A Uniquely Emasculating Experience

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
My one-year-old car needs a new engine because I didn't keep up with oil changes.

On Thursday my son noticed a knocking sound that increased with the RPMs -- kind of like a playing card on a bicycle spoke. The car was really slow starting out in first. I was already scheduled for my two-months past due oil change today. Somehow, I deluded myself into believing that it was something minor. "Maybe it's the clutch," I told myself.

The sad part: My son, who has been driving less than a year, has been reminding me since July that I was supposed to go in for the oil change. He even offered to take the car in for me, but I kept putting it off. Since he and I are sharing the vehicle, while my wife uses our old mini wagon, we've put a lot more mileage on it than our previous cars.

I should have known.

Here's the rundown... I presented my problem to the man at the service counter a Hyundai today. I sat down in the waiting room. Ten minutes later, the service manager summoned me: "Mr Nore, leave your car and go home." The cost: $3000 to $4000 Canadian, and I can't count on the warranty to help me because I was neglectful of the service schedule.

The guy was explaining all this to me in front of about ten other guys who were picking up or dropping off their cars. It was very quiet, everyone with their heads bowed. I'm sure it looked like one those TV programs where they show videos of guys getting hit in the groin. You know how guys double-up when they see another guy get hit there? It was just like that.

I went home, made a big credit card, payment so I would be sure to have enough for a rental... for several days. My wife has taken the news quite well. My son seems to understand the unique feeling stupidity that I'm experiencing.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A car that new should not have blown a motor with simply an overdue oil change. I've known severl folks have a car for 5 or 6 years and never do an oil change with out blowing that motor. I'd say that you shouldn't beat yourself up too much because it sounds like there was a little more than just the old oil going on with the vehicle. I'm not a certified mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I'm what we call around here a shade tree mechanic...literally. I swapped out the rear end in my Cherokee under a big ol' shade tree in my back yard a month or two ago.:)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Jeff, an overdue oil change shouldn't have cooked your motor, unless it was way, way low on oil, but then your idiot light should have come on. I know a few people who have gone as far as 10,000 miles on the same oil (not that I would endorse that) without a major breakdown.

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, guys,

The part I forgot to mention was that the oil light did finally come on the day before I brought it in, so I topped it up immediately. But that's no big thing -- when I was about seventeen, I had a used '74 Pontiac Astra (Canadian equivalent of the Chevy Vega). The oil light came on most every day, so I topped it up as I drove. In fact, towards the end of that car's life, I carried a case of oil and a spout in the trunk.

(More significantly, the car's engine warning light never came on.)

I'm going to talk to them after the mechanic has opened it up, and get them to inspect the indicator, check for leaks, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have a parking space for this car -- my wife uses the driveway; the garage is full of junk; I park on the street -- so I wouldn't necessarily notice a leak.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man that just sucks! No other way to put it, I hope it works out for you and doesn't cost you a fortune.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But that's no big thing -- when I was about seventeen, I had a used '74 Pontiac Astra (Canadian equivalent of the Chevy Vega). The oil light came on most every day, so I topped it up as I drove. In fact, towards the end of that car's life, I carried a case of oil and a spout in the trunk.
I think most of us have had a vehicle like that at one point in our lives: tank of gas, quart (or two) of oil... :lol:

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with a few of the posts, the engine should not have blown on an overdue oil change. One thing that comes to mind, is it possible that the filter clogged and did not allow the proper amount of flow through the system? That could be something that may not be caught by idiot lights. There is enough oil in the system, but it wasn't getting to where it needed to be.

Just a thought ...

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think most of us have had a vehicle like that at one point in our lives: tank of gas, quart (or two) of oil... :lol:

Automotive writers referred to the Astra/Vega as the car "that rusted on the showroom floor." They were around in the seventies. Period. I don't think I saw one that was still on the road in the eighties. We used to say, "Fill up the oil... and check the gas while you're at it."

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
As most everyone has said, this smells pretty fishy. Like Letch, in my younger days I was a decent backyard mechanic (my father-in-law was a pro, so always had backup :D) and I just can't imagine a scenario where going a month or two over the recommended date on an oil change would burn out a one year old engine--unless it was a manufacturing problem. A car that new wouldn't have had time to develop leaky gaskets, etc. And having the idiot light come on a day or two before, No, no leak should have been that fast. Think I'd want my own mechanic to check it out for a second opinion. But that's a big hassle, so I've also had to just bite the bullet in some of these life FUBAR's. Anyway, my condolences, and best wishes in all this.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score

Cripes, I STILL own one like that. I just have other options as well, as opposed to back when.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cripes, I STILL own one like that. I just have other options as well, as opposed to back when.
As do we. We don't drive the Prelude without at least a couple gallons of water, some antifreeze and oil. Gas lasts longer than the oil.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A small rant, similar thoughts to previous posts:

If all the Motor Oil and Oil Filter companies spend tens of millions of advertising dollars annually telling us guys how chemically superior their oil fluids are - or how brilliantly engineered their oil filters are, then please tell me why those same companies still say their products still have to be changed once every three thousand miles just like the crappy stuff we were using back in the 1970's?

Rant off/

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A small rant, similar thoughts to previous posts:

If all the Motor Oil and Oil Filter companies spend tens of millions of advertising dollars annually telling us guys how chemically superior their oil fluids are - or how brilliantly engineered their oil filters are, then please tell me why those same companies still say their products still have to be changed once every three thousand miles just like the crappy stuff we were using back in the 1970's?

Rant off/

I don't know... but I will say that when I bought my new Toyota last spring (to replace my 12 year-old Nissan), they are now recommending oil changes every 5000 miles - or, if you go with a more expensive, completely synthetic blend, every either 7000 or 8000 miles; I can't remember which.

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Upon further reflection it occurs to me that the car was in their hands for maybe five minutes, which means that their assessment is based on starting and running the vehicle, not actually looking at anything.

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm not in the hole. The warranty will cover everything, so I'm getting a new engine for the cost of an oil change.

Whew.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is good to hear, Gordon. For once a warranty worth the price of the paper it's written on :D.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm glad I got to the top post on this page before replying.

If this car was purchased new, and you didn't add any oil during the time you owned it, and what you describe happened, and the dealer would seek a warranty replacement of the engine ...

You should immediately call the manufacturer and ask to speak with the Zone Service Director.

We buy new cars because we want an engine that is warrantied. In Hyundai's case, it is a 100,000 mile / 10 year warranty in the States, if I am not mistaken.

I do all my oil changes on 5,000 mile intervals. And, so should you. But, a new vehicle is a new vehicle. And new engines should not seize.

Latest Discussions