Aikijujutsu in Los Angeles

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty of places in L.A. that teach aikido properly but im looking for something more into self defense. I read an article were a policemen had trained in Aikido and used it well but he eventually got in a situation were Aikido couldnt save his life and he began to train in Aikijujutsu

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are plenty of places in L.A. that teach aikido properly but im looking for something more into self defense. I read an article were a policemen had trained in Aikido and used it well but he eventually got in a situation were Aikido couldnt save his life and he began to train in Aikijujutsu

Can't help you with LA, but you're on the right path with Daito Ryu AikiJujutsu versus Aikido. The former is an effective combat system, the later is watered down 'art'......which isn't a denigration of it, as many folks do Aikido for it's many other benefits.......but as a pure form of combat it's very lacking on purpose.

I had the great fortune of having gone to the policy academy in Joplin, Mo. in the mid-1990's, and their defensive tactics program was developed by Aikijutusu practioner John Karriman, who also taught in Joplin. I was, again, fortunate to attend classes at Karriman Sensei's dojo during the several months I attended the academy and, while I didn't have time to even scratch the surface, the principles I learned still carry me well.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it's taught anywhere. It'll be here in LA. Sorry I don't know of a place, tho.

firtamag

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello anybody ever heard of Zujuitsu ? I am in San Antonio ,Texas and would like to train in Aikijujitsu but this is the only school I could find close to it . Would Aikido be good to tyrain in if I cant find a school ?