Another wake up for Chinese Martial Arts

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the same reason I know that people who have learnt to ride a bike are better at ridding a bike than those who haven't
that and the fact they bother to teach police officers to disarm people. If it wern't so,they would say, no we won't bother teaching you how to disarm a knife man, just wing it

Because you can ride bikes and see people riding bikes. You can make an assesment on what it takes to be a good bike rider.

You cant see what system makes people better at handling weapons.

And the poilice bit is silly. I train with three police officers who do BJJ.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@jobo

BJJ also has their disarms and sd, same as any other style. Mma isn't BJJ, and I'm not a BJJ guy, nor is anyone in this thread..so you continually bringing it up isn't furthering your case...whatever that is.
well they don't do knife disarms in mma either.
I though mma was just bjj with a few punches thrown in. Same rubbish different name

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because you can ride bikes and see people riding bikes. You can make an assesment on what it takes to be a good bike rider.

yes and those officers will all have had specific training in disarming. That makes them better at,eer disarming than your average bjj bod

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's at this point where I wish I knew how the different armed forces around the world trained. I know for example that some train in Krav Maga but I'm guessing there is a big difference between the Krav Maga that is taught to civilians and that which is taught to the armed forces.
I believe that typical armed forces hand-to-hand training, for a variety of legitimate reasons, is simple and fundamental, and not given a lot of time or energy.

Just because something is taught to some armed forces, is not a reason to assume it is especially effective or sophisticated. Actually, it is often the opposite.

Is that what you were getting at?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes your at a,disadvantage, that why people use weapons to give them an edge. And those who train in weapons disarm are at less of a disadvantage than those who don't
I would say the opposite. If you have confidence in your 'knife drills' when someone tries to stab you, you are far more likely to see the inside of an ER than someone who holds no such(dangerous) belief.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say the opposite. If you have confidence in your 'knife drills' when someone tries to stab you, you are far more likely to see the inside of an ER than someone who holds no such(dangerous) belief.
that would only be true if my confidence was misplaced. I'm only fighting a knife man if I have no,choice, unless I'm armed, so my confidence has little to do with it
someone pulled a BIG Knife on me once during a road rage incident, I backed away to my bike and came back with a claw hammer. He didn't think that a fair fight and jumped in his car and shot off

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
that would only be true if my confidence was misplaced.

I hope, sincerely, that nobody reading this takes you seriously and adopts these sorts of beliefs and gets maimed or killed as a result.

We are done here, and onto ignore you go.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope, sincerely, that nobody reading this takes you seriously and adopts these sorts of beliefs and gets maimed or killed as a result.

We are done here, and onto ignore you go.

what beliefs, that mma is rubbish or that getting weapons training is a good idea

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes and those officers will all have had specific training in disarming. That makes them better at,eer disarming than your average bjj bod

No your argument was. If police do it it must be relevant. Or they wouldn't do it.

An argument for knife disarms would have to stand on its own merits.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
those are American rules, we are debating under world rules

images

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
@jobo

BJJ also has their disarms and sd, same as any other style. Mma isn't BJJ, and I'm not a BJJ guy, nor is anyone in this thread..so you continually bringing it up isn't furthering your case...whatever that is.
Wrong there aren't any disarms in bjj. Yes there's self defence aspects but there's no weapons involved at all.

Latest Discussions