A safety plan when you're homeless ...

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello all! It's been quite a while since I've posted on MT. Life has been very good to me over the last several months and I've been enjoying a hiatus from the warm blue glow of the monitor. But lately I've come up against an interesting conundrum at work and I knew this was the place to come for guidance ...

I work at a mental health clinic, and I have a client who's in a very unsafe situation. She's homeless, and of a minority status that makes her an easy target for hate crime. She has a ten-day hiatus at a residential facility, during which time a team of people (including myself) are boogie-ing hard to try to place her in an apartment or residential program somewhere. But gears grind slowly, which means that there's a good chance she'll be on the street again in a week or so.

So ... while it's a terrible band-aid for her dilemma, I'm thinking about putting together some kind of safety plan she could keep in mind when she's on the street and in immediate danger. Perhaps a written list of 24-hour public spaces, techniques to stay aware of her surroundings, and phone numbers she could call for backup (friends, police, what have you.)

I feel like it's a very backhanded thing to offer her when she needs so much more, but it's better to have something like this than not. Has anyone else encountered a situation like this with someone they know? What did you offer them?

Thanks in advance ...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the fact is, if noone else is around shes an easy mark. Nothing will change that other than her being around other people. Even then theres a risk of harassment late at night. Awareness might be helpful, but if she goes to run that could trigger more trouble than it avoids. I dont know where in the world you are, but you might be able to improvise a bit. If there are any stores open 24/7, setting up within view of one of its security cameras could be useful. It might be a bit harsh, but if she is assaulted at least youd have it on video. That may or may not be legal where you are.

IMO, a safety plan would be trying to be in safe places around people and preferably on someones CCTV. Second to that, have a place to run like hell to if stuff goes awry. I cant really think of anything else you can do. Its not a particularly good situation, and unfortunately short of being given accomodation, shell still be a female minority whos homeless. Even in a safe location, some folks wouldnt care. But you might be able to filter through the most dangerous elements and minimize the risks as best you can. I could tell you some shock/horror stories about homeless people being assaulted in their sleep, but itd only serve to make the point that her safety is a thing thats coming. If she goes back out, she wont be safe no matter what you do. She can be saf*er* though.

Apologies if im a bit repetitive. Im in a hurry and just wanted to get it all into text quickly. Thats just my take on the issue.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite honestly, most of the long term homeless have safety plans. You may not recognize it as such, but they need it to survive. I obviously don't know much about your client's situation -- but I would suspect that she has a lot of insight already into what will work to keep her safe, and what won't/can't. Phone numbers, for example, are great -- as long as you have reliable access to a working phone. Hanging out in places with CCTV sounds good -- until you realize that a lot of those places have camera coverage because they don't want people around, and will send the police or security staff to move them along. A list of shelters is useful -- if there's room, and if the client will actually use them. (I've dealt with several homeless people who would rather stay on the streets than use a shelter; they don't feel safe, fear their property will be stolen, don't want to deal with the shelter's rules, don't want to deal with others in the shelters, a few have just caused so much trouble that they aren't allowed back... they've got a lot of reasons, but a shelter isn't an option for them.)

I'd suggest you sit down with your client, and develop a plan together. Talk through situations, and figure out possible responses or resources for help. You may also want to contact some of the shelters and other organizations that already provide aid to the homeless and see what they might already have done, rather than reinvent the wheel.

OP
Flea

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks to you both. I work with a lot of homeless folk, and I know they generally do have their own safety measures in play already. I'm sure she does too, but I think it might be reassuring to her to revisit the question. Or it might send her back off the deep end ... one has to tread carefully in such places.

Resources for shelter itself in this town are so hard to come by that a lot of people don't even try. Waiting lists for therapeutic settings are several months, and even then you have to have the right confluence of health insurance benefits. Section 8 holds a random lottery once every two years. And JKS, you're absolutely right about shelters. Most of the people I work with have been banned because of their symptoms. And the one shelter in my city is so evangelical in its culture that it turns a lot of people off before they even walk in the door. High demand recently prompted them to create a wait-list of their own, which right now stands at 41 people.

On a more positive note, a homeless advocacy group inspired by the local Occupy movement is working with a very receptive city hall to develop spaces for two-person trailers and yurts, but that's probably also a couple years away. This is a very caring community with lots of social services run by government and private agencies, and I'm proud to be here. The official stated goal of the program I work for is simply to hook her up with enough resources that she doesn't feel she has to rush immediately back to the hospital. I plan to introduce her to enough non-housing resources to help her feel safe enough (?) for that. There are plenty of places and programs that would at least keep her off the streets during the day. A big problem is helping her feel safe enough even to walk out the door to get to them, and that's why I've been contemplating her street-safety plan. It's a tough situation all around.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
A difficult situation for her and for you as well. JKS9199 and Cyriacus both gave some very good insight to the problem and possible solutions. I hope you or some of the other staff are able to find another place for her to stay that will be safe. That would be the best solution.

Anyway, I see problems. What will you teach her, that offers 100% chance of safety? What are your State's laws on offering anything but what your job offers? My concern is that if she is on her own, and something bad happens, will she then blame you? If she blames you, will she complain to your supervisors, or talk to a lawyer for money from you and your agency?

Obviously you care about your clients and trying to help them. That is good. I applaud you for wanting to take the extra effort. But if in fact your honest good intent puts you in a situation where you are no longer able to help others that you are trained, capable, and desirous of helping; what have you gained, or lost? Suppose you try to give her good advice, something happens, and for one of many reasons that are not possible to think of ahead of time, your advice is no help. Will she then trust you or anyone else in your agency?

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but just want to make sure your good intentions don't mask good sense or legal questions, and cause you problems you didn't contemplate.

If you can be sure your attempts to help won't backfire on her or you, then there may be organizations that can provide her with a charged phone that may at least allow 911 calls. Cell phones since at least the mid 90s can make 911 calls without a plan. I know some rape prevention/counseling organizations used to collect used phones just for that purpose.

Do talk to about situation awareness. Staying in the most public places she can is good. Staying in the most lighted areas she can is good. Even if she can't stay close to a business, if she is within earshot and can scream loud, she may find it easier to get help if needed.

Personal hygene is not only good in general, but good if she seeks help, so as not to turn people off before they can decide to help. Can you guide her to safe places to eat, such as shelters that feed walk-ins? Is there a way for her to stay in touch with you so she can discuss problems, or you can advise her of any places you have found to help her?

You didn't mention trying to help her with self defense. I agree you should not. Talk to her about anything you can think of to avoid situations, or seek public help if she gets in something. That should be her focus, not fighting.

Hope the above helps a little. But do remember you must protect yourself first, so you can continue to help others. And good luck!

Latest Discussions