Anyone here carry a Glock 19 as their CCW?

TurtlePower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm beginning to shop for my first handgun and after going to the range for a birthday four months ago, I'm leaning toward the Glock 19, but it does seem a little big for CC. What do you guys think?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I carry a Glock 19 99% of the time. I'm not a big guy but I don't find it to be too big at all. I have no problem concealing it while wearing a t-shirt and shorts in the summer time. It just disappears with a good IWB holster.

I think a solid argument can be made that the G19 is quite possibly the best all-around pistol on the market.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Glock 26 here. In fact it's been worked over by Bowie Tactical Concepts. Real good grip reduction.

So if you want to pack that 19, or 23, or 32 Glock, think about that. Makes it a bit smaller in the grip and much better hold.

They look like this:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1249141

Look down to the 26 shown. But mine has Hinnie sights and the grip has a 'U' cut out so I can grip the mag and rip it out if need be. Oh, and notice the hook on the front of the trigger guard has been taken off. So has mine! And it's releaved under the trigger where it rubs your middle finger.

This can be done to a 19/23/32 also! I'm thinking about getting my Glock 23 done like my 26!

Deaf

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's for me, it's a 23. I've had a Glock 23 for a few years now. Feels good, shoots good.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
G26 for me. I really lie the 19, but the 26 conceals better because of the shorter grip.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Glock 19 isn't difficult to CCW at all. I carry a Glock 23 quite often (same size), quite comfortably.

The key here, is getting a good quality holster, and a good, strong, stiff leather belt that won't collapse.

Right now, I use a combination of a Desantis Mini Slide, in addition to a custom made 1.5" wide, leather belt that I bought at a good gun show. This rig disappears underneath an untucked shirt, or any kind of jacket. Even an untucked short sleeved dress shirt worn over a T-shirt works great.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm beginning to shop for my first handgun and after going to the range for a birthday four months ago, I'm leaning toward the Glock 19, but it does seem a little big for CC. What do you guys think?

GLOCK 26/27 will do you fine.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought about going for the 26, but I want a light rail as this will double as a home defense gun.

In that case the G19 is as small as it's going to get.

I carry a G22c as a duty weapon and a G27 as an off-duty carry weapon.

G19/23 is a compromise compact between the full-size and the sub-compact, so that sounds like what you're looking for.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glock 26 here. In fact it's been worked over by Bowie Tactical Concepts. Real good grip reduction.

So if you want to pack that 19, or 23, or 32 Glock, think about that. Makes it a bit smaller in the grip and much better hold.

They look like this:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1249141

Look down to the 26 shown. But mine has Hinnie sights and the grip has a 'U' cut out so I can grip the mag and rip it out if need be. Oh, and notice the hook on the front of the trigger guard has been taken off. So has mine! And it's releaved under the trigger where it rubs your middle finger.

This can be done to a 19/23/32 also! I'm thinking about getting my Glock 23 done like my 26!

Deaf
I have meant for a long time to send my G22c off to Bowie to have some work done, but have never gotten around to it.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a 1st generation Glock 19 with a light rail. I love that gun. I've carried it concealed on many occasions...in my britches (waistband and holster), in a purse, in a jacket pocket, in a fanny pack. Never any problems, except once it slipped out of the waistband of my pants and went down my pant leg. Hah!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you look at the actual specs on the Glock models between their 9mm/40s&w calibers you don't really gain/lose much size between the models.

The difference between their full size model and the compact model is about 1 inch shorter slide and about 1 1/4 inch shorter on the grip. Most people I know, add a grip extender on it anyways so that makes it about only 1/2 shorter grip than the fullsize. I think it's more of a psychological thing that it looks alot smaller.

I carry both the fullsize and the mid while off duty and don't notice a difference at all really. Also, I have more control with the longer slide on it.

OP
TurtlePower

TurtlePower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice/opinions.

In that case the G19 is as small as it's going to get.

I carry a G22c as a duty weapon and a G27 as an off-duty carry weapon.

G19/23 is a compromise compact between the full-size and the sub-compact, so that sounds like what you're looking for.

Yeah, I'm just trying to decide whether it's doable as a CC, or if I should wait until I can get a dedicated CC gun and a dedicated HD gun.

The Glock 19 isn't difficult to CCW at all. I carry a Glock 23 quite often (same size), quite comfortably.

The key here, is getting a good quality holster, and a good, strong, stiff leather belt that won't collapse.

Right now, I use a combination of a Desantis Mini Slide, in addition to a custom made 1.5" wide, leather belt that I bought at a good gun show. This rig disappears underneath an untucked shirt, or any kind of jacket. Even an untucked short sleeved dress shirt worn over a T-shirt works great.

What's your opinion on the Crossbreed SuperTuck?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's your opinion on the Crossbreed SuperTuck?

It's actually a pretty good holster, with it being one of the more comfortable offerings out there (for IWB carry, anyways). It's very adjustable, and can be arranged for each person's habits.

As long as you don't mind buying larger waist sized pants, then it's a very functional, stable Kydex holster that does a good job of retaining the gun.

I still prefer OWB carry, since I'm not one to buy larger pants.

There are many other excellent high riding OWB choices, such as Mitch Rosen's Upper Limit Express (75 bucks, but well worth it).

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your advice/opinions.

Yeah, I'm just trying to decide whether it's doable as a CC, or if I should wait until I can get a dedicated CC gun and a dedicated HD gun.

I don't think you'll regret buying the 19...I know a ton of guys who carry the 19/23 (I prefer the 19) year-round w/o any concealment issues.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TurtlePower,

How about going to a shop and seeing if the 19 will work for you under a T-shirt? And if they have one, try a Glock 26 to.

That way you will know what works and doesn't. All of 'em will work with a coat, but it's the T-shirt that's tough, especially in the appendix position.

Deaf

OP
TurtlePower

TurtlePower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
TurtlePower,

How about going to a shop and seeing if the 19 will work for you under a T-shirt? And if they have one, try a Glock 26 to.

That way you will know what works and doesn't. All of 'em will work with a coat, but it's the T-shirt that's tough, especially in the appendix position.

Deaf

Yeah, I live in FL, so I'm not gonna be wearing jackets, lol. I might do that, I just don't know if I feel comfortable asking if I can hide a $600 worth of merchandise down my pants!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I own Glocks, I have experience with 1911's too and there is something to be said for the flat single stack profile and CCW.