Adrenaline Stress Training

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I did a forum search on "adrenaline stress" and came up with a few older threads on the subject. Most hadn't had a response in about 18 months, so I figured I'd start a new one....

Who out there particpates in, offers, or has taken an adrenaline stress class? Do you find it useful in your training? My teacher (and me too) is a big believer in it. I will shortly be inheriting the suit and taking the beatings instead of him. Any thoughts?

Frank

*BTW, my wife says she will be first in line the day I don the suit. Go figure!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with an adrenaline stress class. Will you explain it for me please?

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it's when you train using a realistic scenario that is designed to imitate the real thing as much as possible. So that you get an adrenaline rush similar to what would happen in a real situation. It's designed to help you get over the freeze up that most people do when faced with a real attacker and teaches you to use you're techniques even with the rush of adrenaline.

OP
Henderson

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
I'm unfamiliar with an adrenaline stress class. Will you explain it for me please?
Sure. In a nutshell adrenaline stress training looks to overcome the adrenaline dump people experience in violent situations. Well, maybe not overcome, more like push through, and survive the encounter. Some of the effects of arenaline induced stress are tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, loss of fine motor skills, etc. There are 3 focuses in these courses (A, B, C) Awareness, Boundary setting, Confrontation (combat).

Students are subjected to situations that will more realistically reflect what they may encounter in real life. Yelling, profanity, personal verbal attacks, etc...all to achieve that dump of arenaline. This is what is commonly refered to as "woofing". It's amazing how many highly skilled martial artists cannot adequately defend themselves under stress. This woofing is performed by the Bulletman (in our case). Bulletman is a protective suit and helmet. It has withstood a full force kick by a professional soccer player. It makes it even more realistic when the 'victim' can strike back without reservation.

This level of class is for adults only for obvious reasons. We do have a children's version. It is more based around an Anti-Bully / Anti-Abduction theme.

Respects,

Frank

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow - Thanks for explaining. Personally I think it sounds awesome and like something that would definitely be a benefit in training. I can understand the *freeze* factor and tunnel vision etc. that would occur in stressful situations. Being exposed to situations like that, in a controlled enviroment, can desensitive you to the effects of the adrenaline dump and enable you to act in a given situation. Very cool.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've taken adrenaline stress training several times. Yes, I found it very useful, and I encourage you to take it.

Connovar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I give it a big two thumbs up. IMO its the best module based self defense training. I did it at RMCAT. I will go back again in the year or two to refresh. Personally I would like to see more schools incorporate it. They can do their regular martial arts for fitness and attribute development. Then add a FAST program and you have a complete program. You will have self defense, fitness and something for us MA enthusiasts who like MA for a hobby.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though we don't call it Adrenaline Stress Training, we have used that as part of our department's defensive tactics training for quite some time. Using a FIST suit, we allow officers to use various types of unarmed and intermediate weapon responses to subject aggression. Hitting a back with a Monodnock baton in a static manner is one thing, having a moving, attacking aggressor is far different, and allows the officer to deal with a situation where the subject doesn't immediately respond.

Question? Do you also continue the simulated conflict if it ends up on the ground? We find it very useful to carry it through to ground fighting.

OP
Henderson

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Question? Do you also continue the simulated conflict if it ends up on the ground? We find it very useful to carry it through to ground fighting.
In the program we offer, there are 3 levels. 1. Stand-up 2. Ground 3. Weapons (armed assailant). So, to answer your question...yes. Actually, there are levels beyond #3 dealing with multiple assailants. We need to obtain a 2nd suit before we venture there though.

Frank

Latest Discussions