Another effective self defense training video

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I pity the girl or anyone had to use those super duper techniques for real.

Enjoy the video FWIW. :s67:

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Amazing! Do you actually have to pay for that type of training? :p

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Quite aside from the fact that they don't appear to be very good at what they're doing (at least to my non-WingChunner eyes), I was really distracted by those little jerky, twitchy, robot-like movements she makes each time she resets after a block. I don't recall seeing other WC practitioners make those. Is there something actually in the art that she might be trying to emulate with those motions or is it just a tic of some sort?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the "continuous punch" versus "continuous punch" exercise , a good drill that develops "elbow force" , except that the ladies punch is much too circular for my liking.

The main problem is the wrong application for the techniques , Pak Sau is suitable for use against straight punches or getting through someones guard.
Using Pak Sau against a circular strike is just flat out wrong , besides being a hard block , it would be a very risky proposition trying to use a small surface area like your palm heel to try and intercept a fast strike.

Not only that you are defending with the wrong hand and leaving your other side exposed.
A much more efficient and safer option is to just raise your arm on the same side the strike is coming in , it uses the much larger surface area of the forearm as it deflects the strike up and away from your head.

Nothing wrong with the guys techniques , he is just using the wrong tools for the job.
Bit like trying to use a slotted screw driver when what you really need is a phillips head.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

This makes me sad. It is bad enough that there should be laws against it.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the "continuous punch" versus "continuous punch" exercise , a good drill that develops "elbow force" , except that the ladies punch is much too circular for my liking.

The main problem is the wrong application for the techniques , Pak Sau is suitable for use against straight punches or getting through someones guard.
Using Pak Sau against a circular strike is just flat out wrong , besides being a hard block , it would be a very risky proposition trying to use a small surface area like your palm heel to try and intercept a fast strike.

Not only that you are defending with the wrong hand and leaving your other side exposed.
A much more efficient and safer option is to just raise your arm on the same side the strike is coming in , it uses the much larger surface area of the forearm as it deflects the strike up and away from your head.

Nothing wrong with the guys techniques , he is just using the wrong tools for the job.
Bit like trying to use a slotted screw driver when what you really need is a phillips head.

I don't know - his form is a bit wonky too. Just watch his Sil Lim Tao video - elbows are out often -- even in the punches, and there's some other weird stuff going on. But I agree that the applications are the most concerning bit - they're not just wrong, they're downright dangerous.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know - his form is a bit wonky too. Just watch his Sil Lim Tao video - elbows are out often -- even in the punches, and there's some other weird stuff going on. But I agree that the applications are the most concerning bit - they're not just wrong, they're downright dangerous.

I haven't seen that one , but I will take your word for it.

The only way I can think of that someone could delude themselves into thinking that Pak Sau could be used in that way , is if the man has never had someone in front of him really trying to take his head off.

shaGua

White Belt
Reaction score
I wonder where he learned because I haven't seen anyone do sil lim tao like that... can know a lot about a person's technique or their principles by watching how they do slt. Although I tried, I can't bring myself to swing my elbows like that or have lan sau at that angle...

but hey, if it works for him o_O

edited --
doh... i didn't want that to be my first post, lol.

Last edited:

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
possibly the worst proposed applications of wing chun techniques I've ever seen and that is a big statement. Not only will what he's proposing not work, in many cases if the woman happens to make contact with the incoming arm (a slim to FA chance) she'll end up with a sprained wrist due to the angles involved. I normally try to be open minded and give the benefit of the doubt but this is just 100% pure tosh

jeff_hasbrouck

Green Belt
Reaction score
That was pretty bad, especially claiming to be part of LT org. First off they're using the side palm wrong. If someone gives you a straight punch up top, your supposed to step in and use a punch in conjunction with a side-palm (if a SP is needed at all)...

The second technique is what i'm assuming is a fuk-sau (Fook-Sao)? which for a actual "hook punch" is the correct response... but that isn't a fuk-sau, and that definately wasn't a hook. The correct response for the hay-maker he was throwing a ko-tan-sau (upper palm up hand).

And the third is the gaun/gum (splitting arm/pinning arm).... The gum-sau or "pinning hand" is where you see the defender basically palming the opponent in a downward fashion, which consequently; Doesn't work. I know, I used to do this same thing when I was learnning. The Gum-sau is has many applications. there are short and long bridge gum-sau's, but none are used to block a low level punch... WHY? Because it will not effectively stop the punch. MAYBE it could defend a low level straight punch, but not really. You would use a Gaun-sau (splitting arm). Gum-sau is used for trapping among many other things.

Gaun-sau is ALWAYS used in conjunction with a turn. If you don't, you are just moving your arm up and down the center. this wont work simply because if the opponent can still strike far enough to get past a gaun sau. Now if you put it with a slight stance turn, you are giving yourself the distance to move your body away from the danger.

We have an old saying in WT: if the body is in bad position, the hands must compensate; If the body posture isn't good, the hands must compensate.

You can't practice these techniques without using a stance turn. The guy on the left is clearly not an instructor and cleary has no idea of how these techniques are properly exectued and clearly no idea of the concepts behind how and why they work.

I'm not really sure why you posted the video, but it wasn't worth much of a look.

Ya'll have a good one,

Jeff

OP
W

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I'm not really sure why you posted the video, but it wasn't worth much of a look.

I posted the video so others, including yourself could give a shot of have some fun with it or thrash it. It's more for entertainment than any thing else ... you did notice the big bucket of popcorn ...

Latest Discussions