A proud parent!!!

L

Laevolus

I bacame a very proud parent recently when my 7 yr old daughter started training in martial arts, namely at the local Tae Kwon Do club, with two of her friends.

I sat in for the first couple of sessions and will be soon leaving her to it, but I can't begin to express the pride I felt in watching her take her first few steps into a bigger world :D

My only hope now is that she enjoys it enough to keep on with it, rather then give up withing a few weeks or months, although given that she joined with 2 friends, I guess at least one of them will drop out soon enough.

If she keeps it up though, maybe it will inspre her younger sister (3 years) and brother (6 weeks :D ) in the future as well.

Excuse me whilst I beam with pride!:boing1: :boing1: :boing1:

Anyone else been through this moment as well? I suspect probably quite a few of you. Any tips for the future?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't have any kids of my own... but from what I know about them.... good luck is all I can think of.
I think as long as she isn't pushed to continue and if the classes are F-U-N she may stick it out. Seeing Daddy (and does Mommy MA?) do MA may keep her interested.
By the time she gets to dating age if she sticks it out at least you can sleep at night when she's out on a date... heh:D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Laevolus
Excuse me whilst I beam with pride!:boing1: :boing1: :boing1:

Anyone else been through this moment as well? I suspect probably quite a few of you. Any tips for the future?

No kids of my own, but congradulations!!
Tips=stay in better shape, kids enjoy practicing on their parents!!

7sm:D

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats!! I started at age 13 and can't wait now to start training my son........he is only 19 months old at present....but still, it will be fun to maybe follow in his Mommy's footsteps.

I'd say take a lot of pictures and video if you can- they are priceless in the future!!

:asian: :karate:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May your daughter have a long and enjoyable stay in the world of martial arts.
Yes, children like to practice with/on their parents. Have fun with it and encorage her all the time.

OP
L

Laevolus

Thanks for the tips guys.

Watching Kathryn train has inspired to finally get back to my own training after a hiatus due to my good lady having our third child.

Last thing I need is her getting better then me, she might beat me up when I tell her to tidy her room :D

Went back to training tonight.....ouch I forgot how much I ache afterwards, but damn, it's good to be back! LOL

I think seeing me going training regularly will help Kathryn keep up with hers as well though, which can only be good, positive role model and all that.