America's First Female Four-Star General!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dunwoody to become first female four-star general

For the first time in American history a woman has been chosen for promotion to four-star general.

The Pentagon announced Monday that President Bush nominated Lt. Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody to head the Army Materiel Command, responsible for equipping, outfitting and arming soldiers throughout the Army.
If confirmed by the Senate, she would be the first woman to attain the rank of a full general.
This would be the first female 4-star general (or admiral) ever, and I think it's a great thing and overdue! Sounds like she comes from quite a military family; another story on her said:

She hails from a family that has served in the Army for five generations, including her great-grandfather, grandfather, father, brother, sister, niece and husband.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for her
icon14.gif

From the article I just read, she must be fed up of a being a trailblazer for women in the armed forces but yet again her promotion kicks through another glass ceiling on rank.

I can't salute her as I'm only a civilian but I can wave my hat with an "Huzzar!".

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is about time! After 20 years in the Navy, I have had the pleasure of serving under a number of really competent women officers that were held back because of gender. Hopefully this is the first of many glass ceilings that need to be broken.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dunwoody becomes first female four-star general

The career of Ann E. Dunwoody ascended Friday from humble beginnings 33 years ago at Fort Sill, Okla., to a peak never before reached by a woman in the U.S. military: four-star general.

At an emotional promotion ceremony, Dunwoody added a fourth star and, looking back on her years in uniform, said it was a credit to the Army that she was given a chance to rise through the ranks in a male-dominated military.
[...]
There are 21 female general officers in the Army — all but four at the one-star rank of brigadier. It was not until 1970 that the Army had its first one-star: Anna Mae Hays, chief of the Army Nurse Corps.