Any interest in reviving this?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got enough content to do 1 or 2 issues. I simply do not have the time to sort through and edit this. I'm looking for 2-3 assistant editors who'se job would be to sort through the submissions, weed out the chaff and put the nuggets into a usable state that I could then assemble into the finished product.

Need to be able to handle MS Word .doc files.
Graphics skills a plus.

Idea is to do 4 quarterly issues, Jan-Mar / Apr-Jun / July-Sept / Oct-Dec. We'd start with the 3rd qtr issue.

We will also need regular, serious content. Anyone interested in doing a regular collumn please step forward. 1 page with a pic and byline would be great...more even better.

We were on a roll with this, and it just fizzled out. I think the ol girl can rise again. Whatta y'all think?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anything Martial or Martial-business related. Kinda vague I know, but relaunches tend to have alot of leeway. Check out the old issues for past examples. I think they are still online.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i have a pretty good background in the healing arts.......while i am no doctor, i have been treating people with shiatsu for over 6 years.....i can write all day about martial arts as well....lol

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats what I've been in desparate need to keep the mag alive. Regular content. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm way behind on getting back to this. That is one of the reasons it's been on hold, I'm too busy to really do it the way I used to.

I'm looking into several options to bring it back, and allow us to do it with out me having to do everything as I used to. I'll hopefully be making an announcement soon.

If you are interested in doing a regular collumn, please post here and let me know.

Please don't commit to a regular piece if you can't do at least 1 page (1 typed/printed page) a month.

Thank you!

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Id be willing to attempt a column about LE issues/Weapons/Tactics if anybody is interested.

M

Mark Weiser

If you want I am starting my Training in Naturopathic Medicine. I maybe able to cross that with my Nursing Training and Martial Arts exposure. Let me know Bob.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Id be willing to attempt a column about LE issues/Weapons/Tactics if anybody is interested.
I think that would be an interesting topic to read about.

Bob,

As for myself I'm not capable of contributing content, I simply don't have the knowledge and experience required. However I would consider working on the editing if you still need help with that. I'm pretty good with MS Word, and have graphics editing programs, and other things as well. I don't want to commit to it unless you think that I would be up to your expectations.

Let me know.

-Josh

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I, too, have graphics skills, editing and Tech Writing skills and experience. I would be happy to assist in this and contribute where and when I can. My MA experience is limited; but, I've done several bits of research over the years and could feasibly do articles on weapons, objects, people, etc.

egg

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can be in charge of the sheep dip! I'm a bad writer and worse martial artist, but I'll cheer ya on! Oh, and I'm getting pretty decent at painting Chinese, Japanese and Korean characters if you need anything like that done.

Bob Hubbard said:
I've got enough content to do 1 or 2 issues. I simply do not have the time to sort through and edit this. I'm looking for 2-3 assistant editors who'se job would be to sort through the submissions, weed out the chaff and put the nuggets into a usable state that I could then assemble into the finished product.

Need to be able to handle MS Word .doc files.
Graphics skills a plus.

Idea is to do 4 quarterly issues, Jan-Mar / Apr-Jun / July-Sept / Oct-Dec. We'd start with the 3rd qtr issue.

We will also need regular, serious content. Anyone interested in doing a regular collumn please step forward. 1 page with a pic and byline would be great...more even better.

We were on a roll with this, and it just fizzled out. I think the ol girl can rise again. Whatta y'all think?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok....
We can go 2 ways with this.

1- send files to someone who can edit, organize and convert to PDF format. Adobe Indesign experience required.

2- Setup 2 forums 1 for reviewing/editing and 1 for 'publishing'. Articles would go out as we process them.

Thoughts?

I've got a backlog of about 70-100 articles at this time.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Ok....
We can go 2 ways with this.

1- send files to someone who can edit, organize and convert to PDF format. Adobe Indesign experience required.

2- Setup 2 forums 1 for reviewing/editing and 1 for 'publishing'. Articles would go out as we process them.

Thoughts?

I've got a backlog of about 70-100 articles at this time.
Is InDesign really necessary? Can't design work be done in Word and then PDF'd?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can word duplicate the layouts? I didn't have any luck which is why all the current issues were edited in word, layed out in Indesign and printed to PDF.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try PrimoPDF converter for converting from Word to PDF I know a lot of people have had a lot of luck with this and it seems to work quite well..free as well

OpenOffice also allows the ability to convert to PDF

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we should get shirt ripper to write a column on strength training/fitness/etc.......

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind writing articles...just don't know what I'd write about....any ideas, what are you still looking for or need?

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
I'm a bad writer and worse martial artist
Dude, you're in. Heh.

...and bignick calls out the ripperman...hmm. I'd consider it. But like you said, topics?
Training "outside the dojo" perhaps. Responsibility though. This is a good idea, this "publication" thing, let's see where it goes.

Latest Discussions