April Fools for the computer Geeks

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work for an engineering company and we among other things work with computer security....this was a post on one of the e-mail lists today....got a lot of traffic, took people a minute to figure out this was an April Fools....

Can you tell I work in a company of geeks?

The bolded part is the funniest of this I think!

REDMOND, Wash. — April 1, 2008 —Microsoft Corp. today announced plans to acquire the intellectual property rights of The MITRE Corporation’s Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) for $175,000. CVE is a list of information security vulnerabilities and exposures that aims to provide common names for publicly known problems. The goal of CVE is to make it easier to share data across separate vulnerability capabilities (tools, repositories, and services) with this "common enumeration.” CVE will become a key component of the Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC). The MSRC is a worldwide security response system created to protect Microsoft customers from vulnerabilities in Microsoft software.

[FONT=&quot]“We view the acquisition of MITRE CVE as a strategic security building block for Microsoft,” said Thomas Whitman, Director of Microsoft Trustworthy Computing. Microsoft will rename CVE to Microsoft Vulnerabilities and Exposures (MVE). Vulnerabilities associated with other products will be referred to as Other Vulnerabilities and Exposures (OVE). “We plan to sell OVE to an interested buyer,” said Whitman. Interested buyers include Google, Apple, and Tengtu International Corp. “Our goal is to make MVE unnecessary since Microsoft will be releasing pure, bug free products. The analogy is the purity of Ivory Soap, Microsoft products will float on water,” added Whitman. MVE will be associated with Microsoft vulnerabilities identified after 1 May 2008 and the numbering scheme will start with MVE-2008-0001. MVE will be fully integrated with Microsoft Office 2009. The new MVE web site will be launched in June. Downloadable versions of MVE will also be available for Microsoft Zune and Xbox players. Additional details on MVE and MVE-compatible products will be forthcoming.

[FONT=&quot]About Microsoft[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note to editors:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If you are interested in viewing additional information on Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft Web page at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass on Microsoft’s corporate information pages. Web links, telephone numbers and titles were correct at time of publication, but may since have changed. For additional assistance, journalists and analysts may contact Microsoft’s Rapid Response Team or other appropriate contacts listed at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/contactpr.mspx.[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I am to dumb to understand, but the again I need help to turn my computer on.

Latest Discussions