Are there any good escrima stick drill videos?

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking for some good escrima stick videos. I have YouTube some videos. I'm just wondering what do you guys recommend.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are quite a few depending on your system of study. Check out GoldStar video and see if there isn't something of interest: Goldstar Video - Rent the Best Martial Arts training DVDs online | MMA | Kung Fu | JKD | Pistol | Knife | Karate

The problem is that most of the videos are just that, drills. They don't teach the combative application of those drills and serve only to build one's ability to do those movements. Building attributes is important, but that implies that there is some ability to transfer those skills to something more applied. Unfortunately, that is often not the case. Until I started studying PTK with the organization I am with now, I never once saw the application of things like sinawali, even though I had done countless sinawali drills in the different FMA styles I had studied.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you look on that Goldstar video site that Charlemagne mentioned I really like Tim Waid's Pekiti videos and the Dog Brother videos, both are very applied.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may be off but when I think drill, I don't think, combatives, but I think a good video about the key points (timing, range etc) is this... Yeah the commentator is a fanboi but it gets concepts across well imo, for YouTube

Last edited:
OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I looked at Doug Marcaida videos. I can't see paying $90 then paying for each video.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can find a lot of free ones on Youtube.

The thing is though those videos tend to be high speed demonstrations, though often with good commentary. I certainly find some of them useful but I am using the commentary to augment my formal training, I wouldn't suggest using those videos as "full on" training videos.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a bunch of options out there, as noted by myself and others. What virtually none of those options are going to provide is a proper understanding of what those drills are meant to impart, beyond attributes, in terms of method of attack/counter-attack, or how to use them tactically. Even in live training, there are many teachers who look great in drills but don't ever teach the application of those drills, perhaps because they don't know it, or perhaps because they are holding back. Attribute training is important, but for most attribute training in FMA there is a direct application as well.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently studying Kajukenbo. There is weapon defense training and weapon disarming, but nothing to teaching you how to properly use the weapon once you took it from your attacker. I want to learn some basic stuff until I can afford to take Kali.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently studying Kajukenbo. There is weapon defense training and weapon disarming, but nothing to teaching you how to properly use the weapon once you took it from your attacker. I want to learn some basic stuff until I can afford to take Kali.

Work on basic angles 1 and 2 and applying them with varying types of footwork. Those two simple strikes will take you a long way if you can perform them properly while moving and controlling range.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Give some love to Wympyr on YouTube. He makes Eskrima videos and martial arts talks. Very good at what he does in my opinion.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
You don't like Wympyr videos?

No art can be learned without a partner. Wympr is his many many videos can't even manage to get a partner in there to show you what he is actually doing. He is literally just showing you how to swing a stick or stab with a knife, but he is doing it as simply patterns in the air. So you can copy a sinawalli pattern, how do you apply it? You will never know watching those videos.

Oh, and to throw out another series that actually shows application, try Battlefield Kali by Burton Richardson.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok, I take it back he actually did find a partner to explain a sinawalli pattern.....

And he does say that the application is different than the drill, but do you find his explanation useful? I find it far less than useful, when I teach sinawalli I teach the application of each pattern, what you are attacking and what advantage you are seeking, not just "go out and do it" but functional techniques to let you hit your opponent without getting hit (hopefully).

Latest Discussions