A little help needed

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I would go to report an internet crime? I recieived what appears to be a chain letter on my family email account, but it is basically saying that someone hired this guy to kill me and if I want to live and to get information on who hired him I should contact the guy and pay him $5K. I won't disregard any threat on my life or the life of my family, but I thing it's a scam, but it has to be reported. The local police want me to stop in and file a report, which I will do, but I think it has to go farther. Any ideas?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I would go to report an internet crime? I recieived what appears to be a chain letter on my family email account, but it is basically saying that someone hired this guy to kill me and if I want to live and to get information on who hired him I should contact the guy and pay him $5K. I won't disregard any threat on my life or the life of my family, but I thing it's a scam, but it has to be reported. The local police want me to stop in and file a report, which I will do, but I think it has to go farther. Any ideas?

The first step is filing the report, so I'd do that asap. If you can print off all of the info. that was sent in the email, be sure to take it all with you. If you can't print things off, then someone will have to come out to your house.

How far it will go? Well, that depends on the officer, and how far they dig into it. In any case, as I said, starting the process begins with the initial report. :)

Mike

OP
morph4me

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to take care of that on the way home tonight, already have it printed to take with me.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first step is filing the report, so I'd do that asap. If you can print off all of the info. that was sent in the email, be sure to take it all with you. If you can't print things off, then someone will have to come out to your house.

How far it will go? Well, that depends on the officer, and how far they dig into it. In any case, as I said, starting the process begins with the initial report. :)

Mike

I agree with all this. Also, start running the email back through it's route, reporting to the ISP that hosted the mail would be a good start.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I received a similar scam email this morning. I hope you did not click the link supplied. If so make sure you run a anti virus check.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Morph all though it will most likely lead to nothing, one must take this serious, so go though the proper channel and file all the necesarry paperwork and trace the IP and report it back to the hosting company.

OP
morph4me

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I received a similar scam email this morning. I hope you did not click the link supplied. If so make sure you run a anti virus check.

I didn't click the link, I was a little annoyed at the threat and am reporting it to my local PD and the FBI internet crime unit, since this isn't one of the usual I've got 50 billion dollars and I want you, a total stranger, to help me get it out of my country scams.

Morph all though it will most likely lead to nothing, one must take this serious, so go though the proper channel and file all the necesarry paperwork and trace the IP and report it back to the hosting company.

How do I trace the IP? This is one of those things that reminds me of how much I hate to be threatened, it doesn't scare me, it pisses me off:angry:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's almost certainly a scam, aimed at either obtaining your personal info (ID theft), getting money from you, or infecting your computer with some sort of virus.

You can file a police report. Don't be shocked if your local cops aren't too interested; there are just very limited resources in most local agencies to investigate this sort of offense. You can also report it to the fed's Internet Crime Center.

The FBI has a information page on this particular threat at http://www.fbi.gov/page2/jan07/threat_scam011507.htm

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't click the link, I was a little annoyed at the threat and am reporting it to my local PD and the FBI internet crime unit, since this isn't one of the usual I've got 50 billion dollars and I want you, a total stranger, to help me get it out of my country scams.

How do I trace the IP? This is one of those things that reminds me of how much I hate to be threatened, it doesn't scare me, it pisses me off:angry:
http://www.johnru.com/active-whois/trace-email.html

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just resist the urge to "give it back" (launch a counterattack). Email headers can be forged, and email can be sent from some compromised machine (Aunt Telly's rig in California that is now pwned).

Like in NFL, its the guy who "returns the favour" that gets into trouble!

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Proxy servers can be used too if I understand it correcty, making it very difficult if not impossible to corrrectly track these things. I'd bet the FBI can though!

It is reassuring that Brian got one too, so its not just you. I am very sorry to hear of this sort thing happening to you both.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What you want to get, if possible, is the headers off the email. That is what will allow the email to be tracked. That's more important than the body for that purpose. They should look something like this (from an eBay spoof email):

XReceived: from imta10.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net ([76.96.30.14])
by alnrmxc21.comcast.net (alnrmxc21) with ESMTP
id <20080415175603a2100jiio1e>; Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:56:03 +0000
X-Originating-IP: [76.96.30.14]
Received: from mgrp.manara.local ([86.108.14.182])
by IMTA10.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net with comcast
id DttK1Z01R3vgk2W0A00B00; Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:56:03 +0000
X-Authority-Analysis: v=1.0 c=1 a=pwIP7ZobAAAA:8 a=jyfJkPXyAAAA:8
a=pjdaNNIBAAAA:8 a=Vm3ApmRCj9LwYNCOZrEA:9 a=XEZt3tHDOggd1BR0RAYA:7
a=pIl1v7AcmgJMT4rcS1DDL880VTkA:4 a=B6U5Ctkm1_kA:10
Received: from User ([168.187.6.35]) by mgrp.manara.local with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:53:35 +0200
Subject: Your account has been blocked
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:51:48 +0300
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="Windows-1251"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
Bcc:
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 15 Apr 2008 05:53:35.0953 (UTC) FILETIME=[0B880410:01C89EBD]

If you can't see those headers, let us know what email software you're using and I (or someone else here) can help you get them exposed or viewable so you can print them as well.

jim