American Beverage Institute vs. MADD: An Example of Advocacy

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The following article was linked onto msn.com, and is interesting not only in itself, and as an example of the adversarial approach. Original article found here.

Essentially, the ABI is an advocacy group for restaurants that serve alcohol, and, as such, opposes Mothers Against Drunk Driving on many fronts. The article specifically discusses the merits of ABI's attempts to convince donors to stop contributing to MADD's lobbying efforts.

There's something specific that I thought worthy of bringing up, which is the article's illustration of the adversarial approach (whether this is intended by the author is up to the reader). Specifically,

Over the years, ABI has fought MADD on nearly every alcohol-related issue, from liquor taxes to sobriety checkpoints. Often, the merits are debatable. But ABI doesn't argue for moderation. Like the National Rifle Association, it opposes any restriction, no matter how reasonable. Consider interlocks, which can prevent a car from starting if its driver's breath, as measured by a sensor, exceeds a proscribed blood-alcohol limit. ABI opposes the use of these devices not just for the general public but even for "first-time DUI offenders." ABI complains that "legislatures are steadily approving legislation aimed at first-time offenders, often drivers who are only one sip above the limit. … This legislation is the first step of anti-alcohol groups toward their long-term goal of universal interlocks."

I would argue that ABI takes an absolutist approach because their opponent, MADD, does the same. I'm personally not a fan of MADD; I think they took a legitimate concern and turned it into a moral crusade. Regardless, both sides end up taking extremist views to oppose one another. Sound familiar?

Well it's not just politics where extreme opposition is encouraged and compromise becomes a liability; the American legal system is built around the assumption of adversarial advocacy. An American attorney is expected to put forth every plausible (and sometime implausible) argument in favor of their client's interests/positions/innocence/etc. The basic notion is that extreme advocacy is necessary to ensure a fair trial where the opposition is doing everything it can to argue the opposite; i.e. if I don't argue it, I'm leaving my client at the other guy's mercy.

I make this long-winded post to point out how built-in this assumption of the necessity of absolute advocacy is to our thinking. And by "our", I mostly mean American but it could extend to general Western thought. The idea that "I must argue absolutely in my favor, and any compromise or moderation will just be giving my opponent an edge" is built into our legal system, our political system, and even our own conduct here in the Study.

By its very nature, I realize this post is kinda open-ended. It could go into a discussion of MADD, or of the adversarial assumption, or both. Regardless, thoughts?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would argue that ABI takes an absolutist approach because their opponent, MADD, does the same. I'm personally not a fan of MADD; I think they took a legitimate concern and turned it into a moral crusade. Regardless, both sides end up taking extremist views to oppose one another. Sound familiar?

MADD is an uncompromising organization that forced out its founding President because she wasn't neo-prohibitionist enough.
MADD is struggling to remain relevant, which it must do to continue to pay its execs high salaries AND continue to receive millions in tax payer funding.
MADD is an unreasonable organization and can only be dealt with on those terms, thus ABI's response.

http://www.drunkard.com/issues/08_02/08_02_fighting_madd.htm
http://activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/o/17-mothers-against-drunk-driving
http://www.atheistactivist.org/Prohibition.html

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting.

At first I though 'meh, whatever' but then as I flipped between forums and subject matters, it seemed to become clearer: just change the names of the major players and see how it fits...(In this case it's the AR groups who seek to put an end to horse drawn carriages in NYC and he world over, absolutely radical and nasty pieces of work to boot)

I did not dig into the ABI's agenda. But I suppose when you are staring down the big guns...

MADD gets their money by basically bullying people, because surely you must not like drunks killing innocent people (I hang up on them when they do their spiel call, 'this is not to solicit donations....' by that time I am busy...even if it is watching paint dry!
AR groups work along the same line: if you don't aline yourself with their cause you must hate animals...work$ like a charm!

OP
R

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MADD is an uncompromising organization that forced out its founding President because she wasn't neo-prohibitionist enough.
MADD is struggling to remain relevant, which it must do to continue to pay its execs high salaries AND continue to receive millions in tax payer funding.
MADD is an unreasonable organization and can only be dealt with on those terms, thus ABI's response.

http://www.drunkard.com/issues/08_02/08_02_fighting_madd.htm
http://activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/o/17-mothers-against-drunk-driving
http://www.atheistactivist.org/Prohibition.html

I read a pamphlet from M.A.D.D. while waiting in a DMV office, it was advocating "premise owner liability". Essentially, it aimed to convey responsibility for underage drinking parties to the owners of the household regardless of whether said owners hosted, approved of, or even knew about the parties. Under the premise owner liability idea, any liability stemming from a houseparty where underage kids drank would be imputed to the owner(s) of the property.

When I read the pamphlet, I saw just how much of a crusade M.A.D.D. really is. They're not concerned about responsible drinking; they want it out of our world completely. The only way a homeowner could avoid the liability above would be to purge their home of alcohol, kids, or both. And, as granfire points out, if you don't support this effort, you must be a friggin drunk. >.>