A short reflection on 7 Dec 41

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow is of course 7 Dec 16. For some of you it is probably already 7 Dec 16. For those of us in the USA, 7 Dec 41 was a "Day of Infamy." The USA was the victim of a surprise attack on 7 Dec 41, that damaged or destroyed a great deal of the military sea power we thought of as nearly invincible. There were a lot of lessons we learned, and carried forward after WWII. For a while.

Just want to remind USA members of MT, that we in the US commemorate 7 Dec 41, or should. I think most don't even think of it any more unless it is mentioned on the news, or in a forum. We lost a lot of our precious citizens combating the evil in the world. We should never forget their sacrifices. Try to remember to pause for even a few moments in silent commemoration of their sacrifice, survivors and those who didn't. Also those who continue that tradition of service to their country to this day.

And I don't mean to disregard other countries who were our allies in WWII. They sacrificed too. Some much, even before we entered the war. But 7 Dec 41, is our day to reflect, if we remember.

EDIT: Amongst other things to learn is to be sure words in the title are spelled correctly.:eek:

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winston Churchill's speech to Congress. December 1941

"Anyone who did not understand the size and solidarity of the foundations of the United States might easily have expected to find an excited, disturbed, self-centred atmosphere, with all minds focused upon the novel, startling, and painful episodes of sudden war.

But here in Washington in these memorable days I have found an Olympian fortitude which, far from being based upon complacency, is the proof of a sure and well-grounded confidence in the outcome.

Now that we are together; now that we are linked in a righteous comradeship of arms; now, our steady light will glow and brighten.

Twice in a single generation, the catastrophe of world war has fallen upon us, twice in our lifetime has the long arm of fate reached across the ocean to bring the United States into the forefront of battle itself. If we had kept together after the last war, then this renewal of the curse need never have fallen upon us.

Do we not owe it to ourselves, to our children, and to mankind to make sure that these catastrophes do not engulf us for the third time?

It is not given for us to peer into the mysteries of the future. Still, I avow my hope and faith, sure and inviolate, that in the days to come the British and American peoples will for their own safety and for the good of all walk together in majesty, in justice, and in peace."