Aikido Techniques and Practice

T

TheBattousai

Since I don't train in actual "Aikido" (I train in aikijujutsu in case your wondering) I was curious want the primary techniques are (i.e. kotegaeshi) and attacks that you respond to (i.e. doing a tech, from a rear bear hug). Also toss in any info on practice you think would be good for people to know.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
Since I don't train in actual "Aikido" (I train in aikijujutsu in case your wondering) I was curious want the primary techniques are (i.e. kotegaeshi) and attacks that you respond to (i.e. doing a tech, from a rear bear hug). Also toss in any info on practice you think would be good for people to know.

our begginers run through ai hanmi katate tori
Irimi nage
Kote gaeshi
shiho nage
Kaiten nage

tenchi nage

Ikkyo
Nikkyo
Sankyo
Yonkyo

then gyaku hanmi
Kata tori
Mune tori
Mune tsuki
Shomen and Yokomen
Morote tori

then ushiro ryote etc

these are the main areas, also included are (koshi)hip and (kokyu)breath throws, bokken and jo

OP
T

TheBattousai

samurai69 said:
our begginers run through ai hanmi katate tori

then gyaku hanmi
Kata tori
Mune tori
Mune tsuki
Shomen and Yokomen
Morote tori

then ushiro ryote etc

Can you translate the above terms, I have an idea but I would like some reassurance on what they mean. And the princibles Irimi, Tenkon, Atemi, and others, how are they usually taught.

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
Can you translate the above terms, I have an idea but I would like some reassurance on what they mean. And the princibles Irimi, Tenkon, Atemi, and others, how are they usually taught.
ai hanmi = both have same side forward (example both have right side towards each other)
gyaku hanmi = both have different side forward
katate tori = grip from wrist
Kata tori = Grip from shoulder
Shomen and Yokomen = usually in strikes to top of head and Yokomen to side of head
http://www.aikiweb.com/language/attacks_k.html

For others we use different names.

OP
T

TheBattousai

Thanks Korppi76, I knew about the terms kata tori and katate tori, but I wasn't aware of the other terms. What other forms of attack are commonly practiced in Aikido, like Ushiro Jo Tori.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
Since I don't train in actual "Aikido" (I train in aikijujutsu in case your wondering)

That's cool. What type of Aiki Jujutsu you are training? Is it Daito-ryu?

I practice Hakko-ryu, this is an offshot of Daito-ryu, and much of the techniques are the same.

OP
T

TheBattousai

I practice Aikiho Kempo Jujutsu Aikijujutstu, which is part of my Kempo school I train at, in the idea of a toitsu (unified) martial art.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
I practice Aikiho Kempo Jujutsu Aikijujutstu, which is part of my Kempo school I train at, in the idea of a toitsu (unified) martial art.

Ah. I think I heard that style.. Shogen Toitsu Kenpo.. by Prof. William Durbin, am I right?

OP
T

TheBattousai

You are right, jujutsu_indonesia.(Shogei Toitsu Kempo is the main art, in Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei, just to let you know)

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
So Battosai, does Mr. Durbin still make you learn several sub-arts to achieve your next belt rank? I heard that in addition to Kenpo and Jujutsu, you must be well versed also in the Karamijutsu of Master Nimr Hassan's Koga-ryu before you could advance to a certain black belt rank..isn't that lots of materials?

OP
T

TheBattousai

No, only kempo; we don't have to do those things, there just a matter of personal choice. We also don't do nimr's matarial, they just seem simular. We trace back threw Raman Lono Ancho (another Mitose student while on Hawaii) and to Dick Stone (Durbin's first instr.), Karamijutsu or any of the other auxilary arts, are not required for any rank in the main of Kempo; There are just alot of fun to do (in my opinion anyway, hence my Aikijujutsu training).

But to not digress to far from the subject, is it relatively required for most Aikido students to have some katana training or is this a misconseption? Also in the schools that have it, what does the training consist of (i.e. Iaido, Kenjutsu, etc. type)?

Korppi76

Green Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
But to not digress to far from the subject, is it relatively required for most Aikido students to have some katana training or is this a misconseption? Also in the schools that have it, what does the training consist of (i.e. Iaido, Kenjutsu, etc. type)?

I would say it depends about where you train. In Finland it is not nessesary to train with Katana but in many places people train also Iaido, Katori Shinto ryu, Taura Muso ryu or some other weapon art to supplement their aikido training. Also some dojos own aikido's tachi techniques comes from some kenjutsu/kobudo style. It always depends what main instructor or his/her sensei is teaching.

I have tried katana (well iaito) training once (little bit Iaido in one seminar). Usually I just use bokken.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
in our school we train with bokken and jo

i had some private lessons in iado, just so my understanding was better

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my experience, most Aikido schools train in the the sword or a stand-in for it such as the bokken or jo. However, not all do.

OP
T

TheBattousai

Another question I have is what about ukemi (breakfall) practice, how is it normally taught in an Aikido school?

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
Another question I have is what about ukemi (breakfall) practice, how is it normally taught in an Aikido school?

Which part do of ukemi you mean

forward, back, sideways breakfalls.........are all taught from day one

or am i missing the question

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:

Sounds obvious but we find the biggest obstacle to overcome is fear of the ground itself! As kids we fall and roll but not as adults [even for those coming to Aikido from standing-only disciplines. Therefore we teach breakfalls from kneeling positions in a very stepwise manner as most new students appreciate the initial reassurance. It's not always constructive to perform breakfalls and ask the student to mimic - in our experience it's better to break it right down: kneel with best foot forward and weaker foot stretched out behind, push off weaker foot until you feel you're reaching your p.o.b. Make as smooth a curve as possible right up the receiving arm from the leading edge of the little finger thru elbow to shoulder and push off gently.

Very similar for rear and side initially.

Hope that's helpful and not too low level for anyone reading...!

We figure it's worth spending time on this basic exercise because a student who leaves the dojo with rib, kidney, shoulder pain, whatever from incorrect form in breakfalls is less likely to return, and of course, that benefits no one.

OP
T

TheBattousai

Sorry for the lack of clearity samurai69, but I was refering to teaching methods. But thank you MartialIntent for giving me an answer.

I'm also curious to know when it is considered appropriate to wear a hakima in class?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
I'm also curious to know when it is considered appropriate to wear a hakima in class?

That would really depend on the style and teacher. Most schools I've seen start hakama at 3kyu. While others let women start at 6kyu, becasue a gi is mens underwear. Other scholls only have hakama when they reach 1 dan. And again others only a special occaisions (sp?).

But ask the teacher, he should know.

/yari

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At our school....males can wear a hakama at 1st dan, but women can wear them from the start, because like yari says "a gi is mens underwear"

as for ukemi

we start teaching ukemi from a kneeling position and keepin the lead arm semi straight (ori nitae) for forward falls.....for the larger side break falls there are a couiple of drills we practice, but this comes later as ukemi and confidance in general improve.

Latest Discussions