Add Killing Into Bio?

Adding a kill into a personal bio?

• I find nothing wrong with doing this.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • This should not be done.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • It should be done as a fact of history only.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On many forums for the past few years I have observed that many are inserting the killing of another human being into someone's personal bio. This is being done to validate a persons martial skills.
What are your views on this parctice?
Note-It is usually done buy a student/black belt who is writting a forum type bio about their direct Instructor or someone who is in their direct lineage.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bit silly really. I find the obsession with lethality in martial arts to be one of its more ridiculous aspects. Any fool can kill a man, a kick to the skull when someones down will do that. So why not focus on something that requires real skill? Or more importantly, focus on whats fun about martial arts.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think that is anything to be bragging about. Taking a life is not something to celebrate (whether the person is right or wrong). IMO, putting that in a bio is probably a good sign of a mental illness. ;)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On many forums for the past few years I have observed that many are inserting the killing of another human being into someone's personal bio. This is being done to validate a persons martial skills.

Are people doing it with their own bios, or with someone else's? Can you give examples.

I think anyone that would put that in their own bio areeither crazy, lying or both. Just the legal problems you could face with that being brought up as part of your history.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wise words were once spoken...
The taking of a life... does no one honor...

I would boycott efforts to do this on ANY forum I belong to...

In addition, I'd find it a sad commentary on the person posting it in their bio... and would (in all likelyhood) boycott them as well...

Just my .02 on the matter...

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Not unless it's strictly and only because the "War story" Is told in its historical context to illustrate a specific technique and how it is supposed to work.(i.e. This is what happened to me, here's how I did it, here's how terrible it felt, or it was done in days gone by and these were the workings of it..." kind of things)

Saying in the " About the Author" section that you pulled out your mad skillz and stacked bodies to the clouds just makes you at best a lying knobjockey, and at worst a murdering headcase.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems to me that it takes more skill to incapacitate an attacker without causing any permanent damage than it does to just kill them....

Either way, bragging about it is pretty screwed up.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems to me that it takes more skill to incapacitate an attacker without causing any permanent damage than it does to just kill them....

You folks are absolutely correct. In the thread I started a few days ago about being attacked in my front yard it eventually got suggested to buy a gun.

I responded with the aspect that I was a combat vet from the USMC. IMO, I find a true warrior does all possible not to terminate a life.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
You folks are absolutely correct. In the thread I started a few days ago about being attacked in my front yard it eventually got suggested to buy a gun.

I responded with the aspect that I was a combat vet from the USMC. IMO, I find a true warrior does all possible not to terminate a life.

You know, that reminds me of one of Gandalf's quotes from the LOTR book series responding to someone's statement that someone deserved to die, I'm paraphrasing but it went somewhat like this:

"Many that live deserve death. And many die that deserve life. Can you give it back to them? Then be not so quick to ask for death."

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a very private matter, not something to shout at thousands of strangers. And even if one were so inclined it would be a ****ing stupid thing to do. You're announcing your violent nature to the world and some putative future prosecutor. Bad. Stupid. Rude.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I agree completely. The taking of a life should only be done in extremity, and it is not something one should be proud of; therefore, it should not be advertised, either.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Our own arm services keep counts on your kills,air force does everytime some one shoots down a plane. They use it as a measurement tools (WARS). A friend here in KONA has 3 kills as a sniper in Panana...but said it was a war...his duty.

For the martial artist today? ....this is NOT a good idea ...to brag about your kills....humans are not animals to be counted....(my last count at age 5 to present 4,587 chickens consume, estimate.)

Learning to kill is a part of our art.....fighting is about survival. IN todays' world it is NOT consider a good deed.

Adding this to your BIO? NOT recomended. Best to keep it to yourself.

One of our chief instructors when he was younger fought in kick boxing,one of his matches he kick the other person in the head and the person die a few hours later at the hospital. It was an accidental death. People talk about it...but he does NOT want to be reminded about it.

We all have ONE life...use it well...take good care of it...wash it daily...rinse after ever wash....towel dry OK. (never needs Ironing).

Kills: 0...Wins:0 ...Losses:0 ....Be humble and kind....Zero's in your life? ...means NO problems and NO troubles....ZERO! ...Aloha

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it depends on motive, or reasoning behind letting someone know that you have killed or injured greatly another.

But if we are talking about a personal bio, especially one that is intended to boost ones credentials, I think that detailing kills or violent encounters is wrong.

The reason is simple. We try to better ourselves as martial artists because we want to be better combatants, as well as better people. By saying "I've been in this many fights" or "I have killed before..." as a means to define credability, then what you are essentially saying to those who are also trying to better themselves is that getting into fights or killing makes you more credible. Those who do this are in a sense condoning and promoting violence, because others who look up to such individuals will seek the same experiences so that they can gain similar credibility.

If you are a true warrior, and you choose to take a profession that involves killing another; or if you are a privite citizen and are forced to hurt or kill another in defense, your motives should not be to gain credibility either before or after the fact. If you are willing to hurt someone else for credibility, even as an added 'perk,' then you are morally corrupt, a poor role model, and not much better then street scum or terrorists.

It is O.K. to divulge information about a violent past if there is a lesson or a altruistic benefit involved. But to divulge such information for the sole sake of marketing or resume building is morally currupt and not the measures of a true warrior.

Such people who do those things need to re-evaluate their angle in the combatives world, because such moral corruption one does not belong.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Note-It is usually done buy a student/black belt who is writting a forum type bio about their direct Instructor or someone who is in their direct lineage.

I would vote that whomever thinks that bragging that there instructor killed a person is a rather insecure and disturbed person in need of some serious councilling. The fact that they idolize and respect a person based on that person having killed is on about the same page as thinking a rapper is only a good rapper if he has been shot, or shot someone else.

OP
LawDog

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Members of these forums young martial artists there are.
Portrayed it should be, the protector of life a martial artist is.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not unless it's strictly and only because the "War story"

I rode with some bad cats back in the day that worked for elite military units and many of them were hesitant to talk about killing...

Latest Discussions