An interesting article on the psychological and physiological effect of combat.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if the application to sport is universal. As an example I don't think a football player or the like is often feeling as though they are in a life or death situation BUT there can indeed be fear of varying degrees and it makes sense that the methods of sports psychology would apply to real life hostile encounters.

This Is Your Brain On War

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been trying to tell people about these things for a while. This is a good summary article and I think self defense interested people need to read it. Thanks.

The most important part of the article is this paragraph:

"That’s because, at its most extreme, vasoconstriction affects the brain, too. “As the blood drains from the face, blood drains from the forebrain, and there’s no rational thought,” Grossman explains. 'I call that ‘condition black.’ And at condition black, the midbrain is in charge, and you’ll do what you’ve been trained to do — no more, no less. You will do what you’ve been programmed to do — no more, no less.'"​

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been trying to tell people about these things for a while. This is a good summary article and I think self defense interested people need to read it. Thanks.

The most important part of the article is this paragraph:

"That’s because, at its most extreme, vasoconstriction affects the brain, too. “As the blood drains from the face, blood drains from the forebrain, and there’s no rational thought,” Grossman explains. 'I call that ‘condition black.’ And at condition black, the midbrain is in charge, and you’ll do what you’ve been trained to do — no more, no less. You will do what you’ve been programmed to do — no more, no less.'"​

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

I actually almost tagged you on it because of our prior conversation regarding "robo-droid" ;). That issue is one of the reasons I am a fan of Dan Tian (aka "tactical") breathing. When used under stress it helps to control heart rate and "condition black" really doesn't start until your HR starts rising above 145 bpm (on average).

As an exercise I even practice it while I am out running. I find this helpful because while it is not difficult to do during my mediation, or doing forms, when you first start doing that kind of breathing under serious aerobic stress, it works (I can actually see the HR drop on my HRM) but it is actually painful until you get your diaphragm accustomed to the exertion.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I actually almost tagged you on it because of our prior conversation regarding "robo-droid" ;). That issue is one of the reasons I am a fan of Dan Tian (aka "tactical") breathing. When used under stress it helps to control heart rate and "condition black" really doesn't start until your HR starts rising above 145 bpm (on average).
Yes. I was just reading an article on using this sort of deep, controlled, breathing technique yesterday to control and mitigate vasovagal syncope.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk