An Experience With Mastery

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
So my wife and I are taking ballroom classes. Well, really, I am taking ballroom classes. My wife, who is an accomplished dancer, is coming with me to hold my hand so I don't get scared.

This weekend, we went to a dance gig out at a local grange hall. We were the youngest people in there by 15 years...and that couple was a good 25 years younger than the next youngest people.

I've been practicing martial arts for 25 years now, and I've trained with and under some of the best.

But I'll tell you right now, dancing with a woman who's been doing the foxtrot for 75 years...that's mastery at a level I've rarely seen. Unconscious success, humility and kindness, everything right there in a smiling package that smelt faintly of talcum powder.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So my wife and I are taking ballroom classes. Well, really, I am taking ballroom classes. My wife, who is an accomplished dancer, is coming with me to hold my hand so I don't get scared.

Funny you mention this. I am a photographer by hobby, and I went to the 9th Annual University of Michigan Ballroom Dance Competition in Ann Arbor on Saturday. Those people are athletes - there are no two ways about it.

It was my second visit to this competition. As I watched them perform their dances...well...I saw similarities to martial arts. The movements, the discipline.

Well, anyway. Here are my photos from Saturday night. Hope you enjoy them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/sets/72157613838182964/

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mas Oyama:
All things in the universe have rhythm, either external, like music, or internal, like the atomic structure of a rock. The martial arts are no exception, and the student who has a sense of rhythm will improve in karate much more quickly than one who does not. It would be of great assistance to a karate-ka to become involved in the rhythmic occurrences in everyday life such as music, dance, and so on. This will lead to a UNIFICATION of the mind and body which will serve as the firm foundation for Growth and excellence in any undertaking.

:asian:

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Back in the days, allot of football players use to take dance lessons to be nimble on their feet.

I see no difference then we as MAers doing the same thing.

I bet you had fun once the fear subsided though LOL.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The link between martial arts and dance have been well established. Shoshin Nagamine, the shorin-ryu karate great, was an Okinawan folk dance enthusiast.

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The link between martial arts and dance have been well established. Shoshin Nagamine, the shorin-ryu karate great, was an Okinawan folk dance enthusiast.

No doubt. The histories behind a lot of martial arts have periods where dance helped to disguise martial arts, and keep martial artists from being persecuted.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I'll tell you right now, dancing with a woman who's been doing the foxtrot for 75 years...that's mastery at a level I've rarely seen. Unconscious success, humility and kindness, everything right there in a smiling package that smelt faintly of talcum powder.
Great share, thanks. Never thought about it, but it sounds like an art all it’s own. With fountain of youth qualities.

Latest Discussions