A question of belt etiquette

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A question recently came up in our training group about belt etiquette as it relates to black belts...

someone said that you shouldn't replace the belt that your instructor gives you at black...

What is traditional in that? Is it done? Is it taboo?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial artists say alot of things. I believe that covers it.

What they said. Seriously- I've seen one set of people not change their BB's, and another change them when the belts get worn out. At my school, you change yours with each dan test you pass...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A question recently came up in our training group about belt etiquette as it relates to black belts...

someone said that you shouldn't replace the belt that your instructor gives you at black...

What is traditional in that? Is it done? Is it taboo?

I think it varies by art and instructor. I would be perfectly happy to wear a plain black belt (and still have one) but my instructor has given me a new belt at each dan testing, so that's the one I wear.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, my take on it was it doesnt matter, and thats what my instructor said too... but we are also not very traditional in my group, and we often don't even wear our belts or Gi's, so I thought Id ask to see what tradition dictated.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll have to ask about that. I think in Sam Pai Kenpo, it was a tradition for our group, though I'm not sure I'd say it was *ettiquette* per se ... could have been just hot air from the person I trained with at the time (still not sure what keeps him down).

Nor do I know about my current style.

I can tell you what I did, tho. I keep the embroidered one I was given and wear it to tests and such, but I bought an additional plain black belt to train in. I hope to preserve the original belt in this manner.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I still wear my black belt that I got when I was 1st Dan and I just got my 6th Dan.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Every school and art is different. I've been in schools where they acted like it was a crime if the belt touched the floor. While we, in contrast, hardly ever bother to suit up at all.
icon7.gif

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have two. One my instructor gave me at shodan, and one I bought for myself when I passed my godan test. I alternate between them, when I bother to wear a belt.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a few. I wore the one that my instructor gave me when I was originally promoted to shodan for almost 5 years. I purchased a Tokaido belt this last trip to Iraq and thats the one that I wear for training. My original belt has been placed in storage (I've...ahem...grown...since recieving it) to wait until my son earns it (several years down the road).

I also have my belt from the ATA that I wear at their functions and another cheap belt with rank stripes that I wear when I train with my instructor in Tennessee (that school wears stripes, the rest are optional, so I don't).

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our BBs keep their belts and have new stripes sewn on when they advance. That said, our BBs don't wear them very often. We all know who they are.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's just a piece of cloth. Doesn't tell me anything about myself I don't already know (good or bad). The belt, as the gi, is for my students--to keep them dreaming and to have something to shoot for. So I wear whatever will best help them.

One thing's for sure. I can't start believing my own press, and think the belt would mean anything (wrap me in special protection) in any real self defense situation. The attacker(s) aren't going to see my belt, and doubt they would care anyway--other than to scoff.

In a seminar or mixed art setting, I just wear a plain black belt. Better to take the least prestigious seat at the table and be asked to move up, than to think more highly of myself than others might.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Several of my instructors have replaced their belts while others seem to think of it as "the last belt you will ever wear." People seem to regard the belt in a lot of different ways, but it is not a big deal at our club as long as it is worn properly. Put it on over anything but a gi and the instructor will tear your head off :mad:

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Replace it when needed

I wore the one given to me for awhile, several years actualy, but before it was worn to badly I replaced it and hung it up. It does hold some sentimental value.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think that there's any kind of a universal standard on this, or even a "Norm". The biggest thing, ask your instructor!
When in Rome.....etc.

If he/she doesn't want you to 'replace' it...then don't.
I highly recomend owning more than one, but that's me.

Your Brother
John

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My observation has been that in many, not all, of the newer commercial schools they tend to wear the newer belt. Various commercial school owners have told me that they want to present to the "public at large" a professional image.
This includes,
*a clean school,
*Instructors with clean ironed uniforms,
*belts that are in good shape, properly tied & clean.

Many, not all, of the older traditional schools, both commercial and non commercial, prefer to wear their belts untill they fall apart.
During formal events they will sometimes wear their "pretty" belts.

It is personal choice.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
In talking about Belt etiquette....Do you kneel down to put on your belt? Does this vary by style of art or does it vary by school?
I have always knelt down placed the belt folded before me bowed (forehead to floor) said a prayer put my belt on then stood up....
What are others doing?

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In talking about Belt etiquette....Do you kneel down to put on your belt? Does this vary by style of art or does it vary by school?
I have always knelt down placed the belt folded before me bowed (forehead to floor) said a prayer put my belt on then stood up....
What are others doing?

I just grab it off the rack and put it on. :p

Latest Discussions