Alternate name for a twist stance

mhouse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here's an interesting question.

What is the alternate name for a twist stance?

This question was brought up in my monday night class. Apparently our Sensei was looking for a specific answer because all of our guesses were incorrect. Most of us tried "cross stance" but that apparently wasn't it.

It's possible that he's misleading us and there is no specific name, but that doesn't seem to be the type of thing he'd do.

I'd be interested to hear any alternate names you have, no matter what kind of Kenpo/Kempo you study.

I'll be sure to post back to this thread if I ever get an answer out of my Sensei.

Thanks!

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...:lookie: uhhh...entwine, encircle, spiral?

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A stance of transition.

It is my personal belief that the only static stance is neutral bow therfore you will always be moving. And even then a neutral bow can be a stance of transition.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess if you wanted to go REALLY out of the way you could call it a Qilin Bow. It is the name for the crossover stepping used in the tiger/crane form in hung gar. It is supposed to imitate the qilin which is an animal that has the body of a dragon and the feet of a deer (there are other variations of the animal as well).

M

Mark Weiser

Step Thur Stance, Unfirling Stance due to the continous motion you get, Torque Stance

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Shaolin Kempo, we call it the "Snake Stance" or the Twist Stance. I was reading a book on Eagle Claw kung-fu the other day and they had a different name for it, but I cant remember what it was...

OP
mhouse

mhouse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
These are all great responses. Thank you for everyone's input so far. I plan to try some of these tonight.

S

Scout_379

I dont do kenpo, so I don't know what a twist stance is to begin with. But in my style, the only stance where the legs are crossed is called koso dachi.

M

Mark Weiser

From Ed Parker's Book Infinite Insights into KENPO Volume #2 starting on page 82 is the section on Twist Stances.

• Twisted Hors
  • Front
  • Rear
  • aka Cross over

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Parker always said that all stances are derived from the "horse stance," and described the twist as getting its name from a "horse stance that is twisted," and described it as a "Twisted Horse Stance" in his last published "Encyclopedia of Kenpo."

The "ladies T stance" he used in reference to the Japanese interpretation of the "cat" stance, which he said, was borrowed from the way the "ladies of the night" stood to entice customers in the "red light district" of Japan.

"You want date sailor?"

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Mr. Parker always said that all stances are derived from the "horse stance," and described the twist as getting its name from a "horse stance that is twisted," and described it as a "Twisted Horse Stance" in his last published "Encyclopedia of Kenpo."

The "ladies T stance" he used in reference to the Japanese interpretation of the "cat" stance, which he said, was borrowed from the way the "ladies of the night" stood to entice customers in the "red light district" of Japan.

"You want date sailor?"
Well you learn something new every day...
Never been to Japan but I have to wonder...
I'm not a sailor, but no. Thanks anyway...

But in answer to the original post, I have also heard my instructor refer to a twist stance as a dragon stance due to his background in Kung Fu, although I am pretty sure that is not what he, the instructor in question, was looking for it seems to me that DOC is a pretty reliable resource for such information.
Just out of interest, did the person who started this thread ever resolve the question with their instructor? (just curious)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think if it is widely known as a twist stance another name is not necessary.

In TKD, we do leap into a twist, front foot toe facing forward, body facing to the side and coming down at the same time on both feet. The back foot is on the ball, heel up high, placed behind the forward foot on the outside (the twist), and facing to the same side as the body.

Its the same as a cat stance, but a twisted cat and the feet are reversed. The forward foot is not up.

So... reverse cat twisted.

J

JKDooer

The Ladies T-stance is close.

But, it is referred to the 'Female" horse stance.

JKD

K

Karazenpo

What Rob and JK said, 'Lady stance' but it wasn't a 'T' or 'Cat', it was definitely a 'twist' stance. I studied traditonal Northern Wah Lum Kung Fu for a while and that's what they called it. Good one Doc, 'ladies of the night', lol. I was taught also that all stances were derived from the horse. We assume the horse stance and then make all the different subtle adjustments demonstrating the various stances, back, cat, t, forward, twist, kneeling, etc..... all emanting from the horse stance.