An issue with software, or is it me?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, I have this brand spanking new computer. It works 1000 times better than the one before, but I have one little issue and I hope there's a way to work through it... The problem is, is the parental controls on this thing! I go and look at something like my "Friend Requests," but it says it's restricted due to the content of it- dating. Now, I know it isn't a "dating" site. I've added the site to the list of acceptable sites, no luck. I've adjusted the settings in "Tools", no luck. Ideas, people?

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
The browser is IE, and the o.s. is Works

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe the problem IS between the keyboard and the chair....

(sorry couldn't resist)... :asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The browser is IE, and the o.s. is Works
Works isn't an operating system, it's an application package.

I checked through my system and I don't see any OS level controls (I'm on XP).
Anyone familiar with IE here?

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Works isn't an operating system, it's an application package.

I checked through my system and I don't see any OS level controls (I'm on XP).
Anyone familiar with IE here?

You are right on the os- brain fart, and for the life of me still couldn't think of it until you wrote XP.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It won't be a browser thing, it will be a seperate program that filters internet traffic and restricts content, basically a firewall.

You're probably best just going to the control panel, add / remove programs and getting rid of the parental controls application...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It won't be a browser thing, it will be a seperate program that filters internet traffic and restricts content, basically a firewall.

You're probably best just going to the control panel, add / remove programs and getting rid of the parental controls application...

I agree with Andrew that it is probably a filter application like Net Nanny, Bluecoat K9, or something similar.

In IE there is a content filtering feature. Select Tools->Internet Options then go to the 'Content' tab to see if it is enabled. If it is, disable it or edit the settings to allow you to the stuff you want. It does require a password that you would have to find in the documentation (or through support?).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea shoot the Nanny and get rid of it she was not doing her job anyway. Those parental controls are great of you have kids other wise they are a pain in the ***.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I am not as versed in computerese as those who have given specific responses before me - I agree, it sounds like a filter, not a specific hardware/software issue; that's exactly the type of response I get from the district's nanny software when I try to follow certain links at work.

But I'm glad to know you're not ignoring my friend request! :)

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It's CA- whatever that stands for... I think I will disable it, since 2 of my neices aren't anywhere near old enough to get on the computer, and everyone else is either too far, or over 18 anyways....

I never ignore friend requests, BTW. :D

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It's CA- whatever that stands for... I think I will disable it, since 2 of my neices aren't anywhere near old enough to get on the computer, and everyone else is either too far, or over 18 anyways....

I never ignore friend requests, BTW. :D

Prolly Computer Associates (SurfControl?)