Any problems on teaching two different styles?

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do any of you see an issue with this, and feel that you can handle it properly? Especially when the philosophies may differ?:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo said:
Do any of you see an issue with this, and feel that you can handle it properly? Especially when the philosophies may differ?:asian:

Yea..teach 'em seperately. Seriously, that is what has to be done if you want to maintain the integrity of the art, IMHO. If not, you end up teaching a hybrid (which is not exactly a bad thing, but then you should call it what it is...a hybrid, if that is what you choose).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teaching multiple Arts is ok as long as you do not mix the seperatation of the different style is what make that style unique. So many try to take what is good from one style and throw the rest away, in my opion thats just MMA at it's best.

T

tmonis

It is a difficult thing to do. However it can be done. I teach Kenpo and will teach my students some Hakkoryu Ju Jitsu in with it if the Kenpo technique calls for a good wrist lock, armbar, elbow break, or throw. The throwing part is what most of my students like as far as Ju Jitsu is concerned. I have found that Kenpo and Hakkoryu Ju Jitsu (not grappling) compliment each other very well. However I do not try to teach them the whole Ju Jitsu system. I like to use Ju Jitsu to hold and lock my attacker in, perform a Kenpo technique, and then perform a Ju Jitsu throw if possible as a finishing move. My students do not get 2 different black Belts in to different arts. They just learn to blend Ju Jitsu in with Kenpo.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo said:
Well if you want to teach Kenpo and TKD philosophies and forms or whatnot keep them on seperate evenings. Just make sure you wear the right gi on the right night :) .

If you want to teach Kenpo as your base curriculum and add the TKD kicks and kicking methods then I see no problems. The Kenpo forms and the TKD forms will contradict themselves and be hard on the students to learn especially since the stances are so different.

In the end only you can decide on what you are going to teach. :ultracool

V

Vadim

I dont see a problem with teaching two different styles so long as you maintain the integrity of each style being taught if that is your goal. If you are trying to blend two different styles then I think that can be done effectively as well. Masters of other styles have created (blended) traditional styles to form new martial arts. Ultimately I feel that the practitioner of any style is what makes the martial arts unique and gives it its flavor. Philosophical issues do arise but that is part of the process of learning and is what keeps martial arts dynamic and not stagnant. Best of luck to you.

-Vadim

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont see a problem with it, but like a few others have already said...keep them seperate! Feel free to explain similarities/differences, but try to avoid blending them together.

Mike

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends, do the philosophies just differ, or do they actually oppose each other?

Teaching opposing ideas won't work, it will just cause confusion.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as the student has a solid base in one art, teaching another one should not be a problem. Now when people are training at a gym where they are learning 5 styles at once there is a problem. Its ok to mix two at once, but not anymore unless your a vet.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like others have said teach them seperate so you do not run into problems. I do not see a problem however with borrowing from one to the other if it fits into your lesson for that block of instruction to help round it out however I would not teach it as part of your cirriculum.

B

Black Bear

When you realize you are teaching people, not styles, the question becomes transparent.

R

rmcrobertson

If one actually had the time and energy to learn another art, this would become an issue...one supposes there's nothing wrong with it, provided a) the teacher actually knows what they're doing, and b) they're not overlooking what's in their art already.

It was a bit surprising to see the claims that kenpo needed supplementing with kicks from TKD, or grappling/locks/arm-bars from a jiu-jitsu style...realizing that some folks will immediately claim that I'm claiming that kenpo's immaculate (no, not at all, but have at it), it's been my experience that a) we were taught better technical/power kicks than many in TKD, and b) the grapples, locks and arm-bars are throughout kenpo...so it's a bit confusing as to why these particular supplements would be needed.

A separate issue involves the common claim of expertise which is not supported by actual expertise. Another question, too, is whether one art can actively interfere with another...

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
b) they're not overlooking what's in their art already.
A very good point rmcrobertson. I don't want to say that there is any one art that is capable of handling any possible situation, however I believe it was Mr. Parker who said "I would rather have 10 techniques I can fight with than 100 that fight me" I feel many who study multiple arts become too concerned with learning too many specail application techniques. My point is why seek answers in another art until you have fully explored your own.

-Josh-

Latest Discussions