A Little Back Yard Test Cutting!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey I was in the back yard today doing some weekly cutting so I thought I would share. I like all of these blades and they all cut very well whether it is bottles, tatami mats or chicken. My favorite for cutting though would have to be the Force Recon Ginunting while the Talibong and the KaliGear Ginunting have simply a great feel to them. Plus cutting with these blades saves wear and tear on my antique Filipino blades! Enjoy the clip!

[yt]vUijVxTukBE&feature=channel[/yt]

For more of our videos go to our YouTube channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/IRTBrian

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have too much fun sometimes ;)

Have you done any blade training with the kids?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Carol this is the censored video clip! (just kidding :rofl:) No they need to be a bit older but eventually that will happen when they are mature enough.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Of course you realize that Chinese Martial arts guys would be using their HANDS...and hitting the TREES :EG: :mst: :D

That was pretty cool, made me want to take my Dao and go out in the back yard.

Thanks Brian

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol this is the censored video clip! (just kidding :rofl:) No they need to be a bit older but eventually that will happen when they are mature enough.

LMAO!!! OK I need a weeeeee bit more coffee in me :lfao:

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course you realize that Chinese Martial arts guys would be using their HANDS...and hitting the TREES :EG: :mst: :D

Thanks Brian

Hey Xue as my wife sits here watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon I can see what you mean.
icon6.gif
Did I mention that Michelle Yeoh is in this movie!
icon12.gif

Seriously I had a good time as I always do. You need to get out and cut with your Dao. (getting back to nature and all plus you can hit a tree at the same time
icon14.gif
)

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey Xue as my wife sits here watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon I can see what you mean.
icon6.gif
Did I mention that Michelle Yeoh is in this movie!
icon12.gif

Seriously I had a good time as I always do. You need to get out and cut with your Dao. (getting back to nature and all plus you can hit a tree at the same time
icon14.gif
)

Yes and we can fly and walk on bamboo too..... like Michelle Yeoh and ummm others that were in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon did... aaaaa was there anyone else in that movie besides Michelle Yeoh :D

I am considering doing some cutting with the Dao, but it is not sharp....it could be... but I'm not that brave. Dull it has cut a copper pipe and put divots in concrete.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thanks Brian

Xue,

I know I am a wimp, as I use pruning tools and clippers and a small chain saw or a laerge chain saw to attack my trees. Something about those physics courses I took and have leverage and multiplication of the tool to help me. ;)

But I respect those who do it the old way. :D

Thanks

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian,

I thought I read at the end that not a bottle or a person was hurt.

To me it looked like some bottles were hurt. ;)

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of that time I bought a cheap katana when I was 16 years old to practice cutting... My technique sucked and the steel really was cheap. The good and in retrospect quite hilarious part was that the blade didn't break when i tried to chop a much too thick branch... It bent. I remember my frustration when I gave it my best only to discover I got stuck with a blade that could hit around corners :).

I think I still have it somewhere in some damp shed, rusting away, to give the enemies of mankind tetanos around the corners where they lurk, stalking innocent prey :).

Nice video. I always enjoy watching people that actually know how to handle their (melee)weapons.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I released the Test Cutting With The Filipino Blades video clip the other day I immediately got a call from a friend. He said, “Brian why didn’t you show the point that is what you do so well.” So I went out the next day and shot several point shots and then mix and mashed it into this clip. Enjoy!

[yt]ejkxllcTWy4&feature=channel[/yt]

As you can tell I had a good time! :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Sweet" it is! Nice work, Brian.

The bottles, now ... can you specify the type of plastic bottles you used or perhaps give the brand of water or other drink that was originally packaged in that plastic? Some bottles have a much more brittle element to them and other water bottles are so soft you can almost barely pick them up, it seems. Comparing them to, say, a Gatorade bottle would be helpful, I think.

Thanks!

:)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Again...being CMA I would have used my finger tips and trees but that was ok too :D

Very cool Brian, thanks.

Xue,

I know I am a wimp, as I use pruning tools and clippers and a small chain saw or a laerge chain saw to attack my trees. Something about those physics courses I took and have leverage and multiplication of the tool to help me. ;)

But I respect those who do it the old way. :D

Thanks

I took physics too but if you train CMA.... PHYSICS IS USELESS..... trees fear me you know :mst:...as do some psychiatrists :D

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Sweet" it is! Nice work, Brian.

The bottles, now ... can you specify the type of plastic bottles you used or perhaps give the brand of water or other drink that was originally packaged in that plastic? Some bottles have a much more brittle element to them and other water bottles are so soft you can almost barely pick them up, it seems. Comparing them to, say, a Gatorade bottle would be helpful, I think.

Thanks!

:)

Hey shesula,

Glad you enjoyed it!

I mostly use ice mountain (we get it for free) but on this clip I used an assorted mix and match (daisani, ice mountain, etc.) with a couple of diet coke bottles in there as well. The gatorade bottle is definitely thick and probably the thickest out there. these ones are a little less dense than that.
icon6.gif
Gatorade bottles are actually fun to cut when standing on a platform. If you cut towards the top the bottom weight keeps it completely steady. Cut at the bottom and you may have a different result.
icon12.gif

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These two videos have been out for a bit I shot them roughly the same week as the other ones.

Enjoy!

Dagger Thursting
[yt]1ulnvEBPcMM&feature=player_profilepage[/yt]

Slow Motion Cutting
[yt]kj1Bfn-NW5g&feature=channel[/yt]

As you can see the slow motion is pretty cool!
icon6.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK, I must admit it you are giving me ideas and I think it is really cool but I am starting to find it REALLY hard to believe that no bottles were hurt :D

Thanks Brian

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I must admit it you are giving me ideas and I think it is really cool but I am starting to find it REALLY hard to believe that no bottles were hurt :D

Thanks Brian

Hey Xue,

Okay, okay I must confess a bottle or two must have been damaged!
icon10.gif

Still I did recycle!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions