Age/goals question

Calhoun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm 46, problably will be Black Belt around 49 (if I stay regular and really feel I deserve one). I really am not worried about belt color.
My questions is complex.
1. Anyone here in 40 yrs or older just starting (or re-starting)?
2. Whatcha gonna do just gettin a Black Belt at 49 yrs old?
3. DO you agree it doesn't really matter, as long as this keeps you fit, in shape and able to defend yourself no matter how old you are?

(I'm new to the boards here, to! haha . I do Tae Kwon Do (combat) and Hapkido)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Edit: Sorry about the double post - I was having problems quoting where I wanted to - see below.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calhoun said:
I'm 46, problably will be Black Belt around 49 (if I stay regular and really feel I deserve one). I really am not worried about belt color.
My questions is complex.
I'm not - but I have students who are. I have a student right now who is 44, and just earned his green belt (6th gup) in TKD - and he's headed for black belt at the rate he's going, probably by the time he's 47. I also have a student who started 38 as a returning student (he tested for I Dan and failed by missing his breaks, dropped out for 17 years, and started over as a white belt) - he's aiming at his II Dan in about a year; he's 45 now. I know others as well, including several who started TKD in their 50s or older, who earned I Dan and continue to work out - including one lady in her 70s. I don't see a problem as long as you know what you're getting into, what you want, and have an instructor who understands that you can't perform like a 20 year-old.

Calhoun said:

What are you going to do? Keep working out, of course!

Calhoun said:
3. DO you agree it doesn't really matter, as long as this keeps you fit, in shape and able to defend yourself no matter how old you are?

Yes, I do agree. If it works for you, then who cares about the rest of it? Work out, enjoy, learn, and teach - so that others can do the same!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calhoun said:

Good question. The most direct answer is this: once you achieve black belt status, that's where the next stage of learning begins, since you're now achieved a good proficiency with the fundamentals of the system.

Some folks would say that "the real learning begins" there.

Age is irrelevant, up to a certain point. If you take care of your body, train well, and stay sharp, then I see no reason why someone can't keep doing this for a long time. I know of many 50 year old folks who can still pack a mean punch, and knock some sense into the younger folks (should the need arise).

Of course, you do have to be realistic about what you're going to do, and that someone who is 50 years old isn't going to heal quite as quickly as the younger person will.

Welcome aboard! That's a nice blend of fighting styles, covering both the hard and soft. Keep at it.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
No matter your age, the black belt is but a portal you pass trough on the path.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, by the way!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned setting goals. No matter what age you begin training (or doing anything, really) if you don't have a goal to aim at, you'll quickly give up. If black belt is what you're shootin' for, great! I'd also suggest setting smaller goals to keep you motivated, too. Perfecting forms, or a certain combination while sparring, or something.

It sounds like you've got this idea already. Keep goin', I'm sure you're doin' great!

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not want to post her official age, with the fear of retaliation, but I tested for my 4th with a 50+ grandmother. She was promoted to 2nd degree. She has become a great teacher and an inspiration to all!

Her goals have always been to learn and to overcome her fears.

I think it is great that you are training at your age (which, by the way, is not that old :)).

Keep on Kick'n!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In this day and age, 46 is not that old as people are doing amazing things far past that age!I have trained an 82 year old and he actually still got in the ring and sparred!No one wanted to hit him but if you didn't, he hit YOU!When at tournaments, the entire crowd would stand for an ovation as he finished his katas!Carefully plan out realistic goals and then have fun achieving them!I think a large part of being a blackbelt is demonstrating the perseverence of never quitting.Please let us know how your training progresses!

OP
C

Calhoun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
stickarts said:
.Please let us know how your training progresses!

Thanks to all replies, And yes I will keep in touch with training progress.
As a matter of fact last night I got surprised to lead the strecthing part in class, after we did 200 jumping jacks, short running(straight, in, out 2 & 2 etc) we do stretching, 4 sets of push-ups (25ea), 4 sets crunches (25ea) different crunches. I stood facing the class w/ couple of black belts in the class, still wondering why I was there! haha
Last night was sparring, I can see where I really need to be faster, more obsevant of others body movements, and of course my breathing control.
Tonight is 6-7 Hapkido 7-8:15 TKD,
I am really getting into perfecting my 2 forms, I am getting close to test for Purple in TKD, but I will not test until I feel better inthe forms!
Thanks for reading this long post!
I'm at work on break and getting paid while I'm posting! har har
Gary Calhoun

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calhoun said:
I'm 46, probably will be Black Belt around 49 (if I stay regular and really feel I deserve one). I really am not worried about belt color.
My questions is complex.
I started in MA at 42 and, at 44, switched styles.

Calhoun said:
Yes on two levels, as aforementioned
Calhoun said:
Start teaching for my instructor. Work on my 2nd black

Calhoun said:
Of course I agree with that; but, I could do all that with Taebo or calisthenics. I do MA for a wider and deeper reason.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Calhoun said:
Thanks to all replies, And yes I will keep in touch with training progress.
As a matter of fact last night I got surprised to lead the strecthing part in class, after we did 200 jumping jacks, short running(straight, in, out 2 & 2 etc) we do stretching, 4 sets of push-ups (25ea), 4 sets crunches (25ea) different crunches. I stood facing the class w/ couple of black belts in the class, still wondering why I was there! haha
Last night was sparring, I can see where I really need to be faster, more obsevant of others body movements, and of course my breathing control.
Tonight is 6-7 Hapkido 7-8:15 TKD,
I am really getting into perfecting my 2 forms, I am getting close to test for Purple in TKD, but I will not test until I feel better inthe forms!
Thanks for reading this long post!
I'm at work on break and getting paid while I'm posting! har har
Gary Calhoun
The fact that they are letting you lead already is a good sign!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Calhoun said:
My questions is complex.

I started TKD at 46, got my 1st dan at 50, 2nd dan at 53. Most of the noon group (and some in evening) are 45+ men and women. I guess I'm the oldest at 56 since the 70ish guy stopped due to his back. I conducted a medium bag workout the other day, mostly 20-40 age group guys and they thought I was killing them (I did the workout as well and to the beat.)

We have a 3rd dan in TKD and 2nd in Gojo Ryu who is 48 that is just awesome. Also, the master 6th dan, can still do a flying sidekick to your head level with very little run. But we all have our talents and our weaknesses. Its always one joint or another that is hurting. I do it to keep active. It gives me motive to try to get better and keep fit no matter what shape my knees are in. But I have to be realistic too. And yes, I will defend myself and my loved ones to the best of my ability and that is all that matters. 50's these days are alot younger then our parents days because we care about fitness and health. Life is there to live, so just do it. TW

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My boyfriend didn't start till he was in his fourties. He is now 52, and pushing to test for 2nd dan in April. I have been training longer, but he is so much more athletic than I am that he past me and I'm 31!

Age don't mean nothing. These days, like stickarts mentioned, people in their 40-ish years, are like yesterdays 30's. People do amazing things these days. People look younger, feel younger, ect. So go for it!

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't concern yourself with the color of a belt. What's important is what you get out of your training- that's true for youngsters as well as older students.

And believe me, you're a far cry from "old!" :) I'm not sure that I can even remember back when I was your age!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Not quite. A few years shy.

Same thing I do now. Go in to work running my mouth off about how much I love my training...to whomever it is that will listen.

Yep. Age is just a barometer of how much Tiger Balm you need :)

OP
C

Calhoun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't have computer acces very often.So, I thought I'd get back on this tread..I am now Purple belt in TKD, still yellow in Hapido, and must say I'm feeling alot better ih shape and learning alot, there is alot to remember and i love it!
Also, going to a seminar of grandmaster Henry Poo Yee in August!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Calhoun said:
My questions is complex.

In our school, Mr. Phillips started training at 66 years old. Eleven years later, he is a black belt, solid as a rock and hits like a ton of bricks.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Started when I was 36, trained til I was 43. I'm now 55 and just started training again back in March. I'm slower, heavier but I'm smarter. Sensei gives me the option to spar the young men if I want. Sometimes I love it, other times I decline depending on the way the body feels that day. My goal, stay with it, work at my pace. Maybe test for Nidan some day. I'm not competeing with any one but my self.

Latest Discussions