Additional style

• Thread starter the_kicking_fiend
  • Start date
T

the_kicking_fiend

I'm currently in the situation where I'm lucky to have the choice of about a dozen different martial arts in my city to which I am considering. I only want one really because of time but I'm nto sure what art best compliments TKD. I'm foremost an exponent of tae kwon do but I am interested in other styles.

I know it's obviously a big desicion for me but does anyone have any thoughts what MA styles combine or compliment tae kwon do nicely? Maybe a style that fills the gaps TKD misses?

d

OP
C

chaosomega

Originally posted by the_kicking_fiend
I'm currently in the situation where I'm lucky to have the choice of about a dozen different martial arts in my city to which I am considering. I only want one really because of time but I'm nto sure what art best compliments TKD. I'm foremost an exponent of tae kwon do but I am interested in other styles.

I know it's obviously a big desicion for me but does anyone have any thoughts what MA styles combine or compliment tae kwon do nicely? Maybe a style that fills the gaps TKD misses?

d

I can't resist... Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!! Or if you don't like grappling, try boxing and work on your punches, since taekwondo seems to specialize in kicking. Or better yet, do kickboxing (regular or muay thai) so you don't have to worry about combining your boxing and TKD skills (they are two different games... as a boxer you duck and weave to avoid punches, which is a good target for knees, kicks and elbows).

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if you have the choice of a weapons based system like FMA, then you can add that range to you knowledge base.

You can also try some form of grappling to add both standing and ground grappling to your knowledge base.

Boxing is always good also.

Many options. Do you have a list of your choices?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My advice to you is to go to each studio and watch a class or two. This way you won't be out anything, you'll get to see the instructor/classes in session to see what my suit your needs.:asian:

OP
T

the_kicking_fiend

I would like some close quarter fighting, empty hand kinda thing and grappling but weapons are fascinating too. The list of options to me:

Aikido
A Mixed MA called Carisma (Kickboxing, Jiu jitsu, Muay Thai, Aikido)
Jiu Jitsu
Karate
Combat Sombo & Submission
Kali
Savate Kickboxing
French Cane
Empty Hand/Close Quarters (whatever that's supposed to mean)
Doce Pares Eskrima
Shotokan Karate
Muay Thai
Wing Tsun
Ninjitsu

So a big selection!

d

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Certainly as a Hapkido practitioner I would recommend Hapkido. For myself I would stress one of the styles which follow a Mu-Do approach so that you can get the weapons work you are looking for. I would also second the suggestion of taking up Boxing. This is not so much to become particularly proficient in it. In this way you might find some conflicts in slipping between two arts which are in a way mutually exclusive tactically. However, you might find some good things to help you pursue TKD as S-D in that Boxing would fill-in where TKD does not give strong emphasis to the use of hands. Also, though I don't have much experience with it, Muay Thai would seem to be a good choice for its contact training. I took Kyukushin many years ago and even after a goodly number of years training in Shudokan the experience was a real eye opener and a goal-changing experience. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing TKD for 13 years and have trained in several other arts but the one that complimented TKD and I landed up taking seriously was Muay Thai. Other than the other weapons they train extensively (knees and elbows) there is boxing at most North American Muay Thai academys and then my favorite: stand up grappling and throws. I train both now and they work well together.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

Mudo Warrior

I think that it is not a question of what art compliments Tae Kwon Do but rather a question of what art would best compliment you, your fighting style and you needs. For example, 10 years ago I would have picked an art that would have best helped me become a better tournament fighter, however, today my emphasis is geared more toward self-defense or being a better street fighter. It is now and always will be me opinion also that you want a dojang that teaches a structured and more traditionally geared martial art. I know that alot of people will disagree with me but Traditional arts are effective on the street and they teach you good philosophies as well. In the last few years I added okinawan Karate and Judo training, and both helped me become better prepared for a street confrontation. It is just my opinion but I think you need to figure out what it is your needs are and go from their.

Respectfully

OP
D

Disco

Since Hapkido was not listed on your availabilty list, that's not an option. From what your list does have I would suggest Shotokan, as it is the forerunner for several Korean arts. At least take a look at it. If that does not fit your preference, my next offering would be JuJitsu. A lot depends on what you are looking for. From your posting that you are TKD - WTF, I would assume that your background is more competition based, otherwise you would not necessarily be looking to augment. The two styles that I suggested are primarily SD orientated, but a lot depends on the school and the Instructor. Good luck with your search. Please keep us updated on your final choice.:asian:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aikido
A Mixed MA called Carisma (Kickboxing, Jiu jitsu, Muay Thai, Aikido)
Jiu Jitsu
Karate
Combat Sombo & Submission
Kali
Savate Kickboxing
French Cane
Empty Hand/Close Quarters (whatever that's supposed to mean)
Doce Pares Eskrima
Shotokan Karate
Muay Thai
Wing Tsun
Ninjitsu

You have some good options there.

Were I you, I'd take the FMA (Doce Pares, Kali) and French Cane for weapons work. The FMA stuff will teach knife work, which is always good. I don't know anything about the French Cane, but I've heard some good things.

I'd do the Sombo for ground. I'd suggest the jujitsu, too, but I don't know if its Brazilian or not...if so, it'd also be good for ground work.

In picking one similar system over another, I'd pick the instructor that I felt was the best for me. If you have a personality clash with the teacher, it doesn't really matter how good the system is.

The Shotokan and karate are great ways to get some more insights into TKD.

The Wing Tsun would be an interesting blend with TKD for close in trapping and punching work. The Muay Thai has great kicks, knees, elbows that will augment your TKD. The clinch work done in Muay Thai is awesome...and sets up a lot of throws. Savate's kicking would compliment the stuff you have from TKD.

I tell my TKD students that they have to take a certain number of hours of FMA and grappling if they want to get a black belt in TKD. This way they won't be totally clueless when it comes to weapon work and ground fighting. Along with that, alot of them take Jun Fan, Muay Thai, kung fu, T'ai Chi...its all good stuff.

You have a lot of choices. That's a good problem to have.

Regards,

Steve

OP
T

the_kicking_fiend

Thanks for all your advise there, still unsure but I'm kind of choosing between Wing Tsun, Jujitsu and FMA at the moment. I don't want to do Savate or Muay Thai because they seem like basically a form of kickboxing and Tae Kwon Do is quite similar. My kicks are fine, it's my hands I want to improve. Actually another addition to the list i forgot is Wu Shu Kwan. I always thought this was a show-off kinda art but recently people have been saying it's got some hard stuff in it too?

d

OP
M

MountainSage

There's a TKD BB in my school that's off a college and studying Wing Tsun. He gets home on break and during the summer. He has shown me many techniques that improve hand skills and mesh very well with TKD.

Mountainsage

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a grappling art would fit well with TKD. I should know, my instructor makes us do grappling, throws, ect. I think it works well together. I'd say check out the jujitsu school.

OP
T

the_kicking_fiend

Just to let you know, I've started up some Wu Shu Kwan lessons for now and see how that goes. The forms are really elegant and there is weapons in it as well some familiar things form TKD. The most noteable difference is the sidekick. It's like their trying to do a backkick without spinning, i.e. using the heel. I find it puts on a strain on the knee joint of the supporting leg and probably will do the usual footsword anyway.

I also I am considering private tuition in bojitsu at the moment but the cost is a lot for a student!

d

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Good choice of arts you have there Fiend. I was in your shoes a few years back, pretty much looking to compliment my TKD. It really depends on what range you would like to improve on. I'm a very strong believer in footwork and movement, and i strive to perfect it first and foremost. Honestly, alot of arts don't blend well because of the footwork involved. If your goal is to improve the use of your hands, my recommndation would be either Savate or Muay Thai among the list. There's enough similarities between them to prevent a conflict of interest with your current TKD training.

THuNdeR_FoOT:asian: