A simple, easy and very important drill

Mr. E

Blue Belt
Reaction score

The above clip shows an drill to help introduce people to the dynamics of operating under the stress of adrenaline. It is very basic and can be done by just about anyone with the only equipment being a soft club, fake knife, space and supervision.

It is the beggining step. It can be taped and commented on afterwards. That is indeed the best thing to do IMO.

There are other related clips if you look to the right as well as clips posted by the same person. There is some very valuable drills and information in these and I think that everyone can benefit from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good video, and they keep it simple. When the adrenaline hits, people get tunnel vision, and the simpler the attack, the better.

I may incorporate some of those drills in some of the self-defense teachings. If anything, I now have a use for all of those foam pool noodles that were cut into smaller pieces during tameshi-giri!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Great videos! Everyone NEEDS to get practice in REAL WORLD OF WOOFING!

Many of us when NOT use to WOOFING at us...we then get into that fear mode and tunnel vision.

Practicing woofing will get you use to that sitution and when you actully learn what to do and say....your confidense and sense of reacting will be better!

The more you can train in the adrenline fear mode....the more you will be able to train your mind to react more effectivly.

FAST- has great training DRILLS................Aloha

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Great video! A poll that I read somewhere (will do my darndest to link) stated that 83% of martial artists felt confident that they could defend themselves but weren't sure if they could when 'thrown' into a situation. My first thought upon reading that....har? I thought we as martial artists trained so as not to be 'thrown' into any situation. Granted you can't always predict what might happen on a day to day basis, but at some point common sense should kick in....

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent video, as a first step into adrenal-dump training. The whole idea of guiding and directing adrenaline overflow into precise counterattack has been stressed (so to speak) by professional streetfighters like Peyton Quinn, Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine. There seems to be agreement amongst that crowd, all very advanced TMAists whose daily bread for many years, as bouncers, club doormen and close personal security providers, came from preparedness for really nasty combat, that management of the adrenal response is the single most important key to survival in a street encounter—and it's one that most TMAists don't train in!

The one problem I can see is that in a lot of cases, you won't have the comfort of that object in your hand, the weapon, that tells you that you can indeed maintain physical distance between yourself and the assailant. The next step in the training, I'd think, would be to get you to do the same sort of thing with your empty-hand skills against an empty-handed attacker. My guess is, that would ramp the adrenal shock level up a full step or two...

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Excellent video, as a first step into adrenal-dump training. The whole idea of guiding and directing adrenaline overflow into precise counterattack has been stressed (so to speak) by professional streetfighters like Peyton Quinn, Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine.

Professional street fighters? do they draw a salary?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent video, as a first step into adrenal-dump training. The whole idea of guiding and directing adrenaline overflow into precise counterattack has been stressed (so to speak) by professional streetfighters like Peyton Quinn, Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine.

Professional street fighters? do they draw a salary?

Yes. They drew salaries. Hence, professional.

Geoff Thompson, eight years as doorman and bouncer in Coventry. Peter Consterdine, a decade as club doorman in Manchester. Peyton Quinn, nearly a decade as bar security in Washington state. They weren't working for free. They all have websites; the information is available there, as well as in the biographical sketches in their books, and for the first two, at the British Combat Association website, where these two are senior instructors. Thompson was involved in something like 300 physical conflicts in his capacity as club security personel, and the others have comparable experience.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good stuff....I'd like to try it with some of the LEO's I train just to see how many would attempet to draw their weapon...

bmcgonag

White Belt
Reaction score
Be careful with those LEOs, I train many as well, and am an ex-LEO, and I've learned that even when training, if you pull a surprise on them that get's their Adrenaline going too high, you gonna get jacked up hard!

Looks like a good training for LEO's, security, etc.

Brian