Aggressive And Unwarranted Behaviour.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a question from a recent discovery. It is not my place to name anything, so I will ask the question as a scenario. Please don't state otherwise :)

My somewhat disturbed state of mind is centering on this>

Scenario: A Sifu decides that he would like a night out. Goes on said night out and gets to a point of felling tasty. He would do being a Sifu with a alcohol fueled state of mind. He gets into an altercation and pops off some strikes. No reason than to act like a hard man and feel satisfied that his skills are top notch. Would a student want to train under his guidance knowing that being a master would induce such behaviour in himself. This is just me trying to put my point across, but basically it has put a sour taste in my mouth. I don't train there, but thinking of a supplemental routine, but not sure that I feel the vibes would not be overly aggressive.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't train with such a person.
A person who wants to have a punch up can enter the ring and meet up with other people with similar training and desires.
A person who behaves in the manner you're describing has psychiatric problems, and will hopefully land in jail soon.
I am involved in a lot of physical conflicts in the ER. It never makes me feel like a hard man. It makes me wish people were less foolish, and it makes me wish that talking people down worked more often.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Got a question from a recent discovery. It is not my place to name anything, so I will ask the question as a scenario. Please don't state otherwise :)

Scenario: A Sifu decides that he would like a night out. Goes on said night out and gets to a point of felling tasty. He would do being a Sifu with a alcohol fueled state of mind. He gets into an altercation and pops off some strikes. No reason than to act like a hard man and feel satisfied that his skills are top notch. Would a student want to train under his guidance knowing that being a master would induce such behaviour in himself. This is just me trying to put my point across, but basically it has put a sour taste in my mouth. I don't train there, but thinking of a supplemental routine, but not sure that I feel the vibes would not be overly aggressive.

I personally wouldnt train under someone who has less self discipline/self control than i do.

That kind of behavior is sheer narcissism.
He completely intended on just harming untrained or innocent bystanders to feel good about his training.

If someone wants to fight, its insanely easy to find people who will spar full contact in a controlled enviroment.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He's an idgit. (idiot) Never train with idgits.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't train with such a person.
A person who wants to have a punch up can enter the ring and meet up with other people with similar training and desires.
A person who behaves in the manner you're describing has psychiatric problems, and will hopefully land in jail soon.
I am involved in a lot of physical conflicts in the ER. It never makes me feel like a hard man. It makes me wish people were less foolish, and it makes me wish that talking people down worked more often.

Thanks DD. That makes a lot of sense. In my experience, no one was that stupid so I had a lot success with defusing situations. Completely different scenario to you, but I get you're point with the latter.In a way you have pretty much nailed it for me. Thanks :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends on the guy. I have known a couple of instructors who are a bit looser on their night outs than in class.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Is this about me?

senseidave2005

White Belt
Reaction score
I trained with a gentle man for many years who would indulge himself in bad behavior, it reflected badly and followed him for many years costing him his friends family and ultimately his students.. I was one of the last to walk away and this was only due to my refusal to believe that this person I looked up to could do such a thing... It is neither good energy nor good business. I don't let students act in such a manner so why would I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it was a one time occurrence I would question in my own mind why this happened. If it seemed to become an on going theme then no I do not think I would want to train with him.
Now if the man was an alcoholic or a constant drunk but did not get in fights but kept his drinking at home maybe depending on how he acted in class and the knowledge he could give his students. (yes I knew such a person but never studied with him because of distance)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You mentioned his being alcohol-fuelled. I think it depends on how pissed he was.. if he was out of it then you can only say that he like too much booze (and then maybe that is his fault as sifu if you choose to judge him for it) otherwise if he is out of his tree then what are you saying of him? Tell me who can exercise perfect judgement when they are like that? You know what his life circumstances are that he is drinking? I do not wish to sound harsh. I do not wish you to sound harsh with him is all Jx

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mentioned his being alcohol-fuelled. I think it depends on how pissed he was.. if he was out of it then you can only say that he like too much booze (and then maybe that is his fault as sifu if you choose to judge him for it) otherwise if he is out of his tree then what are you saying of him? Tell me who can exercise perfect judgement when they are like that? You know what his life circumstances are that he is drinking? I do not wish to sound harsh. I do not wish you to sound harsh with him is all Jx

No quite right. In this case the situation is not just clear cut drunk issue. The aggression was against peple known to each other. Getting drunk and slappsies happen, but usually between people equally matched. In this case some serious damage could have been done by a highly skilled practinior, who should not have lost control and gone on the hunt.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No quite right. In this case the situation is not just clear cut drunk issue. The aggression was against peple known to each other. Getting drunk and slappsies happen, but usually between people equally matched. In this case some serious damage could have been done by a highly skilled practinior, who should not have lost control and gone on the hunt.
I agree with you.. as a MA professional this can suggest he is not aware of his drinking limits.. so maybe he is not aware of his other limits either? -or even if he IS aware of his limits then he has gone beyond them and implication is that he is irresponsible.. neither of these two demonstrate good MA judgement off of the mats This make sense I understand your position.. I would only ask that you do not judge him and because we do not always know what is the situation in a persons life that cause them to take a drink too many.. after that it is the drink acting through them :) wishes Jxx

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you.. as a MA professional this can suggest he is not aware of his drinking limits.. so maybe he is not aware of his other limits either? -or even if he IS aware of his limits then he has gone beyond them and implication is that he is irresponsible.. neither of these two demonstrate good MA judgement off of the mats This make sense I understand your position.. I would only ask that you do not judge him and because we do not always know what is the situation in a persons life that cause them to take a drink too many.. after that it is the drink acting through them :) wishes Jxx

Yeah I am no angel and no stranger to a situation. But not like that. This was purely looking for it. There is a historical element too. But still you are right. However it has to be kept within certain rules. A practinior of whatever discipline knows this!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah I am no angel and no stranger to a situation. But not like that. This was purely looking for it. There is a historical element too. But still you are right. However it has to be kept within certain rules. A practinior of whatever discipline knows this!
Agreed.. and you have wise heart to see the thing objectively also :) Jxx

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps there was/is a problem between the two participants that has been going for some time and the fact that he had been drinking more than he should have was only one of many circumstances in the event.
If his drinking is constant than he needs help.
Dose his drinking affect his teaching? Dose he teach drunk? As I said before was this a one time incident? Who started the Incident?
Way to many questions to be answered before deciding if I would study from this person.

Latest Discussions