A Time Magazine Photo Essay: 1st Amendment

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Long And Sometimes Painful History Of The First Amendment
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2021168_2192756,00.html
Interesting photo essay showing several examples where arrests for inflammatory protests, marches or statements were overturned because of a court ruling on the first amendment.

This important addition to our bill of rights has repeatedly been hashed and rehashed again and again by those wishing to espouse their beliefs out in the open irregardless of whom-ever it may offend.

We've discussed it time and again here on MT and I think it bears repeating because even here we are monitored to be careful about what we say and HOW we say it. Not that I mind because by and large we seem to have a respect for each other's boundaries... and those are watched by a great moderator/mentor crew.

A lot of the issues shown in the photos I recall and some I don't. Either way they still show we all, as a society, have a long way to go.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice, thank you.

I love this quote,

“…Phelps says that he carries out protests at the funerals of slain soldiers in order to call attention to what he says is America's "heathen society.””

Kind of ironic he has to be barbarian to make a statement about people being heathens.

Pot meet Kettle, kettle, meet pot.

Latest Discussions