A NOVEL idea...!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey everyone....
just a trivial bit of a question here:
I'm really into reading novels/stories...etc.
Do you know of any Good novels based on the martial arts, where the main character is a martial artist and the arts play a big role in the story????
THAT is what I'm looking for.

(BTW: I know and have read most of Eric VanLustbaders books, as well as James Clavel's)

Your Brother
John

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you read the John Rain novels?

Rain Fall, Hard Rain, Rain Storm, all by Barry Eisler.

In some ways a similar character to Lustbader's Jonathan Hemlock character from the Eiger Sanction.

Great books, very "real life" martial arts.

John Donahue has written two books, Sensei and Deshi, I read Sensei and didn't particularly care for it.

Lamont

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not sure who wrote them, but the "Destroyer" series seems to be based on MA. The books generated the movie "Remo Williams", which was very funny. You might look for them. Sorry, I am not much help in this area.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Hey everyone....
just a trivial bit of a question here:
I'm really into reading novels/stories...etc.
Do you know of any Good novels based on the martial arts, where the main character is a martial artist and the arts play a big role in the story????
THAT is what I'm looking for.

(BTW: I know and have read most of Eric VanLustbaders books, as well as James Clavel's)

Your Brother
John

Some of my favorites - aside from those already mentioned:

The Kundalini Equation by Steven Barnes

Street Lethal (and the rest of the Aubrey Knight series) by Barnes

Saturn's Race by Barnes & Larry Niven

The Netforce series by Steve Perry (created by Tom Clancy but Perry has written, co-written, or ghost written the majority of them as far as I can tell) has some good MA in them with several of the primary characters training in one form of MA or another.

The 97th Step by Steve Perry - part of the "Matador Series" which is an awesome series but this book really hits on some MA stuff even though the MA used in the series is fictional it's still good stuff.

Mike

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
:partyon:

I didnt know they wrote MA novels! I mean, it seems obvious now, but I didnt ever think about it. I'm to go read all of these authors now.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pesilat said:
Some of my favorites - aside from those already mentioned:

The Kundalini Equation by Steven Barnes

Street Lethal (and the rest of the Aubrey Knight series) by Barnes

Saturn's Race by Barnes & Larry Niven

The Netforce series by Steve Perry (created by Tom Clancy but Perry has written, co-written, or ghost written the majority of them as far as I can tell) has some good MA in them with several of the primary characters training in one form of MA or another.

The 97th Step by Steve Perry - part of the "Matador Series" which is an awesome series but this book really hits on some MA stuff even though the MA used in the series is fictional it's still good stuff.

Mike
That is because you are prejuduced about Silat Mike. Netforce is a great series that is probably good for anyone who is a compu-martial artist, and you can appreciate it whatever your discipline. They really take on a life of their own if you have seen Guru Casto doing Harimau Silat. He rocks!

I love the entire Man Who Never Missed series (aka Matador series), and I particularly like Black Steel. I have to issue a warning here and say that they are probably at least PG-17, and some of the books "R" due to explicit (not just strong) sexual content and the amount of violence related to the sexual conduct (rape of a child). The violence alone would be "R" if seen on the screen, but since it is a book, I do not worry as much. We do have some younger members that it probably would not be appropriate for ... at least not if your parents read them first or afterwards.

You gotta love the man who wrote Men in Black, some Star Wars books, and Alien v. Preditor, for those who never heard of this author.

-Michael

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
That is because you are prejuduced about Silat Mike. Netforce is a great series that is probably good for anyone who is a compu-martial artist, and you can appreciate it whatever your discipline. They really take on a life of their own if you have seen Guru Casto doing Harimau Silat. He rocks!

I love the entire Man Who Never Missed series (aka Matador series), and I particularly like Black Steel. I have to issue a warning here and say that they are probably at least PG-17, and some of the books "R" due to explicit (not just strong) sexual content and the amount of violence related to the sexual conduct (rape of a child). The violence alone would be "R" if seen on the screen, but since it is a book, I do not worry as much. We do have some younger members that it probably would not be appropriate for ... at least not if your parents read them first or afterwards.

You gotta love the man who wrote Men in Black, some Star Wars books, and Alien v. Preditor, for those who never heard of this author.

-Michael

LOL :) Yes, the Silat prejudice does tie in - especially since both Barnes and Perry train in Silat. Though the Matador stuff was written prior to Perry's involvement in Silat. He said on a discussion group once that the 97 Steps was his vision of the ultimate martial art but he thought he'd made it up - until he started training in Silat and then he realised that a lot of what he loved about his fantasy MA was part and parcel of the Silat he trains in.

Also, there was a series out many, many moons ago called "Kiai!" by Piers Anthony. The protagonist in it was a Judoka. It's out of print and hard to find. I stumbled across one of them years ago in a used bookstore. It was an enjoyable read.

Another good one by Piers Anthony is "Battle Cirlce" - which is actually a trilogy put into one volume. Top notch.

Mike