An open letter to undecided voters

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, a brief note really...

Dear undecided voters:
It is now less than two weeks from election day. If, at this late date, you have still not decided which candidates, propositions, etc, deserve your vote, please don't. Don't vote. If after all this time, you still can't figure it out, you aren't smart enough to vote, so spare the rest of us the results of your bad decisions and don't, just don't.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you haven't figured out who you support, what you stand for, by this late date, you have failed in your responsibility as an American.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you haven't figured out who you support, what you stand for, by this late date, you have failed in your responsibility as an American.

Why should Americans figure this out when Obombney can't seem to figure out where they stand? If the wind blows toward more votes, the candidates race downwind.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I figured out where I stand on the Presidential election weeks ago. Some local contests I'll figure out a few days before voting, once the ballot comes out and I can look up the particulars.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Undecided is a euphanism that means "ain't no one else's damn business who I vote for"

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're still undecided--I don't get it! I assume you just don't really care and are more disinterested than anything else.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Trying to decide who to vote for in these races. Such hard decisions.

New York State Senate - 63rd District
Timothy M. Kennedy (D)
Timothy M. Kennedy (WF)
Timothy M. Kennedy (I)

Assembly - 142nd District
Michael P. Kearns (D)
Michael P. Kearns (R)
Michael P. Kearns (C)
Michael P. Kearns (WF)

Family Court Judge
Kevin M. Carter (D)
Kevin M. Carter (R)
Kevin M. Carter (C)
Kevin M. Carter (WF)
Kevin M. Carter (I)

District Attorney
Frank A. Sedita III (D)
Frank A. Sedita III (R)
Frank A. Sedita III (C)
Frank A. Sedita III (WF)

City Court Judge
Amy C. Martoche (D)
Amy C. Martoche (R)
Amy C. Martoche (C)
Amy C. Martoche (WF)
Amy C. Martoche (I)

Thank you Buffalo and NY, for making these so heavily contested. I actually like Kennedy, but find the total lack of a GOP or Conservative option frustrating. Of course I'd prefer a libertarian but WNY is heavily Democrat. I'll probably write in candidates for most of these as it doesn't matter as they'll never be counted. I'll of course continue my past action of voting against Brian Higgins (Rep) and Kirsten Gillibrand (Sen)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Dear undecided voters:
It is now less than two weeks from election day. If, at this late date, you have still not decided which candidates, propositions, etc, deserve your vote, please don't. Don't vote. If after all this time, you still can't figure it out, you aren't smart enough to vote, so spare the rest of us the results of your bad decisions and don't, just don't.

I can't disagree with this strongly enough! The election isn't until November 6; there's plenty of reason to still be trying to decide. Or plenty of time to research and make an informed vote. Or, maybe, there are still issues that they're weighing for themselves. (Or they come up as "undecided" on polls because the polls often only offer Obama or Romney as choices.)

But even more importantly -- while I'd prefer informed votes, I don't care if you ask some guy in the parking lot how he's voting, and vote the exact opposite. We have the right to vote; too many men and women have died to preserve and ensure that right. Too many in the world would die to have the right to influence their government at all. Exercise it. Vote.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I call BS on this. In fact, if you became un-undecided before you had the complete picture, or all the facts, you are more likely to have failed in your responsibility as an American than if you continue to gather information about the candidates until the last possible moment before coming to a decision.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Undecided is a euphanism that means "ain't no one else's damn business who I vote for"

I think there is some of that and also some people that want to present an appearance of independence, as well as those that really are independent and still haven't decided.

Is there are poll of undecided voters that indicate which candidates they are undecided about? For example, maybe many undecided voters are considering third party, but have been pulled in by the notion that a vote for a third party is a vote for or against one of the major party candidates.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Dear undecided voters:

I agree with this in some sense. We have lots of public service announcements that tell everyone to go vote. It's your civic duty to vote. Rock the vote!

Well, that comes with a caveat, and the caveat is to educate yourself and then vote. Not telling anyone whom to vote for or what their reasons should be, but that they should educate themselves on the issues they feel strongly about, the candidates they feel most represent those interests and THEN go vote. If you can't be arsed to do that, then please, for the sake of all that's holy, stay home and watch the game on TV.

In other words, if you can't be bothered to learn the issues and choose a candidate based on that, then voting for you is the act of an uninformed fool and we have enough of those already, thanks.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't disagree with this strongly enough! The election isn't until November 6; there's plenty of reason to still be trying to decide. Or plenty of time to research and make an informed vote. Or, maybe, there are still issues that they're weighing for themselves. (Or they come up as "undecided" on polls because the polls often only offer Obama or Romney as choices.)

But even more importantly -- while I'd prefer informed votes, I don't care if you ask some guy in the parking lot how he's voting, and vote the exact opposite. We have the right to vote; too many men and women have died to preserve and ensure that right. Too many in the world would die to have the right to influence their government at all. Exercise it. Vote.
Can't agree with this enough! It may just be because my moms (who admittedly may have a different view on some things because she was born in Cuba) been beating this idea in my head, but the fact that we get to vote on our leaders is one of the best things about america, and everyone who can vote should vote, otherwise they have no right to complain about any problems america has, or their state has, or their district has. Besides, according to political science/psychology (if you want a source..redlawsk 2005), if you wait longer to decide and spend more time deliberating issues than the average person, rather than deciding prematurely, you're more likely to vote for the candidate that has ideas you actually want in office, rather than a biased vote.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Dear undecided voters:

Oh I can figure it out all right. I'm undecided because the only ones that have any chance of being elected are both narcissistic, greedy, lying politicians who are owned by the incredibly rich that bought them. I'm not undecided because I'm not smart enough, I'm undecided because I'm too smart to believe the incredible amount of BS and spin that is spewed by both political parties. I'm still trying desperately to figure out where my vote can best go to attempt to keep either of our main candidates from totally destroying what remains of our country.

I'm undecided right now, but I'll figure the last of it out as best as I can before I vote.

:)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

well, looks like the conservatives are doing everything they can to discourage and prevent people from voting.

hilarious!

Thanks Don, for giving me someone to laugh at today!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, at this point, you either know if you are going to vote for obama or aren't going to vote, or if you are going to do the right thing and vote for Romney. If not, you need to pay more attention, your financial well being is stake here.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
or....you look for every stupid trick to try and prevent those whose positions disagree with yours, from voting. Like the republicans have been trying to do all over the place, like in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

In the case of this pathetic and stupid thread, it's to pretend to take the superior position of stating that if one is as yet undecided, then one's right to vote should be sacrificed to ignorance. Translation: if you probably won't vote the way the OP would like, then don't vote.

this is dumb as mud.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, at this point, you either know if you are going to vote for obama or aren't going to vote, or if you are going to do the right thing and vote for Romney. If not, you need to pay more attention, your financial well being is stake here.
Uh, no.

Part of the issue I currently have is that I haven't decided if I'm afraid enough of one outcome to let that shape my vote.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You forgot Gary Johnson (and Jill Stein i suppose)

Latest Discussions