An interesting MA conversation on IMDB.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just posted this link on another thread in response to the question "who in this day would call themselves a samurai." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047478/board/nest/2689122

Reading further I found a MA conversation I think some of you might enjoy reading. I won't comment on it for now. You can find it by just doing a ctr-f and search brett_callinan .

It stands out in my mind simply because on MT I don't usually see such outright insults to Martial Artists.

:asian:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Re: As a modern day Samurai, I have some problems with this film
by - Tristran_of_Stormhold (Thu Aug 14 2003 09:37:48 ) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Haven't you guys seen Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai?

Of course there are modern day samurai.
Re: As a modern day Samurai, I have some problems with this film
by - DanielLemieux (Thu Aug 14 2003 10:24:07 ) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before I start crying, please tell me I am stupid and what you just said was a sarcasm... please ?

That pretty sums up my internal monologue once someone calls themselves a modern day Samurai as well. Not a disrespect of MA, just a lack of respect for fools claiming titles they don't really understand nor merit.

I don't think the discussion linked to Bret is especially disrespectful except to the overzealous boobs that pop up from time to time.

For example, in one vacation bible school class, there was a teacher's assistant probably in high school, and obsessed with Ninjas. (He spent most of his time reading a Time Machine Choose your Own Adventure book about Ninjas) He asked me once,

"Do you think Ninjas are cool?"
"Huh? Oh, no, not really."
Dude gets this intense look on his face and he goes off on a rant about people thinking ninjas could walk on water, but in actuality, tehy were using tiny straw boats etc.
"Uh, neat."

A bit later, he sees someone his age hanging around outside. Still wearing the intense look, he headed out. There was silence for a moment then...

"Haiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" *thud*

He limps back in, self-consciously clutching his bloody shin. (He'd managed to kick the corner of the tuff shed out back somehow.)

Doubt the guy had managed to even study as much as Ashida Kim, but he had the proper intensity that Bret's discussing in his posts. The world gets along just fine without those types.

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to be a modernday slave??? The Samauri though rich in tradtion, honor etc were essentially bound to serve their respective lords and as such were essentially slaves. So I repeat myself, Why would anyone want to be a modern day slave???????????

Sad

Thanks

San

Latest Discussions