Martial Art section, then an open discussion of different arts and practitioners approaches would be wonderful. But it's not, so I don't think it's unreasonable that if the question posed is "Areas of Special Importance In Your Training (In Ninjutsu as per the forum section)" that the answers be based on training areas for ninjutsu training by people training in ninjutsu. If someone not training in ninjutsu wanted to see what practitioners do focus on, great... but they would not be qualified to say what their focus in ninjutsu was. Make sense?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And while I'm here, yes, everyone is certainly welcome to post in any area, regardless of experience, in fact, that is one of the bes aspects of this particular forum... however, this thread is Ninjutsu-specific. If it was in the General Martial Art section, then an open discussion of different arts and practitioners approaches would be wonderful. But it's not, so I don't think it's unreasonable that if the question posed is "Areas of Special Importance In Your Training (In Ninjutsu as per the forum section)" that the answers be based on training areas for ninjutsu training by people training in ninjutsu. If someone not training in ninjutsu wanted to see what practitioners do focus on, great... but they would not be qualified to say what their focus in ninjutsu was. Make sense?

Yup. It does indeed.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a thought....why don't we return to the original topic of this thread which was:

Does anyone pay special attention to any one area of there training more than the others? By special attention, I mean do you work more on ukemi, taijutsu,dakentaijutsu,taihenjutsu,taisabaki, or stamina/endurance? Why do you put more emphasis on this area? Maybe you just try to balance out everything, and put no special attention into one area? Why do you do this? Guess this question is going to have many different responses, but I am interested to hear a few.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wasn't the forum discussing the legitimacy of Emilio's system closed for review? It seems like it has migrated here. I would rather know how he feels his training methods are in anyway better for him than a martial art system that has been proven to work by others. So far I've only heard of his weight exercising with tires.
How do you practice actual fighting? Do you practice with weapons?

Oh and as far as the original purpose of the post:
Once a firm ground in the basics of martial arts are established and you have learned to be a "jack of all trades" it is my opinion that someone should seek to master one particular thing. Whatever appeals to them most. For example, I want to be highly competent in all aspects of my martial art, but I would also like to specialize in spear and staff techniques just because I like them a lot.

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJS, I apologize that the thread got off topic. My intention was to answer the original question, which I did. Great emphasis is placed on physical attribute enhancement. My reasoning is that physical conditioning builds the mental and physical foundation upon which to train skill and technique. Without a high degree of mental and physical robustness, I believe technique and skill can crumble , when faced with a determined attack.
Modern weaponry is also highly trained. Combat handgunning is emphasized, focusing on israeli instinctive shooting concepts. Fieldcraft and survival skills and experiences are also areas I am trying to focus my training on.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The area of training you should focus on is Taijutsu and in specific Taisabaki IMO. This goes for any art IMO.

I would argue that my philosophy is directly in line with the roots of the ninja tradition as stated in Stephen Hayes's work "Ninjitsu, Art of the Invisible Warrior". He states; "The essence of the tradition stemmed from the training METHODS (emphasis mine) of Japan's shugenja and yamabushi mountain warrior ascetics, who subjected themselves to the harrowing rigors of harsh wilderness living in order to realize and achieve the strength of the very mountains in which they dwelled. In the early part of the ninth century, the shugendo METHODS of cultivating power through the EXPERIENCE OF TRIAL were expanded to include the mikkyo secret doctrines of enlightenment , then recently introduced to Japan from their far off Himalayan sources."

There is line between the Shugendo monks and the Ninja. The Ryuha such as Togakure did not come into being until the 1100's. However the function of the Ninja may be earlier there really is no evidence to support it came from the Shugendo sects. Some Yamabushi did act as spies and were martial artist they were skilled with the naginata and sword but I don't think they were developed into a particular ryu-ha. I also don't think the martial side of the Shugendo sects exist except in ritual. Stephen Hayes is not the best source for things dealing with Ninjutsu since some of his facts are not accurate. I also want to say that Japanese back then were smaller then they were today. So I doubt the Ninja had very big muscles which would no doubt hinder his ability to blend in for everyday life.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great emphasis is placed on physical attribute enhancement. My reasoning is that physical conditioning builds the mental and physical foundation upon which to train skill and technique. Without a high degree of mental and physical robustness, I believe technique and skill can crumble , when faced with a determined attack.
Modern weaponry is also highly trained. Combat handgunning is emphasized, focusing on israeli instinctive shooting concepts. Fieldcraft and survival skills and experiences are also areas I am trying to focus my training on.

OK, now we are getting somewhere. I have some other questions for you emilio:

1: Other than knives and firearms are there any other weapons you train with or against?
2: If you believe that physical power is a key feature to winning a fight, what will become of you when you are older and are attacked or if you were injured or sick?

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as traditional weapons , I train with hanbo and jo, shuriken, nunchaku and bow/arrow, I want to learn and train with flexible weapons , tonfa, kama, knife and stick. I am going to try to get to some of the arnis/kali intensives over at Brian's IRT.

As a side note, I am planning on attending his neck crank intensive in April, as I am a big believer in controlling the head of an opponent and I feel his intensive on neck cranks will give me lots to absorb.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin Note

This thread is being locked for a short time while clean up is in progress. It will be reopened shortly.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin Note

Some may notice that certain posts have been removed from this thread. They can now be located here. Please return to the original topic and direct questions about the other 'art' in the proper thread.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

Latest Discussions